Jobs That Improve Grip

TennisDude

All good replies, thanks guys. 

Any work you think I could get, being a 17 year old, that'd be somewhat full-time this summer?  I think I'd rather do some physical labor and improve my grip strength at the same time, then sit and do nothing and get paid.

Thanks,

TennisDude

If you can get a job where all you do is sit and get paid, why not just do that and do grippers and stuff at the same time??? :D

Mover, Fisherman

Fisherman would be a cool job!

-Jon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TennisDude

• Matt Van Weele

• ryaneverk2

• gruelin1

Well Joe Kinney the 1st man to close the IM # 4 in the Captains of Crush book Ironmind put out said if you want to find people with strong hands look for:

The Tire Man - Not the guy who sells them or even the guys who put on and take off the regular truck or car tires we are talking the tractor trailer tires.

Yeah those big mammer jammers - Kinney says all these guys have a strong grip so if you get the chance shake their hand if you dare. Not only do they have great grip he said they have the whole upper body package. One way they achieve this is because the tubes in the tire fuse to the inner core because of the heat generated from the constant rotation of the tire thus the tube must be pulled and pried out. Not only do they do this one time but multiple times per day, 5 days a week with out a bunch of recovery time and sometimes have to deal with injuries but you don’t work you don’t eat. So that probably makes them have a real sweet disposition to boot. :erm

Definitely that. Also, carpenter, mechanic....

I work with a shop full of mechanics and barely any of

them could close the "T" :cool

M2

Edited by Emsquared

Being a trapper works your grip. You'll be sure to try your hardest to get that trap set right when you consider the alternative.

I,m an overhead door isnstaller/service tech. We do alot of commercial workon really big doors. You take a door thats 26' by 18' with verticl lift track(track goes straight up the wall) first tear the old one out with each sectoin weighing about 200#.Take the track down that weighs about a total of 350# a side.Then stack the new one in the hole don't forget your hanging over a lift and latters.Now you take the 4 sets of 6" 416 wire springs(alot bigger than a #4griiper spring)6' long up and hang them. Now the real fun you take 7/8 cold roll and wind those springs up by hand so each one has about 400 to 600#s of pull. Oh ya don't forget the 300# operator with 20' of rail on the front of it you have to hang above the door now.Thats what I did yesterday I didn't work out after work yesterday :blink . Its a great work out some days .

hmmm construction I guess is a pretty popular option... however, good training always beats work in the field.

All things considered, I think that a person who was a paper pusher who trained well would beat someone who worked with his hands....

hmmm construction I guess is a pretty popular option... however, good training always beats work in the field. 

All things considered, I think that a person who was a paper pusher who trained well would beat someone who worked with his hands....

Good point, but why not do both? I think this sort of job would be more beneficial physically, and would be much less mundane.

Then again, if I can make really good money elsewhere, doubtful given my age, I'd do that because then I could just buy whatever grip tool I wanted easily. :D

Thanks for all the replies, this has been quite the enjoyable read. I particularly like some of the interesting job choices.

Thanks again,

TennisDude

P.S. If any IronMind execs are reading this, I'd love to be a gripper tester. :laugh

I do both, I'm a grip trainer and a furniture mover. I'm not really sure the furniture moving benefits grip that much... but I know that training improves my ability to do it, no doubt.

A masseur work with their hands all day, so they should have some thumbstrength and endurability at least.

I do both, I'm a grip trainer and a furniture mover.  I'm not really sure the furniture moving benefits grip that much... but I know that training improves my ability to do it, no doubt.

Mike Dayton said that his furniture removal work greatly helped his grip strength.

I guess it helps most for odd lifts.

Edited by Martin

Concrete isn't bad stuff for building some good grip. We handle 8 foot wall forms, wheel concrete through muddy holes, swing sledges a lot and were always using regular hammers to set wall forms. My grip is never worth a shit after a ten hour day though. I think farmers that still milk with there hands have some damn good gripping power. I have a friend who handed a 70 plus year old man a #3 and the guy smashed it! When he asked where he got the grip the guys response "Milking f#$king cows!"

I have a friend who handed a 70 plus year old man a #3 and the guy smashed it! When he asked where he got the grip the guys response "Milking f#$king cows!"

That has got to be a rare thing to see someone smash a #3 first time in thier hands and to be as old as this gentleman was and still have that much strength left lingering in those claws of his is amazing. All I got to say is POOR COWS :tongue and somebody call Randy Strossen and get that man a certification set up before he passes he would most likely be the oldest to cert and also bring the # 4 who knows this ole boy might grind the handles on it. :rock

Man I got to buy a few dairy cows now but these will by be by far the most expensive grip tools that could be purchased, may Pexter or PDA could design a loadable calf for lifting Milo style the Calf-ette, a loadable Anvil to be lifted by the horn called a Bull-ette and now the Eccentric Essential Elsie Metal Milking Device. Hey I hear for the right price they are willing to design about anything. :laugh

The good thing about furniture moving is that it will train your grip to exhaustion. It won't train anything else that well, but for grip it's not too bad.

Edited by gruelin1

The story that was shared happened a few years back and my friend hasn't seen the guy in years from what I understand. This friend I speak has seen around 25 different guys close #3's first try as far back as the 70's. They weren't IM #3's then but grippers made by Warren Tetting of similar if not stronger strength. This friend also brought a inch db and 7 out of the first 10 that tried lifted it and one almost cheat curled it! As far as contacting strossen for certs. Highly unlikely. These guys used there strenght to make a living not get in magazines or on lists.

For jobs that would help your training I would look for the easiest ones there are. Construction, farming, mechanic, etc... Only break down the hands and when it comes time to train the hands are shot.

For jobs that would help your training I would look for the easiest ones there are. Construction, farming, mechanic, etc... Only break down the hands and when it comes time to train the hands are shot.

Maybe at first, but wouldn't my hands just eventually get used to the load? Yes. Just like your body gets used to the same weight over time when lifting.

I was thinking the most logical choice would be to somehow become a carrier. If that isn't possible, then maybe lawn work, I don't really know what jobs I COULD get. Better start trying now for the summer.

my job is being a concrete laborer for the past 7 and 1/2 years

carrying rebar

carrying lumber

chopping

digging

pouring concrete (with 6 inch hoses)

mixing by hand

carryng simmons forms

stripping

using a 32 oz barco hammer lol

etc... it usually give you a good grip after time including problems after of years of weather conditions i work in any weather over 100 degrees and i have worked in 30 below zero including pouring rain and so on it definitely takes its toll

computer work. i practice everyday at work on my desk from crushing my im's to tearing a phone book.

So, it would appear I have three options.

1. Get a physically demanding job, AND grip train.

2. Get a non-physically demanding job, BUT continue to grip train.

3. Get a physically demanding job, while NOT training my grip.

Of the three options, which would seem best? 1 looks like it could toughen my hands the most, but I don't know if that is exactly the case. Would anyone else like to give their opinions?

I appreciate all the responses, by the way.

Thanks,

TennisDude

So, it would appear I have three options.

1. Get a physically demanding job, AND grip train.

2. Get a non-physically demanding job, BUT continue to grip train.

3. Get a physically demanding job, while NOT training my grip.

Of the three options, which would seem best?  1 looks like it could toughen my hands the most, but I don't know if that is exactly the case.  Would anyone else like to give their opinions?

I appreciate all the responses, by the way.

Thanks,

TennisDude

Anyone know which option would be best?

Thanks,

TennisDude

1 or 2 for sure. If your willing to have your progress slowed by having a manual labor job go for it.

Manual labor will give you grip endurance, but over maximal strength gains from the job itself will be very slow.

1 or 2 for sure. If your willing to have your progress slowed by having a manual labor job go for it.

So would 1 or 2 be the best for grip strength? What would be the benefits of a manual labor job if it would slow down my grip strength progress?

Thanks,

TennisDude