Grip Competitions

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allman

• David Horne

• bseedot

Wow, I must admit I thought you'd actually read my post and the very next two are not at all constructive (sorry Liz). Must be my ego thinking that you'd go beyond that...

Prove (and this applies to all) that you want the sport to go forward by posting as per my previous suggestion and not picking at each other

Mobsterone,

I have been taking notes, but things are really just rambling on.   The main problem, as I see it, in having International or National competitions, is the problem of standardization of equipment.   Your pinch grip example is one of many.  David is using a 3.5” dumbbell bar in the upcoming competition, I have a 3-inch from PDA and don’t know where I would get a 3.5 to practice on.  Plates vary in thickness, surface, weight, etc.   I think until standard equipment is used then true international competition would be difficult.   Standardization is my goal for now.  

Vince’s pinch machine in Australia really got me thinking about this a long time ago.  What good is it to have a world competition on a machine that only one exists?  How would others train on the thing?   It would be totally unfair to all men, or perhaps unfair to everyone except to allman.

It has to said that people who train grip are part of a minute

subculture. People who want to take part in grip contests are part of an even smaller group. That being said David Horne is doing very well with his competitions. It can be said that given the present state of things his is the number one contest. The time is a long way off when standardized events and equipment are used. Presently few can afford to travel to take part in a contest even within their own country. David is doing the very best he can and is a pioneer. Records can only be for the competition in which they are set and should not be claimed as records in general.

Well said Old guy.

We have Iron Grip records which are set/broken only at our Iron Grip comps, using the exact same apparatus every time.

David