My Kta Journey

gottabend

Last night began phase 2, wek 3. Was glad to trade a few negative crushes for #3 closes. Believe it or not, it's easier on me to close the 3 than the NC's with the #4 were. They were just brutal!

I love coming back after a full day off! I always feel so strong. Wish I could feel that way for the next 5 days... :-)

Still anxiously awaiting receipt of new BBE.

Closing #3 on every attempt RH with a parallel set. Tried from credit card width, no dice. Guess that'll take some work.

My left forearm's been cut on a couple of times in last few weeks. Had a skin cancer tumor excised. Had to remove quite a little slice and pull things together with sutures. Left top of arm feeling tight and afraid to push too hard - didn't want to open it up but have continued to work it. Closed #3 last night once leftie. I'm just absolutely amazed that my left hand has improved this dramatically. Wasn't expecting it not was it really an objective. Just kept working it hard just like my right and wow!

Only two more days of phase 2, week 3. As has been my experience thus far, I'm now much weaker toward end of week. Only one good #3 close RH last night. Rest came 1/16" or so short - had to force close. Nada leftie - 1/4" or so each time. I find that toward end of week, I'm just tapped. Think my work load, stress, and lack of sleep play into it.

Still no BBE. Saw charge to credit card so hope it lands here soon.

May have another go at KTA after a couple months off. Will likely set BBE as next target. KTA works! I am however going to experiment with volume and rest and attemp to identify what's optimal for me.

Funny thing happened last night during workout. Was time to do another OC. I've been using a filed #2. Well, by mistake, I picked up the 3. Didn't know it yet. Room's not well-lit. Gave it a squeeze and thought, jeeez! This thing's turned to stone! Man, I must be weak tonight. Knew I was tired and hard-pressed to put forth best effort. Well, I suqeezed for all I was worth and held it tight for 5-6 seconds still trying to grind the handles. When I stopped, I noticed it wasn't filed. Damned, it was the #3! I was so tapped thereafter that the rest of the workout, at least RH, was sorely lacking :-)

Way cool gottabend.

How the #3. Did you get the BBE.

Thanks Moon and T. No BBE yet. Like a little kid waiting for Christmas...

Think I've got the 3. After a day's rest, I close it rock-solid and cosistently for 2 or 3 days. Toward end of week, I'm tapped in my workouts and it's sometimes hit and miss but never further than 1/16" off. KTA works. Anxious to see what happens during peaking phase with more rest.

The 2 1/2" BBE has arrived! What a thing of beauty... :-)

After a good seasoning at the vice, took upstairs for my workout. Couldn't resist giving it a go before even starting warmup. Couldn't believe how close I got RH. It won't be long.

Love using it for NC vs the #4. After KTA, will probably use BBE for negatives and NC's and use the #4 for sweep work.

Only a couple more days of phase 2. Anxiously awaiting the peaking phase and additional rest. I know already (from experience) that I'm at my strongest following 2 days' rest. One's better than none but 2 is optimal for me.

Steve ,

Did you order that from BB or from Tetting? If Tetting, he usually asks the size of your hands so he can make you a "cert" gripper.

I.E. my hands are 8 1/4 my BBSM is a cert gripper and the spread is about 2 3/4. My Elite is also 2 3/4 which I like because in preparing for the MM1 and above certs all the grippers are 2 3/4 spread.

"Solid" #3 close RH, deep set during warm up last night.  Held it shut for 5 seconds or so.  I'm loving it!  Over-crushes with #2 were a little tougher than they were the night before having come off two days' rest but understandable.  Now closing the #3 with consistency and that's exactly what I wanted from KTA - and I'm only half way there.  I'd recommend the program to anyone aspiting to master the grippers.

I'm new to this, very interesting - just watched the joe kinney video for the first time - so that's how it is done !!!

I am 3/4" from closing #3, but I know how to train now. I realize I've been doing it all wrong !

Are you guys following a strict program ?

But not too much volume. The trick is 100%. That what Joe Kinney was good at.

He probably when belong 100% to get the results he make.

I thinks if he did one to SW, gripper machine he would still do it.

I learned lots from Joe there applying and do his work outs and to stream line too how to make his workout not 60 rep maybe 12 to 16 reps. or less.

My invention the J.A.G I send Joe about 2 years.

J.A.G cuts threw the strap hold and volume work and all you need in the J.A.G training is 2 reps a day. It get you to over 100% training.

I'm new to this, very interesting - just watched the joe kinney video for the first time - so that's how it is done !!!

I am 3/4" from closing #3, but I know how to train now. I realize I've been doing it all wrong !

Are you guys following a strict program ?

There are a number of ways..many have had success with KTA...some find their

own way. High volume works for some but not for others. The idea is to find what works and apply progressive resistance...one more rep..one more pound..etc,

Paul,

Ordered from BB before I had contact info for Mr. Tetting... :-(

I have smaller hands (about 7 7/8") with most of the length in the palm (short fingers). Think "chimpanzee". :-)

For this reason I chose the 2 1/2" spead. I like it and it's much more managable for me. You saw my #3 close video and the #2 TNS I pointed you to earlier in the week. The wider grippers are sometimes awkward for me, especially when tired.

Dave,

Ys, KTA is a very strict adn demanding program. I highly recommend it.

Interesting log you got here gottabend. You practically own the #3, go for that MM0!! Good luck!

The 2 1/2" BBE has arrived!  What a thing of beauty...  :-)

After a good seasoning at the vice, took upstairs for my workout.  Couldn't resist giving it a go before even starting warmup.  Couldn't believe how close I got RH.  It won't be long.

Love using it for NC vs the #4.  After KTA, will probably use BBE for negatives and NC's and use the #4 for sweep work.

Only a couple more days of phase 2.  Anxiously awaiting the peaking phase and additional rest.  I know already (from experience) that I'm at my strongest following 2 days' rest.  One's better than none but 2 is optimal for me.

Steve,

Gripbaord Mash Monster is gonna look so much better than Gripboard Newbie under your name. Knock 'em Dead!!

Last night was first workout of phase 3. Had plenty of rest and was feeling gutsy. :-)

Prior to warm-up, grabbed the BBE and gave it a heave-ho. It went. It didn't click mind you but showed wife and you couldn't have slid a piece of paper between the handles. I'm one happy camper and in a couple more weeks, will be submitting to Bill my KTA testimonial.

Week 2 of Phase 3. Woohoo!

Closing #3 on nearly every attempt RH, parallel set. Have even closed the 1.5" Elite a couple of times. I anxiously await what lies ahead.

After this week's up, may take a few days' rest and see where I stand.

KTA works folks. If you haven't tried it, do.

It's over and I survived! :-)

For those with the "metal" to finish the program ver-batim, I highly recommend it. You'll certainly know what stresses your hands are capable of.

I can now close my 2004 #3 RH, parallel set - any time, any place. I'm well pleased with the outcome.

What's next? I'm taking a few days off grip completely. Will then test myself to see where I stand. Want to focus next on sweep for the COC cert. I've also sorely missed levering, pinch, bending, sand bag grabs, et all.

One observation made not only by myself but also my wife is that my forearms appear to have atrophied during KTA. Before KTA, they were full and pretty ripped. Although hypertrophy is not nor has it been an objective (concerned only with strength), it was very noticable. I can attribute this only to my having completely given up all other grip training for the last 10 weeks.

So, besides working to close that #3 with a wide/no set, I'll hit the pinch and levering hard again. Want to get back to where I was as quickly as possible.

To those considering KTA... if you've not yet done so, order the program. Give it 100%, no modifications, no deviation from the program, and most importantly - no whining! :-)