• DuTCH

• FrankyBoy

• David Horne

Do I really need to come over and lift it?? :D

So stop talking and get it up.

j/k :calm

Well done so far, Jim!! :bow

Keep the good work and you own that monster in no time. :rock

Broke the floor with her unassisted at least 3 times tonight. Biggest lift was around 3 to 4". The beast has almost been tamed :)

Finished off with some two hand lifts and one hand lowers for reps.

Jim, where are the updates? :D

Thanks Ben :)

Franky

The update is that nothing has changed. It still stays stuck to the floor!

I did try the 50lb blob tonight though after a tonne of other grip work and it felt nice and light :). Did loads on the TTK too and then managed a two finger lift of the 50lber which I was pleased with. I am trying to work out the mechanics of the one finger blob lift but I think that it's just going to end in tears and possibly a damaged tendon. Finished blob work with about 20 or so 2 hand lift/ one hand lowers. By the end of that I couldn't budge it!! It's great way to train for the blob.

Other highlight of tonights workout include 110kg and 112.5kg Rolling Thunder lifts. 115kg and 113.75kg were off the ground but didn't qualify as a proper lift. I'm really enjoying this one and trying to stay in Dave's slipstream. We are only a few weeks into this cycle so hopefully I can push it up a little more towards the magic 120kg :).

Holy crap! A 112,5kg RT lift!! That's just amazing! :bow

Any insights on the cycle/ workout you are doing with the RT? :)

Thanks Theo. Just doing a few singles and some holds at the minute.

Like I said, just trying to stay with Dave. If they hadn't changed the rules to no thumbless, Dave would have the record by now. That always puzzled me as the majority of people find thumbless harder - I do.

:bow for the RT lifts.

Guess I just identified another weak event of mine. :whacked

Thanks Ben :)

Franky

The update is that nothing has changed.  It still stays stuck to the floor!

I did try the 50lb blob tonight though after a tonne of other grip work and it felt nice and light :).  Did loads on the TTK too and then managed a two finger lift of the 50lber which I was pleased with.  I am trying to work out the mechanics of the one finger blob lift but I think that it's just going to end in tears and possibly a damaged tendon.  Finished blob work with about 20 or so 2 hand lift/ one hand lowers.  By the end of that I couldn't budge it!! It's great way to train for the blob.

Other highlight of tonights workout include 110kg and 112.5kg Rolling Thunder lifts.  115kg and 113.75kg were off the ground but didn't qualify as a proper lift.  I'm really enjoying this one and trying to stay in Dave's slipstream.  We are only a few weeks into this cycle so hopefully I can push it up a little more towards the magic 120kg :).

Your RT is awesome and great work on that huge new blob you have :bow

• 1 year later...

Thought I may as well update this as I've started doing some grip work again and completed my first training session for the comp in Munsterland today with Dave. I won't bore you with the weights at the moment but in summary the training went as follows:

Grippers: OK as haven't trained them forever. Thankfully the 3 was still there right handed but a little more work is required before I take the next step up. Left hand needs a little more before I get the SM.

Pinch: left wrist still plagues my pinch but I managed a respectable weight. I'm sure that I can get into the 90kg bracket with a few weeks training.

V bar: Respectable both hands but held off a little as it was the first week.

Axel deads: got up to about 160kg but my deadlift is weak (maybe I am too wiry at the moment theo ;)).

Loading: did a variety of lifts including; blobs, hubs, pinch and thick bar. Had to lower the weights a little left handed though :(.

We finished off with some blob work.

Didn't reverse bend today as my right wrist is still sore from last weeks G8.

All in all a pretty average (but fun) session but the important thing is that I’ve started training for the comp :).

Good luck with you contest preparation training, Jim! I will follow your log.

Jim, nice job starting up again and getting serious for the comp. Looking forward to competing against you, and by the time it's May, you may even have thickened up through the deadlifts ;):D

Nice Jim.

Did I get that right?

First Axle session since long and 160kg ?? :blink

Is your lefty painfree?

Cool, you started a log for MGC prep!

Wow! A nice "start!" :mosher

Looking forward to read the log!!!

Good luck

T

Franky, left is weak and painful. Pinch causes the most issues at the moment :(.

Very sore head this morning after a night on the ale. Went through motions anyway but left out V bar and deads as feared my head may explode :(.

Grippers: Ok. There was a slight improvement over last week and the wrist doesn't seem to giving me any issues. The left is still very weak but it is getting stronger.

Pinch: still causing me pain. Managed to equal last weeks best lift with a slightly wider set up.

Loading: had about 9 lifts set up to complete in 90 secs including 2 x 20kg plates, 3 x 10 kg plates, block weights, blob, hubs, thick bar. I got 6 within the time limit. Dave beasted me on this and got all 9 lifts. Very impressive. I then watered the events down for my left hand and put in mediocre performance.

Reverse bending: no steel, just bending machine. Tried to do second setting with the hard spring but was WAY off (sorry Theo). Came down the settings and managed 10 reps on the first setting to finish. This really is a great piece of kit and I'm not just saying that cause Dave's my friend!

Pretty good session but more importantly it was fun and it cured my hangover :)

Yes, David told me already on your poor performance with the wrist developer :D I think a few sessions and you'll be good for it!

Hope you can get that left healed up, right looks strong in loading!

Are you keeping those high numbers you pulled on v-bar today on the down low?? :tongue

Theo, they were warm-ups for you - honestly ;). I have some work to do on that lift. I am weak in general at the minute.

Pinch was way off the boil today, which surprised me as I lifted 2 x 20kg left handed for the first time on Friday.

Grippers were Ok, but again a little down - I think this was because I was doing some gripper work between sets on Friday. In general, they are coming along though - even the left is only a little behind what it used to be.

Just did some reps on the axel: (105 x 10 x 2) as I need to do some work load before dropping down to singles.

Didn't bend today after Fridays G8 5.5 attempt.

Had my friend perform some sports massage on my left arm today. He thinks that some of the scare tissue has shifted since my last (and first) session but believes that we have a way to go before it's sorted. I seem to have scar tissue in various places along the top of my forearm which is strange I would have expected it to be around the wrist area.

The pain involved in this process is beyond horrific - I think the b'stard is enjoying it to be honest! It's basically 20 odd minutes of shear hell. Hopefully it's doing some good tho. Gotta get this sorted in time for the comp. Once weekly sessions from now on...

Well, if this painful road leads to a better wrist/ forearm, it is worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little training today. Have had a bad right wrist for a few weeks due to not warming up properly before doing a big bend. Anyway, I muddled through:

Grippers: Best was a three right handed and RB 210 left. Not good by anyone’s standards, Close to Super Master left handed now which is as good as it's been. The right wrist injury really seemed to affect gripper strength.

Pinch: Started with 48mm set up and things didn't feel good so I upped the width to 58mm and managed a solid 85kg. 87.5kg came off the floor with the front loaded with the extra 2.5kg.

V bar: worked up to 170kg each hand. Right hand lift was borderline though. I think that this was a combo of the wrist pain and the fact that I'd just lost skin on the left hand. Please with this though :).

Finished with some Rolling Thunder on a newish handle. Worked up to about 85kg and then dropped off for reps with 73kg - managed 18 right handed and 10 left handed.

Can't see myself causing much trouble at Munsterland so I'll really be there to see the likes of Theo, Chad and George battle it out. I'm out on my mountain bike whenever the weather allows so grip is taking a bit of a back seat :(.

All for now :).