Jobs That Improve Grip

TennisDude

Given your average job market, excluding sports ventures and other not as common professions, what are some jobs that will give a definite increase in grip strength?

I know I have read about carrying stones, which would go in hand with some sort of construction work I'd imagine. Splitting logs can't hurt either.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

TennisDude

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TennisDude

• Matt Van Weele

• ryaneverk2

• gruelin1

Diamond Drilling.

Very grip intensive job. Involves a lot of handling of pipe about 3" in diameter, screwing it together and unscrewing it. Using pipe wrenches a lot too. Most guys who work on a diamond drilling rig have a pretty decent grip. Many have also had tendonitis at least once!

All good replies, thanks guys.

Any work you think I could get, being a 17 year old, that'd be somewhat full-time this summer? I think I'd rather do some physical labor and improve my grip strength at the same time, then sit and do nothing and get paid.

Thanks,

TennisDude

All good replies, thanks guys. 

Any work you think I could get, being a 17 year old, that'd be somewhat full-time this summer?  I think I'd rather do some physical labor and improve my grip strength at the same time, then sit and do nothing and get paid.

Thanks,

TennisDude

Dont you think you'd be happier with a job you like, and just work on grip in your spare time?

Some people like being outside, using their hands.. I know I do!!

Try to get a job on a framing (construction) crew, buy a big 28oz estwing... Handling big lumber all day gives you plenty of grip opportunities.. Or maybe try and get in at a tree service.. These guys climb trees, and wield chainsaws one-handed 50 feet up. Talk about wrist strength!!

Ill be in a wood shop at a sumercamp outside all summer.. making grip toys in my spare minutes of course!

have fun

~Steve

Edited by Revtor

Try to get a job on a framing (construction) crew, buy a big 28oz estwing...  Handling big lumber all day gives you plenty of grip opportunities.. 

Ewww... that's for hackers! Get yourself a Vaughan 16oz. Pro. :D:kiss

edit: straight claw, that is. :cool

Edited by ryaneverk2

Get a job putting up chain link fence, and digging holes with a post hole digger by hand of course. Also has that added edge of cutting a crap load (which is three times that of a butt load) of heavy gauge wire by hand. Just a thought. Long hours, digging and snipping wire, hmmm sounds like a great grip builder to me.

-Sean

Any job you can get on any construction site. Since you will be the newbie, hence low man on the pole, you will get all of the grunt work.

You could work as a hod carrier... that'll make you strong as an ox, or at least make a man out of ya. :D I've never done that, but my uncle did when he was about 18.... he's got some good stories to tell. :laugh

If you want to improve everything in addition to making your grip tough as hell adn your hands like sandpaper get a job as a mason tender. I did that for three summers and it was grueling crap. I also have done alot of roofing. Without the heat involved in roofing I would say masonry is one of the hardest out there.

If your looking for just getting a better grip I would look into plumbing. I was a grunt for a summer doing that and your forearms and grip will definately get stronger for cutting pipe, using wrenches, etc...

Any active outdoor work will do wonders for you.

You are 17 and looking for summer work. Tree services usually like to hire some summer help and are used to short term employment. Landscaping, and roofing also hire alot of extra labor during summer months. I see you're in Chicago, get the Tribune and look thru the job ads. I'm sure there are lots of landscapers/roofers looking for laborers.

Many of the more skilled construction type trades are unwilling to hire summer only help, because of the large and lengthy learning curve. They just start to get you trained and you're headed back to school.

I worked several summers at a small building supply company. Plenty of grip opportunities there. Always something to pinch, bend, twist, etc.

If you can find it, a blacksmith apprenticeship or journeyman program will do wonders for your grip. I started blacksmithing a little less than a year ago and for a while my hands would be so tired i'd only do gripwork maybe once or twice a month and didn't lose a step. Only problem might be that your hands will be too fried to be able (or want to) train.

Call Masonry companies & offer yourself as a carrier. I'm going to do a little of that this summer for my wife's uncle. Pinch the inside of two blocks, carry them to where they need to go, repeat. I love good simple physical work. Loved to bale hay as a kid, did roofing too for my dad. Take 75lb bundles of shingles up a 40 foot ladder all day, that'll build some leg strength. Sheet metal work will do it, too.

-grouting tile, finishing concrete

-framing is great, using a hammer and picking up sheets of plywood give a good grip/core workout

My older brother and I used to see who could carry more lumber or rebar ( I would smoke him today, little bitch) :laugh

going back to the old days when we didn't use power tools

-screw with a screwdriver, not a power screwdriver

-saw with a saw, not a skill saw

-drill with a hand drill (amish style)

-hamer, no nail gun

some of these can be quite difficult, even for someone who has a good grip and makes you much more appreciative of the tools we get to use today

my dad has a crazy strong grip.... he did

concrete work, worked in a carpet mill, was a bouncer, framed houses and now he delivers newspapers.

the last time I was at his house, he was fixing something on his car and while he was tightening the bolts back up, the front tire came up off of the ground........ I don't even think he was trying either. My wife wears a size 5 wedding band and he couldn't even get it down to his finger nail on his pinky....

I built the base of lower arm strength working masony, construction, and carrying heavy awkward objects. The wheelbarrow was my friend. The first time I ever tried a gripper I was able to close the IM#2 without a set.

I'm working part-time right now for a stone contractor, we basically set up stone displays and lay concrete, stuff like that. My boss thinks I'm nuts because I like lifting the stones and throwing them onto the truck instead of waiting for the forklift for em. Granted, some are way too damn big for me to get myself, but I just add it in where I can. I think it's helping my grip out some as it's a lot of awkward lifting and grabbing on wherever you can, not to mention sometimes we get to bust up old concrete and I get to smash it up with a sledge :D Gets some of that aggression out!

I got a job at a recycling center. You can tear phonebooks and bend nails all day long. Plus, if you have to pour the oil that people take up there into big containers then you will get a heck of a grip untwisting all the caps!