New Challenge!

David Horne

THE CHALLENGE:

To snap a Challenge Bar in an unbraced fashion. Bars that are available are from 127kg to 290kg! Snapping a bar is a far greater test of wrist strength than just bending one. A maximum of 2 bars per person per transaction are available due to limited stocks and high interest.

THE RULES:

Usual unbraced rules apply. Time limit of 5 minutes.

CERTIFICATION:

Official attempts must be performed in front of a video camera and the package must be unsealed until the time of the attempt. The package must be opened and the seal broken on camera to prove that the bar has not been tampered with. The time starts from the first effort at bending. All bars will be labelled. Keep the pieces: they are very limited and becoming collectable!

COST:

ALL PRICES INCLUDE POSTAGE.

ALL PRICES IN GBP STERLING (approx US$1.9 = £1).

UK: 1 bar = £1.60

UK: 2 bars = £2.50

EUROPE: 1 bar = £2.40

EUROPE: 2 bars = £3.50

USA & REST OF WORLD: 1 bar = £3.00

USA & REST OF WORLD: 2 bars = £4.60

PAYMENT METHODS:

Paypal in sterling (Please DO NOT send payment in dollars. If you have trouble with this I can invoice you directly in sterling)

UK cheques/postal orders

NO international money orders/US checks (Sorry!)

David

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Zakath

• zpf

• ironorr

Good to hear the challenge bars are back! I'd always hoped to get my hands on some to try, so my wishes are answered.

To ask, is there any sort of chart comparing their strengths vs. the usual standards (G5, G8, 1/4" square, IM Red etc.)?

Thanks much for the info on the bars - I'm sure I'll be getting some in the future to see if I can get them!

VeGripper

I've tested various bars and bolts in the past, and of course the bars varied. These are the figures to compare with the Challenge bars.

IM blue = 200k

IM red = 270-290k

G5 6" = 212.5-230k

G8 6" = 235K

U.S. 60d nail = 180-250k

U.K. 6" nail = 160k

David

I have tried snapping one of my old challenge bars, that was some hard work!

After much movement either way the bar finally snapped and I was pleased with the result. The bar I snapped was a 82kg bar, which highlights for me just what a challenge this really is! I normally bend six inch nails to keep with the feeling.

I will certainly need to refine my technique and wraps, I am keen to keep trying this type of exercise.

Has anyone got any advice for snapping bars to stop them turning over when you straighten them?

I will be looking forward to seeing videos if they are posted of people bending and snapping these which starting at 127kg is :bow .

This will certainly be a real challenge for benders out there!

Just out of curiosity David, have you tried any, I know you have moved onto arm wrestling, however, I was wondering if you had tried any!

Hi Chris,

Good to see you having a go. I remember breaking some big bars when I was doing all the bending but can't remember which ones. Funnily enough I got a package from Franky Boy today with a few euro bars in it, and then went about bending. I haven't done this for 9 months, and with my bad wrist I was pleased to do it. It felt fun, maybe I'll get the bug again. Probably best to come in with some light bars and try to break them, this way I will get a workout with some light resistance.

Keep it up!

David

Chris,

Just snapped a 127k bar in 2mins 30 secs unbraced.

Felt good on my forearms and wrist - nice pump!

Hey Dave, I am going to purchase some of these bars but I am curious as to which ones? I just started bending again from taking a long break and the best bend I have done is about an average 60D. I have never attempted snapping a nail, so given what I can bend, which two bars would you recommend me purchasing to certify with??? Thanks

Edited by ironorr

David,

Wow, 127kg bar in 2 minutes 30 seconds, the bar must have been smoking!

That is certainly most impressive! I will have to work a lot more on my leverage and wrist strength building before I can work up to anything serious in this field!

Glad to hear your wrist was up to the challenge, it is a great feeling in the forearm muscles and an intensive work out!

Chris

Bill,

Thanks for pinning this.

Ironorr,

Well I haven't bent anything really for 9 months, and started again at the lowest strength, which was with the 127.5k bar. So this is probably best for yourself.

Chris,

My wrist feels stiff today, and in fact strangely it feels better! Weird, ehh! I also did the 132.5k bar last night in a quicker time of 1 min 10 secs. I think I will slowly go through the bars, it seems to be helping. As I mentioned elsewhere I think that my wrist got injured armwrestling because of my lack of wrist training. Scandalous!!

Not again,

David

We are only going to start video or contest confirmation at the 180kg bar, so please tell me your progress and I'll put you on the list.

David

Today snapped:

142.5k bar in 2mins 3 secs 6th June 2005 Stafford, England

It's feeling nice on my wrist.

Today snapped:

147.5k bar in 2mins 50 secs 7th June 2005 Stafford, England

Also:

Richard Scott 147.5k bar in 2mins 33 secs 7th June 2005 Stafford, England

David,

You are going through them rather quickly! With the benefit of making your wrist stronger, I guess the bug has bitten again :)

With some good results so far from you and Richard Scott, I look forward to seeing more results rolling in!

I have started doing some more leverage work to help the cause, it wasnt until I started this that I realised how much I had let this go! :(

Just out of interest, of the other benders on the board, how manyof you have tried snapping bars that you bend?

Chris

Today failed with a 160k bar. I used up the whole 5 minutes, never stopping. There are a few fractures on the bar. Anyway, my forearms are so pumped I can barely type this!

:whacked

Carried on and finished the 160k bar in another 1min 30 secs, total 6mins 30secs.

Elizabeth had a go at the 127.5k bar and snapped it in 7min 21secs. :bow

A great effort, and hopefully she can get the speed down and snap it in the 5 minutes limit.

David

Great progress, David! Keep it up! Congrats to Liz :rock

Hi,

No bracing at all is allowed. We are using mostly 2 techniques. The first and one that is most popular is the bend reverse style, then crush and pull apart at chest height till it snaps. The other is mixing this technique with some levering back in a reverse style position. Either way it's a good workout as my forearms still feel it today!

David

Elizabeth Talbot 127.5k bar in 4mins 55 secs 9th June 2005 Stafford, England

:bow

Ok I'm a bit pleased. I've just snapped an IronMind Blue in half. Outside of 5 minutes, and boy was it a workout!!

I did it in 10mins 7 secs 9th June 2005 Stafford, England

I now have some nice blisters on my hands!!

David

Elizabeth Talbot 127.5k bar in 4mins 55 secs 9th June 2005 Stafford, England

:bow

Very nice!!! :rock

I think we'll have a 10 minute section as well as the 5 minute one. That way some heavier bars can be snapped unbraced. I'll try again and get the blue done in under 10 mins and get it videod.

Anyone snapping the IronMind nails unbraced? Tell me and I'll start a list on these as well.

David

This is a little off topic, but id like to give this ago in the near future but need some leather wraps, any ideas of where to get some.