Skinbones Training Log

skinbones

Huzzah! I got my package from weighlifter's warehouse today, including dipping belt and BBSM.

I REALLY like the feel of the Beef Builder gripper! The knurling is great. The spread is 2 15/16" as compared to 2 13/16" for my 2005 #2 and 3" even for my 2005 #3.

The Super Master is an awesome gripper. I don't think enough good things can be said about it as a training gripper.

With that said, there is a slight problem. Although I promised myself I would wait till the weekend to do anymore grip, as my forearms and wrists are shot from bending, I had to try the gripper. I TNS smashed it right out of the package! Didn't try with lefty yet.

Sadly, I have to immediately order the GM. This one better last a bit longer. With the toughness of the new CoC grippers I will probably have to close an Elite before I can get certed on the #3! :rolleyes

A TNS of a Super Master is a good start.

I think that the credit card close of a #3 is harder than closing a standard Elite. Your crushdown needs to be strong to close the #3 in that manner.

Workout this morning:

some HSPU's

2 x white DO

2 x white behind back

2 x white DU

15 x green DO

1 x yellow braced forearm against leg :(

total time: 8 minutes

I added another brick to my "sledgehammer" and the weight is now 11 pounds with a 41" handle. I levered this beast to the face, I think it's harder than a 12lber.

What are you bending behind your back for?

Cuz Im a :trout

Guess what, I decided to do some thinking.

Everyone says DO is so much better, but..

My reverse levering is a lot better than forward, I can lever a 12lb sledge to parallel to the nose, so I sez

why not try DU?

And I loaded up a yellow into my rubberbanded-cordura pads, and bent it an inch off center, about like a blue.

Then I loadz up a BLUE NAIL and bendz that SOB as well. Well, to 45* but off center as well. I will finish er off tonight prolly.

Thanks LeftSide, your mind over matter argument with the red has got me somewhere!

Edited by skinbones

its funny that you say that that guy says that you can pinch more with a bit of space... because for me, that is exactly the way it works!

Left Side, I was talking about where you said the Red was just a mental barrier for you (which seems right, based on you bending 4 1/2" yellows). I sort of had the same problem with bending, until I did the math, comparing torque on a sledge to force needed to bend a nail, and realized I could do it.

its funny that you say that that guy says that you can pinch more with a bit of space... because for me, that is exactly the way it works!

I think it has to do with the width of the pinch. Wide pinch, like blocks, and you have to have the hand on the block, to get the most thumb and finger on each side. Narrow pinch, like 2" or less, and if you have your hand higher up you don't have to stretch the thumb muscle as much (the 1st thumb joint is closer to the other knuckles). I think the difference might be greater for larger hands. Although I didn't really get to try any pinching today, after all that bending!

Workout today

Today was kinda lousy, again. Don't know why. I quit smoking all the time, and didn't get drunk last night. Perhaps it was the political union executive board meeting that crushed my mind for a couple hours before the workout. Note to self: lift on saturday.

Squats:

135# x 5

180 x 5

225 x 5

275 x 5

315 x 3 :whacked

Half Squats:

350# x 2

405# x 1

Farmers Walk (with a shrug bar, full deadlift)

315# x 60', about 20s

360# x 120', about 40s

I have never done these before, it's amazing how light your body feels after you drop the weight!

Dips

bw x 5

50# x 5

70# x 2

cheat plate curled 2x 10kg! I think if I could curl a 60lb dumbbell I could get this strict.

haven't slept much this week, so poor recovery

bending:

1x yellow

finished 1x blue from last time

started 1x blue

1x yellow

tonight:

3 beers

1x yellow

3x blue, two of them off-center (I gotta work on technique!)

2 x 2 whites at a time

The blues aren't that hard anymore, which is great! I think I should save the rest of my yellows and blues as warm-ups, and possibly buy something a little more challenging (none of the bends took more than 10-15s). Maybe 60d although I have heard they vary considerably. I might invest in boltcutters

Edited by skinbones

Left Side, I was talking about where you said the Red was just a mental barrier for you (which seems right, based on you bending 4 1/2" yellows). I sort of had the same problem with bending, until I did the math, comparing torque on a sledge to force needed to bend a nail, and realized I could do it.

Man the red was hugely a mental barrier. I couldn't convince myself that it was possible for someone like me. If I hadn't been stuck in that mental state I would have gotten it sooner. There were also some form issues that needed to be corrected.

And 4.5" yellows was nowhere close to a red. You say you find blues easy? You could bend a 4.5" blue tommorow then. Try it if you don't beleive me.

It's time to get some Grade 5's and 8's and really get rolling.

(And I've never bent a beer before but I hear it's hell on your form!)

Workout 2/28

Military press

80 x 10

120, 120 PR!

Power Clean

135 x 5

160 x 5

Deadlift

225 x 5

315 x 4

385 Haven't deaded in a while so I took it easy

Grip:

1 x yellow

5 x blue (again pretty easy)

could barely close CoC #2 with each hand afterwards!

I will order some grade 2's and grade 5's so as to have an easy warmup bolt and something hard.

Not gonna practice in the next couple weeks as I'll be in London chillin with my friend in his fatty apartment. Maybe I'll bring grippers.

• 1 month later...

Workout 4/5/6. I haven't posted for a month so my log disappeared for a while. Spent a while not sleeping/eating, and I lost the drive to do anything serious. But then, a new friend turned me on to an old favorite: some articles on dragondoor reminded me that I can train every day, not to failure, and that is a lot better than doing nothing/ocassionaly maxing out.

Knee warmup: pistols (one-legged squat)

5xR, 5xL

Deadlift unracks (1" above knee)

315, 405, 455, 455

Deads (conventional, no rest)

275, 315, 315, 315

Deads (sumo, no rest)

275, 315, 315

-doesn't help me any over conventional

Deads (conventional, 2" block)

225, 275, 275, 275

One-armed deads

R: 135, 185, 185, 235

L: 135, 185, 185, broke 235

One-armed suitcase dead

R: 135, 185, 185, 185

L: 135, 185, 185

-the 135 was damn light; maybe I will work on cleaning that.

One-armed pullup negatives

R: 6 seconds

L: 4 seconds

-I managed to hold 2 seconds or so at the top with rightie, which is good.

I will probably work on a gradual lowering of the dead rack till I can regularly pull the 455 off the floor, at which point I should be able to max at 10 wheels = 495. I have 9 months to lower that 9", so it seems doable.

I ordered some G5 bolts (Thanks Leftside!). I warmed up with a blue but could not get the G5. The blue seemed more difficult than normal, so I will probably be able to get the G5 when I am feeling stronger. I've been out of town the whole weekend, and rather drunk and weak.

bending:

G5 - 10* kink, not too god

60d posting nail - 30* kink bare-handed

Good work on the G5 kink, it won't be long at all, once you do some volume on blues or something.

Careful on the barehanded stuff, it's a quick way to end your career.

Thanks Leftside,

Also I meant not too good instead of what I said about the G5 kink. Those things are tough as nails!

Last night a drunk kid was playing mercy with me, he grabbed my ring and pinkie with his whole darn hand and almost got me cuz I couldn't use my index or middle. Well I ended up popping his knuckles but it took like half a minute. Then I crushed his other hand, so he would remember in the morning.

I was pissed off because I've been feeling so weak lately. I have to fix that.

squats

5x135

5x185

5x225

5x275

2x315, too lazy to go for a second set, really just laze.

RT:

R: failed at 150

L: failed at 140 :whacked

grippers - I cleaned these today which makes a difference

R: #2 2x3, BBSM 3x1

L: #2 3x1, BBSM 2 attempts

levering:

R: 13#

L: 11#

bending: had to put on a show at the dining hall when a friend asks me "what's that bag" (It was the Ironmind bag of nails, I went to dinner right after lifting). Then she's like oh... i see...

cranked off some blues, it was the easiest bends i've ever done!

Of course, I had to lay on the bs for the guys around, telling them I've seen girls close the #1 and bend yellows and "anyone can do it"

The dining hall worker came by and got the BBSM to parallel, not bad! I had to of course grind a rep to keep on top.

This would have been the time to put away that G5, but i didn't. when I got home the adrenaline was gone as bending a yellow was pretty hard. so sad...