The Dude Writes It Down

TennisDude

Well, here I go at this.

12/10/05

bending

Weeeeaaaaakkkk! I need to start actually using tight wraps from now on as well.

4 - Galvinized Timber Ties

1- Slightly Kinked a 4.5" Blue

1- G5 to 100 degrees :(

1- 5.5" FBBC to 100 degrres :(

Also, tried attempts at bending my 80 degree g5. No such luck. It seems I am at a plateau. I am going to try my hardest not to bend for a week.

And see that you get a positive a attitude, bending is all mental.

Like everything, but tennis. :D

To quote tennislegend Boris Becker:

"Tennis isn't just strength and speed it's dental, too"

You haven' got much in your log much, but it sounds like you are just using double over. I'd suggest getting in somebends using all 3 styles at this point to really built a base, it really helped my make a jump when I was just getting into grade 5' and 8's. And sledge levering cannot be stressed enough.

I concur. Sledge it up!

-Sean

Well, I decided to also include my lifting progress. I am basically starting over from scratch, with VERY little strength. The good news is that it means I only have to go up. My BBing routine last year, with lackluster form, did nothing for me strength wise.

And so it begins...

12/18/05

Footwork

Front Leg Hops [L & R legs]

-20 x 2

Back Leg Hops [L & R legs]

-20 x 2

Side-to-Side Hops [L & R legs]

-20 x 2

Heel Walks x 2

Toe Walks x 2

Squat Jumps

-5 x 2

Lunge Jumps [L & R legs]

-5 x 2

Knee Stability 1-Legged Balances [L & R legs]

- 1:00

Comments:

-Took less time than when I did these yesterday. The 1-Legged Balances seemed to hurt my feet at the end, but I can see how they are valuable.

Pull Ups

1- BW-20 x 2

2- BW-50 x 6

3- BW-70 x 2

4- BW-70 x 10

5 -BW-80 x 9

Comments:

-I was supposed to do chin ups. The machine that was working made the underhand grip VERY uncomfortable.

Squats

1- 95 x 10

2- 95 x 10

3- 95 x 10

Comments:

-Was very uncomfortable in the arms, back, and general upper torso. This is probably me not used to the squatting form, and not being flexibile enough. Didn't feel anything much at all in the quadriceps. Was going to just warm up with this amount, but realized that it felt pretty uncomfortable.

Assistance Work

Low Box Squats

1- 75 x 3

2- 45 x 7

Speed Squats

1- 45 x 10

Walkouts

1- 205 x 3

2- 185 x 7

Comments:

-My hips are the weak factor. It was very hard controlling my descent and rising off of the box. Speed squats felt good, and started to make the squat feel more comfortable. Got into a groove. Walkouts were really cool. I could definitely see the advantage to these both physically and mentally.

Overall Comments

One thing is for certain, and that is that I have a lot of work ahead of me. However, I am ready for the challenge.

Thanks,

Chris

12/19/05 - 12/20/05

Footwork

Comments:

-Tried to do everything more explosively, and without rest time during the actual exercises. Did 10x2 Squat Jumps. Did 1:30 for the 1-Legged Balances. I wasn't feeling anything in my knee, only pain in the soles of my shoes, which seems odd.

Dumbbell Shrugs

1- 65/per DB x 10

2- 65/per DB x 10

3- 65/per DB x 10

Comments:

-Didn't seem very hard on the traps.

Deadlifts

1- 135 x 10

2- 155 x 10

3- 165 x 10

Comments:

-Higher reps on Deadlifts are rather taxing.

BTRM Deadlifts - Sumo Style

1- 95 x 10

Comments:

-Was very easy. Wanted to just get a feel for it as the Sumo Style provided an interesting aspect. Exact height is unknown, but I will measure next time I go to the gym. I used the top board and two blocks on each side.

Hyperextensions

1- BW+25 X 10

Comments:

-I like this lift a lot.

Speed Deadlifts

1- 95 x 10

Comments:

-Again, needed to get the feel for this. I really want to find a good assistance exercise that works on my explosiveness off of the floor, as that is where I believe my sticking point is.

Cardio

-11:30 on some weird Elliptical machine. Burned around 120 calories, or so it said...

Overall Comments

Enjoyed the workout. Am looking forward to doing the 5x5 Deadlift workout. Was scheduled to do Benching and Barbell Curls today, but decided against it. I had done some random bending earlier, which I didn't keep track of what I did, and my biceps were still sore.

12/21/05

Warmup:

-Jump Rope

Footwork

Comments:

-Did the 1-legged balances on a balance ball. It looked like one half of a swiss ball.

Calf Raise Holds for Time

1- 110 x 15 seconds

2- 135 x 20 seconds

3- 150 x 15 seconds

4- 150 x 10 seconds

5- 150 x 25 seconds

Comments:

-I liked these a lot! I wonder if I could do fast-paced reps for Calf Raises, as they might help my Fast Twitch fibers...

Overall Comments:

Didn't do Plyometrics, so this was a rather short day.

12/23/05

Crossfit WOD

3 rounds of 21, 15, and 9 reps for:

-45 pound thrusters

-Pushups

Comments:

-Toned down the weights, and replaced pullups for pushups. Did not track time.

Bending

DU

-2 IM Whites

-1 IM Green

Reverse

-Slightly kinked 1 IM Yellow

DO

-1 50D

-1 IM Blue

-1 60D

-Kinked 60D to roughly 10 degrees

-Kinked KURT Blue to 90 degrees

Comments:

-Last bending session I had I ended up giving myself cuts and sores on my index finger and middle finger. They hadn't healed. So I probably shouldn't have done this session. When I started failing to bend the nail fully was when the skin on my middle finger tore and I began to bleed. Hardcore. :laugh

Overall Comments:

Interesting workout. Crossfit was tough. Bending hurt a lot. The 6" of 1/4" CRS KURT sent me seem a lot tougher, but that could have been the sore fingers talking. Rust doesn't have a factor on the strength of nails does it?

Rust roughens the surface and that weakens the steal + steal gets thinner while rusting.

But a nail has to be very rusty to get noticeably weaker.

Nice bending keep it up.

Edited by honk

good work dude. actually writing something down :)

the rust on ur nails wont affect them. unless they are sooooo rusty if u tapped it on a pillow and rust poored off :)

Rust roughens the surface and that weakens the steal + steal gets thinner while rusting.

But a nail has to be very rusty to get noticeably weaker.

Nice bending keep it up.

I was asking about it making it more tough.

His stock is much much harder than IM stock. I think FBBC might be easier than KURT stock, at least from what I have compared thus far.

Polish the nail it should make them harder to bend, cause u eliminate the notch effect of a rough surface.

A VERY rough surface can weaken steal about 20%.

Thats why high performance conrods are polished - to make them more stable.

Has nothing to do with wit less drag or the like.

Edited by honk

This is the routine I am in the process of starting with:

Assistance Exercises: I will be picking from the pool of exercises. Probably 3-5 exercises. The list isn't a fixed one.

Bench:

Board Presses, floor presses, shrugs, tricep extensions, chinups, close-grip

bench presses, dumbbell bench presses, sandbag presses, shoulder presses.

Deadlift:

romanian deadlifts, glute ham raises, hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, extra ROM deadlifts, speed deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, sumo deadlifts.

Squat:

Box squats, speed squats, zercher squats, front squats, wide squats, jerk grip squats, pin squats, pause squats, lockouts, walkouts, good mornings.

Week 1

Monday - 3x10

Chinups - 3x10

Squat - 3x10

3-5 Assistance Exercises

Wednesday - 3x10

Barbell Curls - 3x10

Bench - 3x10

3-5 Assistance Exercises

Friday - 3x10

Deadlift - 3x10

dumbbell shrugs: 3x10

3-5 Assistance Exercises

Week 2

Monday - 5x5

Chinups - 5x5

Squat - 5x5

Wednesday - 5x5

Barbell Curls - 5x5, and after 5x5, throw in 2 sets of singles on cheat curl, only add like 10lbs max to your 5x5 weight

Bench - 5x5

Friday - 5x5

Deadlift - 5x5

Dumbbell shrugs 5x5

GPP:

-Crossfit will be done, hopefully every day.

-Strongman stuff (e.g., Farmers Walks, Sled Training, Thickbar Work, Sandbag Work)

Cardio:

-After my gym workouts, I like to finish with some cardio, whatever that may be.

-I also am going to be playing more tennis.

12/27/05

Deadlifts

1- 135 x 5

2- 165 x 5

3- 185 x 5

4- 205 x 5

5- 185 x 5

Comments:

-I loved this workout. 5x5 rules as do Deadlifts.

Dumbbell Shrugs

1- 65/hand x 5

2- 75/hand x 5

3- 75/hand x 5

4- 75/hand x 5

5- 75/hand x 5

Comments:

-Was an interesting workout after my deadlifts. Didn't feel it that much in the traps, so maybe I should do barbell shrugs instead. Felt it more in my hands after the deadlifts than anywhere.

Overall Comments:

Pretty short workout. Did it in a new gym. Looking forward to more of the 5x5 routine.

I dont think you need shrugs in there yet, youll deads will get ur traps big and strong. Next time give some rows a go? Much better movement. Traps arent really a big necessity till you start pulling big weights.

just my 2 cents