Philthy's Log

philthy

Ok I started gripping back in january with a ISG i could rep it at 107 and when my hands were completelly fresh i could barely close it at 160. I was using the ISG like once a week(i was getting like a lot of tendon pain from it putting pressure directly on the tendon). The most I had closed it at was 185, but i could rep it for atleast 10-12 reps at 160.

So i bought heavy grips(cause my hands aren't that big) 100, 150, 250 and 300. I wanted the 200 also but they were out.

So today i attempted the 250 after doing 20 reps and a few over crushes with the 150 the best one i got the 250 to like 1/8" with my right hand, with my left just less than a half inch.

Usually i do a couple negatives per hand but today i just wanted to try to go for it.

I'm now training twice a week mostly grippers, with less isg(since it bothers my hand), I'm thinking about buying the hg200 from a different store .

there is a hg 200 and 250 in the for sale part of the grip board check it out :D

Did back and biceps at the gym today.. i have been feeling pretty weak today since i haven't gotten much sleep the last few days due to being really busy... nothing great to talk about but my hands and forarms are pretty burnt so i did some contrast baths, maybe i think i'm gonna wait for the hg200 to come in before doing another gripper day... it should be any day now.

Tonight i decided I couldn't wait any longer for the hg200 to come and that i should just do some gripper work tonight.

10x hg100 L and R

20x hg150 L and R

Due to matburn on my hand from brazilian jiu jitsu i haven't been able to do contrast baths lately and my hands have felt pretty sore/weak today

Negatives

3x HG250 L and R

Then i put my hg150 on a string and put winter gloves on

2 sets 8 x L and R

The gloves and the string made the hg150 much tougher some of the reps i didn't get complete metal to metal contact because it pinched some fabric from the gloves.

Once the matburn heals (right on a finger joint), i'm going to do contrast baths and hopefully by then my hg200 will arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

5/14 I did like a light routine of just OCing the HG150 and placing my hands really high on it to get bad leverage and doing reps... just waiting for my hg200 to showup. Then i did 4 negatives per hand with the HG250

5/15 I was having a really shitty day because of some bitch so instead of going out and hooking up, i was home alone.... so anyway i was really pissed so i grabbed my HG250 and furiously squeezed it with my right hand... and to my surprise it just kept getting closer and closer and I closed it! :mosher

It wasn't the best close but it was closed.

I waited about a minute then tried again i couldn't get it this time. I tried with my left hand and i didn't even come close, my left hand was kind of sore in the thumb from the training the day before.

I cant wait till the hg200 comes so i can (hopefully) start doing some reps on that, so hopefully i can get consistant with the 250 then start doing reps with it.

OH btw the reason my i didn't get the 200 yet was because my xgf who said she bought it right before we brokeup(birthday present) didn't. So i ordered it on like tuesday.

Edited by philthy

I just got my hg200, today gave it a crush after opening the package was too excited to wait lol..

So i warmed up :

2 sets 10 x hg150 each hand

1 set 6 x hg200 each hand

1 set 10 x hg200 right

1 set 6 x hg200 left

1 set 5 x hg200 right

1 set 4 x hg200 left

2 negative with the hg250 in each hand

I was feeling weak today, but my forarms feel like they got a nice workout

PIcked up a pony clamp today at home depot for like $2.25

I did a few sets of reps with that, it was pretty tough for me, it definitely exposes the weakness in my thumb but atleast now i have another way to work my thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted in a while, i've still been training and i've added a pony clamp to my routine. just nothing special to talk about lately... until today i've felt overtrained for the last couple weeks. Although tonight i was feeling good I was about to eat an apple so before eating it i was going to dig my fingers into it and rip it in half, but i felt like i could crush it so i went for it.

And i crushed the apple, it was a big golden delivious so i only basically crushed half of the apple but then i realized that tthe apple looked less crispy/softer than usual so that's probably why i could crush it lol.

Anyway about an hour later i got my hand dynamometer out to test my grip, i got 150 on it, my previous best was 130.. The dynamometer is a little out of calibration... a while back i weighed a 25lb dumbell on a string with it and it said it waid 13lbs.... Anyway i'm please with my improvement in a few weeks.

I'm gonna keep training hard and hopefully next time i talk about crushing an apple it will be a legit/hard apple.

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since i posted... anyway. Yesterday i closed the hg250 for about 15 singles, one overcrush on it, and almost repped it twice. i came within 2-3 mm of closing it with my left hand.

I'm waiting to get my hg300 back from a friend so i can try some negatives and mess around with that.

Nice job, do you actually have a routine that you follow? Maybe you could post it and we could possibly give some advice or pointers to help you!

Nice job, do you actually have a routine that you follow? Maybe you could post it and we could possibly give some advice or pointers to help you!

I for a while i would do :

warmup set (like hg100 or hg150)

hg200 to failure (like 14-18 reps per hand)

hg200 to failure (like 6-12 reps)

hg200 overcrush(1 per hand)

2-3 hg250 attempts

2-3 hg250 negatives

hg150 hanging on a string just kinda grabbing and closing it

maybe a 3-8 minute break in between each.

For next time (in like 2-3 days) I was thinking of doing:

a warmup set

4 or 5 sets of hg250 to failure/singles (breaks in between)

hg300 attempt

2 hg300 negatives

hg200 to failure

hg150 hanging on a string

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I did

warmups then:

R: 1 set 2 hg250 closes, 2 almost closes

5 HG250 Singles with a couple minutes between

hg200 set until failure

L: Attempted to close the HG250 4 times, 3 HG250 negatives.

HG200 set to failure

Today I did shoulders and biceps today at the gym... only notable thing is I did a set of 8 reps with 60lb dumbells for concentration curls. I've never been able to bang out a set of the 60s before.

I'm still waiting to get my hg300 back I should see my friend tomorrow.

yesterday i saw there was a can of budweiser extra in the fridge so i decided i'd give it a little squeeze... I didn't think anything would happen, I put a hole in the side of the can from squeezing and decided I should stop and try this some other time with gloves.

Seems like pretty soon i'll pop my first can. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've been training about once every 4 or 5 days, nothing spectacular to speak of, yesterday I happened to be having a bad day so i focused that energy/anger at my gripper, with my right hand i closed and overcrushed my hg250 for about 30 seconds with my left hand i got it about 2 mm to close.

2 days ago i closed the hg250 6 times and almost got it closed 4 times with my right hand,

my school is having hand grip testing next monday so i'm kinda psyched about it to see how i do on their dynamometer compared to mine. So i figure i will train hard this tuesday night or wednesday and not do anything between then and monday so i'll be fresh.

i did the grip test thing at school today, i got 67kg with my right and 58kg with my left. It was early in the morning, they had a spring dynamometer similar to the one i have.

The person testing me accused me of cheating the first time i did it with my right hand, because they looked away for a second, the second time when i got 66kg while they were looking right at me they were surprised.... I guess not a lot of people have gotten decent scores there today.

I did worse than i thought I would... I was hoping they would have a jamar style dyno so i could see what that is like.

Edited by philthy

Nice one Philthy! you showed them who's boss!

Thanks guys

So after I got home i started doing some grippers, so far today i've done

hg150 x 10 R and L

R 3 single hg300 attempts (best was maybe a hair better than parallel)

L 5 single hg250 attempts (3 of them were close)

R 5 x hg250 reps

R 15 x hg200 reps

R 3 neg attempts(cant even close it with 2 hands) hg300

L 4 x hg250 rep/attempts

L 12 x hg200 reps

L 4 sm neg hg250

Since that workout i've just been doing hg250 singles with my right hand and hg200 singles with my left 8 each so far, i want to get to like 15+ before the day is over.

A few days ago i did a PR with the hg250 of 9 reps, I went to a wedding and was busy the last 2 days so i didn't do anything... just get trashed at the open bar :D

so today i get home and try my hg250 to my surprised it felt really easy, so i did a 30 second overcrush... about 10 minutes later i did another 2 15 second overcrushes (with about 5 minutes between them) after the second one i decided to immediately go for reps, and i got 14reps a new PR!!

I have to say i'm very surprised at my results today.

With my left hand i tried it and came close to closing it like 3-4mm or so but i just couldn't get it, which is pretty typical of my left hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I brought my new heavy handles (2" diameter) to the gym and finally worked out with them.

I did wrist curls with them

2 sets 10 x 15lbs R&L

Wrist twists

Inside to out

2 sets 10 x 15lbs R&L

Outside to in

2 sets 10 x 15lbs R&L

I took the weight off and hooked it up to a pulley

2 sets 5 x 100lbs R&L

I put 2 45lbs plates(couldn't fit any more plates i need to buy/make a loading pin for it) on it and did a 1 hand deadlift and just held it

3 x hold to failure R&L

Did 30grams of protein when i got home.

Later at night I went back to the gym did leg exercises: 5 sets squats, 2 sets extensions, 2 sets curls.

Then did 40 minutes of cardio.

When I came home I did contrast baths and 60grams of protein

Today my forarms are pretty sore, much sorer than they've been in a long time just from gripping.