One Arm Bandit

jimwylie1

Hammer and no set grippers are now a daily feature so I won't bother posting number etc as I don't follow any set rep and set pattern.

Tuesday 27/09/2005

Hammer lever to skull

Right hand: 5.5kg, 7.25kg, 8kg, 8.5kg (fail: came back up but went over left side)

2 hand Pinch (44mm)

53.1kg, 62.1, 67.1kg

Then 75kg @ 64mm (Fail)

Left not doing a hell of a lot here :(

V bar

Right hand: 100kg, 120kg, 140kg, 183.3kg (calibrated total weight).

OHL thumbless

80kg, 90kg, 100kg 110kg (good, but took for a walk! would be fail in comp), 112.5kg (Big tilt. Borderline pass as one end just over knee height)

Grippers

Right: SM + 1 14kg 10secs plus some other fails at #3 etc

Left: A MAJOR MILESTONE!!! I CLOSED THE TRAINER LEFT HANDED :D:D:D

All in all a good solid session.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimwylie1

• DuTCH

• FrankyBoy

• David Horne

Awesome vbar again Jim. :bow

Congrats on the Trainer lefty. No kidding here btw. I needed 7 months after my injury to close the Trainer again.

Yup, pretty scary V-bar lift.. Aren't you bothered by skin tears or in a lot of pain lifting heavy like that?

Yup, pretty scary V-bar lift.. Aren't you bothered by skin tears or in a lot of pain lifting heavy like that?

Theo

I only did four lifts. The more lifts you do the more likely you are to get a tear.

I am not scared of the pain or skin tears. If they happened, they happen :blush . You've gotta have a positive mental attitude and be prepared to suffer the consequences. It's the only way to approach this lift. As soon as fear comes into it you are doomed.

That aside, I have been taking better care of my hands recently following Dave's advise. This should help avoid skin damage

Thanks, sounds like an idea to give just some good hard lifts and call it a day with that V-bar....

Ooh, you mean you are moisturizing now?? :)

Four lifts? I call it a day after 15-18, but I am probably overdoing it as usual.

Get those 167.5-something in the third lift needed to beat the current (un-confirmed) WR, then give it all for the fourth. :bow

Cheers Dave.

01/10/2005

Pinch lift (64mm): 45.5kg, 55.5kg, 65.5kg, 70.5kg, 75.5kg

Really pleased with this. Left hand seems to be coming on in this movement. Hopefully this will improve a little more by the time the comp comes around.

Grippers (no set)

Never really done any no set training but I am starting to think it's the way forward. Right hand only.

SM x 3, #3 x 2(down to 1/2cm),

Grippers (1 1/4kg strap hold): #2 30 seconds, SM 8 seconds.

• 1 month later...

Well, the comp is almost upon us and my wrist is still recovering. The good news is that I can compete left handed in every event now. The bad news is that my lifts are way down on the those of the right hand.

My weakest event is the grippers - I can barely hold the weight for the 10 seconds with the #1 so this will probably be my best lift on the day for that event and hand.

My goal is to try and finish better than last place but I'll have to see if my right hand can make up the deficit. Hopefully a big v bar is on the cards too :).

It's going to be great to see the battle for 1st place. Still wouldn't know who I'd put my money on...?!!

Good Luck - especially on a new WR V-bar lift!

Here are some pics of my latest acquisition - the GAZZA blob! It was kindly donated by the man himself as a prize at this weekends comp :bow. I was lucky enough to win it.

I've just spent about 30 mins preparing the beast for lifting. It was totally slick before hand and impossible to lift in it's raw state. It is now coated with excess chalk which has made for a surface very similar to the seasoned plates of the euro pinch apparatus.

I believe it weighs around 58lb and feels bigger than a standard blob. I can't lift it at the moment but I've promised Big Steve that it's due some airtime sometime soon, so I'll be training on it regularly. I did manage to lift it about an inch by applying some pressure to my thumb with two of the fingers of my free hand. This seems like a good way to train for it as the thumb is the weakest link.

Here are the pics:

Gazza Blob pic 1

Gazza blob pic 2

Gazza blob pic 3

Here are some pics of my latest acquisition - the GAZZA blob!  It was kindly donated by the man himself as a prize at this weekends comp  :bow.  I was lucky enough to win it.

I've just spent about 30 mins preparing the beast for lifting.  It was totally slick before hand and impossible to lift in it's raw state.  It is now coated with excess chalk which has made for a surface very similar to the seasoned plates of the euro pinch apparatus.

I believe it weighs around 58lb and feels bigger than a standard blob.  I can't lift it at the moment but I've promised Big Steve that it's due some airtime sometime soon, so I'll be training on it regularly.  I did manage to lift it about an inch by applying some pressure to my thumb with two of the fingers of my free hand.  This seems like a good way to train for it as the thumb is the weakest link.

Here are the pics:

Gazza Blob pic 1

Gazza blob pic 2

Gazza blob pic 3

That thing looks huge :blink Glad to see you back at training and hell wish I had even half your pinch to attempt thta sucker :yikes

• 2 weeks later...

I managed a full deadlifted of the Gazza blob this evening with the two finger assistance (pushing down on the thumb).

I also managed a lift of about 10 inch with a one finger assist.

More thumb strength is required :)

You will get it you beast! That is the nastiest blob ever made. Gazza what were you thinking? 58#s and the slickest steel! Why? Just why? :whacked Beyond world class feat!

Blob master!! :rock

how many known people have lifted that gazza blob? it is enourmous!

Priznr,

It hasn't been lifted as yet. I can testify that it's harder than the 50lb blob but there's bound to be someone out there who can lift it with or without some additional training.

Gazza blob update:

Managed a full deadlift with assistance of only one finger tonight. I feel that I would have broken the ground with her unassisted tonight if I'd gone after it fresh. I'm pleased with this as last nights training was tough and thumbs got hit hard.

I tried to re-create the one finger assist feat and get a photo but only managed a six inch lift second time around :(.

Finished with some holds - taking it up two handed and lowering it with one hand.