Global Grip Challenge 2005

Jedd Johnson

Hmm, my post on this thread from a couple hours ago is gone. Anyways, nice work guys on the choice of events. Very innovative.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• smitty

• Too Tall

• Kurt Lane

PM me the gist of your post, Clay.

-Jedd-

Jedd,

The best way to run the Pinch in my opinion is to;

1. Use a rising bar.

2. Use different widths, ie. start off thin then go wide, or vice versa.

3. Get everyone to try the apparatus and state their widths before, no changing when chosen.

It should run smooth, and be the definitive pinch event.

David

Jedd,

1. Use a rising bar.

3. Get everyone to try the apparatus and state their widths before, no changing when chosen.

David

I would even have the competitors to decide on their pinch width before the competition in order to save time.

Jedd,

1. Use a rising bar.

David

1. Use a rising bar. - GOT IT

2. Use different widths, ie. start off thin then go wide, or vice versa. - OK

3. Get everyone to try the apparatus and state their widths before, no changing when chosen.- OK

Thanks David and Mikael for all your advice

Guys,

What do you do, keep taking the weight off and slipping these disks on?? It seems like that would take an extraordinary amount of time to manage?

-Jedd-

Its seems that if the pinch width varies that they would do a rising bar for each width. With only a limited amount of plates and thus limited pinch widths there should only be 3 or 4 different widths that can be used, but to have a rising bar with each respective width could be time consuming. Sounds like a cool event though because not everyone trains with 3.75" pinch width. Some have an advantage with thinner widths and other with thicker. One idea is that since you are having hand size divisions is that you have all the small hand fellas go at one and all larger hand fellas go at another if time will be an issue.

T

Jedd,

Run through the same width with a rising bar, all lifts, period. Then increase the width, and do the same. You may have about 4 widths that people will require. Just keep the contest running quickly, by having the next lifter ready at the side and raring to go.

David

Awww. Looks like I won't be making it this year. I've got plans to be in VA that weekend. :(

That stinks! Looks like there will be a new women's champion this year.

As everyone knows - the rules sheet is a living document. Jedd and I are in discussions with David and Mikael and we are finalizing our thoughts around a few events. But we will have the final rules posted very soon - within a couple of days.

Thank you for everyone's interest - looks like the contest will be huge this year again!! :rock

Of course - spectators and families welcome too!

Just a couple thoughts I have - big jump between COC#2 and COC#3 grippers - right in the middle of this range seems to be where many people fall. Perhaps a 2+ of some kind.

Also very big jump between 8# sledge and 12# sledge - perhaps a 10# one in the middle? This also seems to be the range where many fall.

Both items are easily available and not prohibative in cost.

Jedd,

thanx for the comment. i can't promise you a competition this year, not because of fear of failure or those type of reasons, but just because i am plain not ready (ok, so maybe there is some fear there). there are def some pts in my training that i need to work on, and am currently doing so....also, i have promised myself that i need to be a 3 closer before venturing out and attacking other aspects, including competition (which is why i have also gone on hiatus from bending-it was hard, but i had to reevaluate my goals).

i came to a couple conclusions lately. one is to focus on my strengths. i started gripping, i sucked, i trained, i got good. so i am keeping at it and trying to stay with that momentum. second, i gotta get back to my basics. i gotta train the way MY body responds, not what works for others. so i re-enter the grip world with renewed ferocity; taking no prisoners now.

all i want right now is to climb up that mash monster ladder. to me, that is my competition. just me and the gripper.

but jedd, i do promise you this: i will enter a competition soon after that 3 close. and i will say this too. when i enter, i will be ready. no half assed entry, but with that 'do it to it' attitude. so i hope all you guys will be looking forward to that future day.

but i can't wait to be a spectator. i can't imagine how cool it would be to see a lot of the guys there (all these guys i talk to and respect and i have never met them in my life); after a while, you begin to only imagine people behind a computer screen. time to actually meet and see these people and witness some of the awe of the their feats in person.

hopefully we will get a bunch of us gripboard groupies together. i know a couple of guys from school who are into it. it would be sweet to carpool and take a weekend vacation from college.

thanx for the comments though. i appreciate them a lot.

nick

Nick,

Come and enjoy, buddy! Your reasoning is sound in my opinion.

-Jedd-

I agree with Chris. It might be nice to have a 10 lb'er on the sledge and some time of filler between the 2 and the 3. Maybe a supermaster or whatever is available. Looks like its going to be an awesome contest no doubt.

Austin

Chris / Austin -

Good feedback. Jim and I will talk on it tomorrow, and see what we can pull out of our chalk laden gripper bucket!

-Jedd-

P.S. Keep the feedback coming, guys.

Had some great feedback in this thread and great feedback in the PM's. We will be making changes and upload the new rules very soon.

The levering event has been filmed AND it is a great event - let me tell you. Very strict isolation of the wrist. We all took turns and it will be a good test of strength.

I will get the video uploaded tonight guys. Just can't do it right away because Iam at my parents right now.

-Jedd-

Update for you guys - it is 11:48 PM right now. I started doing this at 9 PM. I have dial-up so it is incredibly slow. The video still has about 27 minutes to go.

Smitty or I will have to post this video on DieselCrew.com tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay - it happens when you live in the boon docks, unfortunately. High speed connection not available, don't ya know.

-Jedd-

Great job on the levering event, I love it. No more conspiracy theories regarding different bending styles. I have always wanted to see a levering event in a grip contest. Keep up the good work guys. . .

Austin

Everything looks great fellas!

Made sure to get Sunday 18th off from work, so we will be there Friday-Sunday.

Looking forward to it!

-Rick

I think you guys did a really good job designing a system to remove a lot of varience from levering. The video is very clear and explains it perfectly. I think the event is great, my only advice would be to fill in the event with more hammers, the jump from 12 to 20 is too great. Smaller step sizes would be perfect (6,8,10,12,16,20).

As with anything this is my opinion and you guys do not neeed to listen at all. It is really cool what you have come up with.

Greg

Edited by gamidon

Smitty and Jedd,

the levering event is perfect :mosher Thanks for the well explained video :D All the events and the rules are very well explained with plenty of detail...I can tell that you guys put a lot of hard work and thought into this competition :rock

I will send my check and entry form to you next week Smitty.

Thanks,

Chad