Road To The Mash Monster

GarytheDino

I thought it would be intersting to post my last workouts leading up to my attempt at the level 1 MM.

My training for the last several weeks has consisted of roughly 20 singles twice a week. Max attempts, negatives, overcrushes, strapholds, chokers no sets etc. I usually hit about 3 of each. For thumb I use the eagle loops with my thumb toward the floor and do full reps for 3 sets of 10. Wrist work is wrist curls with a plate or barbell and reverse wrist curls. I lever in the other two directions. I do ball rotations and rubber band extensions.

I have some bad days where I am really weak. I have noticed that if I do reps like 5x5 with a #1 on bad days that I usually come back very strong for the next workout. This tells me that I'm still doing to much. Here is what I did today......

All with a set.

#1x6

#2x1

SMx1

MM replicax1 for a long hold closed... 3 more attempts all near miss (I'm usually only good for 1 attempt anyway)

Elite in choker missed 4 times but got a good negative.( I have been closing it if that is my first exercise but at this point I'm peaking for the MM so that has to go first.

SM missed x2 good negatives.

Left hand is usually no sets ending with a #2 inverted.

On a side note I got a new max on the bench starting at the bottom with a 3"bar

450 :) Bodyweight 240 hand 7 3/8

I welcome all comments as try to fine tune my gripping. The MM is not just a stepping stone for me to the next level but a true max at this point. It's important that I train smart for the next few weeks.

Glad your getting a feeling on exactly what to do progress Gary.

Nice job on the MM1 replica!!

Today was shot rotations 40 each way in each hand and 3 sets of 20 rubber band extensions.

Rehab and fitness...........

Leg press 3 sets

back raise 3 sets

leg ext. 3 sets

pulldowns 3 sets

standing cable crunches 3 sets

preacher DB 3 sets.

Seated barbell 3 sets of 8-10

standing Db 1 set of 10

dips 3x10

pushdowns 3 sets of 10 ending with 140 new PR

This is my light press and tricep day. On heavy press day I'm switching over to floor press. I should be good for 500 after a couple workouts.

Sunday after noon is MM training. Stay tuned........................

Weight 239

3 sets of 12 rubber bands

#1x6

#2x1

SMx1

COC#3x1

mm so close

#3 x1

mm couldn't set

Elite choker x1, x1 , neg, neg, neg

260 narrow x1

Sm x1

wide #2 x1

Left hand no-sets

#1x3

hg200x1

#2x1x3sets

#1x3

#1 overcrush

I need to slow down.....this workout took 15 minutes, and I lost count, these are the sets I remember.

I couldn't resist those little springs today......

#1x6

#2x1

SMx1

MMx1x3sets

MMx1x2cheatshut

Elitex1x3negatives

#2overcrushx1x2

#2no-set attemptx2miss

left hand no-sets#2 and #1 overcrushes

took longer rests....5 min between MM

Floor Press

Worked up to a single of 455. This was the first week.

Close grip on the floor feet up 4 sets of 8 with 245

Rehab and fitness...........

Leg press 3 sets

back raise 3 sets

leg ext. 3 sets

pulldowns 3 sets

standing cable crunches 3 sets

preacher DB 3 sets.

#1x6

#2x1

SMx1

MM miss twice

Elite choker miss

#3 miss

#3 choker miss

#1x5x3sets.

Missed on everything. I don't think the extra workout had as much to do with it as the severe negatives. I think the best bet is to keep training at 2-3 times a week at about 10 singles none of which are negatives.

Typically a workout like this will make the next one good if I wait 3 days. Looking back the last few workouts all had neg. but I remember fighting hard on the last ones until my hands ached. It could be that extra day catching up. I also think it's important to tread right on the edge of overtraining until 2 weeks out. Then there will be no room for mistakes. If the next workout goes good then 3 days before the real MM I'll do the same.

Edited by GarytheDino

Bodyweight 241.

I estimate the cert date to be April 17.

I'm tappering off on regular workouts now to cool the elbows and shoulders down. As expected today went good.

#1x4

#2x1

SMx1

MMx1 easy

coc#3 4 cheat shut singles. The coc logo #3 has a harder crush at the end is why I used it. I got fast negatives on each cheat shut and plan on no hard negs they are too much for me to recover from.

Elite cheat shut in choker x2 singles.

Filed #2 x straphold with 12.5 and 2 more singles that ended up being overchushes because the strap slipped out.

#2 TNS barely missed

#1x10no-set reps

1 squeeze each on the RB240N and 260N they are the same as a SM.

Edited by GarytheDino

I stayed away from all other training this week.

This morning I did some contrast baths then waited an hour or so.

#1x1

#2x1

SMx1

#3 with coc logo x1

MMx1

#3 missed

MMx1 this confirms that my "2004" #3 is tougher

#3 missed that thing is really tough at the end like the last 1/16"

no set coc #2

Strap holds with #2 in choker set at 1" 3 holds

#3 in paralell choker 2 overcrushes.

#1x10 full reps.

Nice going DINO, good luck on your certification. What kind of dino do you want to be, because i think a T-Rex wouldn't be such a great idea, considering his tiny hands :tongue

Today I did some high rep bench for 3 sets of 10

3 sets of tri. ext.

3 sets of pushdowns

2 sets of side laterals

Keeping any training other than grip to a minimum, besides I need a break.

Grippers in the morning.

Grippers

I attempted the "2004" #3 with the coc logo 4 times. The first one my pinky slipped off, the second one i went before a long enough break and missed. The third attempt was good. The forth i missed because i was wore out. I made one attempt at the MMR and barely missed.

no-set #2 good

regular #3 strap holds 2 sets with a 2.5 pound plate

Elite choker attempt and miss

#2 overcrush 2 singles

#1x6 full reps

dexterity balls x50 each way

rubber bands 3 sets

trained left hand as usual

Best of luck for your cert Gary.

Please take revenge for our loss. :flame

If i was you i would try using a harder griper for my negatives. I can do a semi hard overcrush on my SM and get the #3 to about 1/16 from closing and i use a SE for my negative no choker. So maybe you should try using either a #4 or GE for your negative.

Negatives take so much out of me. I can't seem to recover. I fight my negatives to hard perhaps..........the MM attempt is too close now to make a change in training. Your hands must be huge.....I can't set an Elite A SE is way past impossible unless I use a pipe or choker.

Tonight was an easy fitness type workout for lower body....

Back raise 2 sets

front squat 2 sets

leg ext. 2 sets

abs 3 sets

I plan on grippers again Monday.

Edited by GarytheDino

i feel ya Dino. The negatives kill me more than anything. I seem to do strapholds and overcrushes very nicely, but I also have a hard time setting the Elite, etc.

Just keep your head up man. You will get there. I have faith in myself and in you concerning our grip goals. We will get there. Just dig deep man, and whter it be out of intense anger or desire or what not, your inner emotions will lay some hurt on that gripper.

Keep it up cowboy. You will do it.