My Kta Journey

gottabend

Tonight was day 3 of my second week of KTA. Have enjoyed reading of others' progress here so thought to myself... why not?

Thought it'd be fun 8 weeks from now to look back and reflect on the journey.

Since I'm half way through the second week - a brief update is in order.

I started grip training in September or so of last year. I've experienced grip A.D.D. and haven't been able to really focus on a single goal. I'm absolutely addicted to all facets of grip. I've made great progress bending, I now have 12 or so pounds taped to my 40lb hex block, am really close to pinching 2 35's, and have been closing my #3 hit and miss for a couple months.

So... I decided to focus all my attention on one goal at a time. That's where KTA comes in. Grippers are what got me into this to start with and I feel that although I hadn't followed a speific routine or exhibited any real discipline, that I'd made reasonably good progress moving from trainer to 20 reps with #2 in 4 or 5 months. I've heard nothing but good of KTA so decided to give it a go myself. It's only week 2 but based on what I've seen thus far, I know with absolute confidence that at the end the program that I'll have command of my #3.

The #4 negatives have been rough on the palms and fingers but the over crushes seem to get stronger almost daily. I've filed the #2 twice this week and have no problems grinding the handles. Missed the #3 on test day (Sunday for me) but tonight... that was another story. Warmed up with the T, 1, and 2. Don't know if anyone else here's experienced the same thing, but I feel like I'm ready to pass the T and 1 on to my son - they've grown so easy that I don't feel the warmup. :-)

Well, I warmed up and picked up the #3. Not much of a set, just enogh positioning to get my pinkie on it and gave it a good squeeze. I was about 1/8" short however... I felt strong. I bared down and mashed it. My wife and son were in the room and heard the handles click. At that very same moment, something popped in my right shoulder. An audible pop. They both heard it from across the room. It fealt at that moment as though a rubber band had snapped in my shoulder. Now, strange thing is... pain's not that bad. Just a dull ache and only when I move it a certain way. I've got ice on it now, popped a few ibuprofin, and will see in the morning. Had to skip bench workout tonight. I'm perplexed. What could it have been. What would pop so loud in my shoulder (outer deltoid area - but deep) that would be cause by heavy gripping? Weird stuff.

Bedtime. Gotta sleep, heal, and grow stronger.

You have 8 more weeks ..you will master the #3...

Great job!!

Thanks fellas for the encouragement.

I'm worried however... I woke up this morning and right shoulder hurts so bad it's nauseating. Have an appointment with Dr. tomorrow. I have only limited movement and not certain 1. how I'll do the negatives since I can't put any pressure on it and 2. just how hard I'll be able to squeeze with right hand. Sitting here now just making a tight fist hurts like hell!

Feeling with my fingertips I can feel a tendon or ligament that is strummed tight running over top outside of shoulder. I feel around and it's tender so that must be the culprit. How in the hell I did anything in my shoulder from training grippers I don't know.

I'm gonna keep on keep'in on to the best of my ability but if this turns out to be a real injury - I'm going to be sorely disappointed but may have to take time to heal and hit it again. I've been down this road before with rotator cuff injury and I have a glass back (thanks to my father's genes).

However, I'm tenacious (wife calls it bull-headed/pig-headed) and won't stop. Nothing will stop me now that I can taste success. #3, bring it!

Will keep you posted...

Today is day 2 of week 3. I didn't let the shoulder injury stop me. Went to Dr. He checked it out and said that tendon seemed inflamed. Not sure what happened but he gave me 800mg ibuprofin and said to favor it and to simply pay attention to how it felt.

Have continued KTA and although it has negatively impacted my intensity, I've kept going. Haven't done any benches since though. May try something light tomorrow and see how it goes.

Back to KTA... My hands and wrists are so sore I've divided the work load into two workouts/day. I have blisters on blisters and they ooze during workout. My knuckles hurt and skin burns like fire.

I'm really looking forward to next week (back-down).

Observation: I'm getting weaker as time goes on. I'm not worried as I read Rick's preface to KTA and understand it's due to the fact that I'm beating the hell out of my mitts. I closed # 3 last week when shoulder popped. I missed by 1/4" or more last night. No worries - I'll keep on squeeing like a mother and see what happens in the end...

Looking for feedback from KTA vets...

This is day three of week three, phase 1. Hands, wrists, and fingers continue to hurt between workouts. I'm getting weaker - to the extent I'm unable to crush the filed #2 with nearly the force I had last week. Last week, I was grinding the handles. This week, I occasionally fail to close it, have to pause, and have another go. I'm applying same intensity and determination but strength is falling off. Is that normal?

I also have blisters under callouses and oozing cracks and blisters. Thanks to many good posts on the board, have experiemented with duck tape and super glue and have been able to work around these minor inconveniences. If I touch the finger tips of my left hand to anything, I can feel them throb. Anyone else experienced this?

Hand/wrist pain has gotten to the point that I've divided my workload up into two workouts/day. Last week, I was able to completely close the #4 by pressing against my leg and could then smoothly control the negative. This week, I may get one full close with right hand and rest are partials. Have been missing #3 by 1/4" in warm-up.

Is this reduction in strength normal and due solely to volume and lack of rest/recovery? I'm hoping I'll see it come back up (plus some) after next week.

Bill kindly alleviated my concerns by stating that my experience this week is "normal". I'm gonna quit bitching and keep squeezing the hell out of the grippers.

Last night was much stronger. Had no problem with over-crushes on the filed #2 and came real close to closing #3 RH during warmup. Probably could have done it but right shoulder still hurting so stopped just short.

One workout tonight and two tomorrow and that's it for week 3! Woopie! I'm ready for that day off... :-)

Learned that a sore on my left forearm is skin cancer and will have to be removed. If they have to dig very deep, that will end KTA for left hand - this cycle but I'll see it through on the right. Such is life.

Bill kindly alleviated my concerns by stating that my experience this week is "normal".  I'm gonna quit bitching and keep squeezing the hell out of the grippers.

Last night was much stronger.  Had no problem with over-crushes on the filed #2 and came real close to closing #3 RH during warmup.  Probably could have done it but right shoulder still hurting so stopped just short.

One workout tonight and two tomorrow and that's it for week 3!  Woopie!  I'm ready for that day off... :-)

Learned that a sore on my left forearm is skin cancer and will have to be removed.  If they have to dig very deep, that will end KTA for left hand - this cycle but I'll see it through on the right.  Such is life.

Week 4 of phase #1. This is were rest comes in and your hard earn comes into play= wait six days and do what the KTA says. Heart and sole of KTA=rest and recovery. what goal gripper are working for?

Week 4 of phase #1.  This is were rest comes in and your hard earn comes into play= wait six days and do what the KTA says. Heart and sole of KTA=rest and recovery. what goal gripper are working for?

Going for the #3. Have been closing it hit and miss (no consistency) for a while now but I want absolute domination of the thing so doing KTA. It's a real butt kicker. I'm looking forward to the back-down.

You are exactly where your supposed to be...wait till Phase 2....your strength will soar.

I'm waiting on pins and needles... :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm stoked.

One thing I've learned over the last week (week 3) - I'm MUCH stronger in the evening than in the morning. Have divided my workload into two/day this week. I really struggle to even close the filed #2 in the AM but am literally grinding it in the evening. It's filed about 1/3 of the way on one handle.

Can't wait until I can close the 3 at will.

Now in the middle of phase 1 week 4. Warmed up last night and closed #3 2 out of 3 attempts RH, deep set. Yeh baby! I feel it. Can't wait to see where this leads... :-)

Made it through Phase 1! Last night was last workout of week 4. Was weak last night - only got one #3 close from parallel set RH. Over-crushes with filed #2 were killer. I was really down in strength last night. Had a few great workouts last week though. Got 2 of 3 attempts at #3 on a couple of them and 3 for 3 on another. I need to start practicing the whole demo thing so showed my wife... "hey honey, check this out". Problem is, when I grip, my hand is usually perpendicular to floor or even pronated (palm down). Am trying to grip with hand in more visible, supinated position such that bottom of handles are visible - and the witness can clearly see what's going on. I see that I have to add in strap hold with #2 next week. I think my #2 is filed too deeply to strap hold with anything thin. May be able to do so RH, but LH... not yet. May have to order another from IM.

Made it through Phase 1!  Last night was last workout of week 4.  Was weak last night - only got one #3 close from parallel set RH.  Over-crushes with filed #2 were killer.  I was really down in strength last night.  Had a few great workouts last week though.  Got 2 of 3 attempts at #3 on a couple of them and 3 for 3 on another.  I need to start practicing the whole demo thing so showed my wife... "hey honey, check this out".  Problem is, when I grip, my hand is usually perpendicular to floor or even pronated (palm down).  Am trying to grip with hand in more visible, supinated position such that bottom of handles are visible - and the witness can clearly see what's going on.  I see that I have to add in strap hold with #2 next week.  I think my #2 is filed too deeply to strap hold with anything thin.  May be able to do so RH, but LH... not yet.  May have to order another from IM.

If the #2 gripper is filed too deep use a dime on it+ just wrap an elsatic band around the gripper and the dime and your good to go. Strap hold helper put a elestic band around thumb and put one on the strap+Its easier when press down the gripper and get the strap fast and more gains and no worry to looking around the strap.

My turn to go into week 4 of phase #1 on monday.

You'll love week 4 Moon! :-)

Last night was day 1 - phase 2. Took Friday and Saturday off. Man, I felt strong last night! My "signifigantly" filed #2 felt like a trainer. I even closed the #3 with a deep set leftie! I've thought since day 1 my left hand was weak and virtually useless. I'm amazed how my strength has come up in my left also. Had no problem with straphold with the filed #2 either.

To say I'm impressed with the results of KTA thus far would be a gross understatement!

"Solid" #3 close RH, deep set during warm up last night. Held it shut for 5 seconds or so. I'm loving it! Over-crushes with #2 were a little tougher than they were the night before having come off two days' rest but understandable. Now closing the #3 with consistency and that's exactly what I wanted from KTA - and I'm only half way there. I'd recommend the program to anyone aspiting to master the grippers.

My glass back! Started last night's workout with squats. 2x warmup and hit working set. Coming up on third rep, pulled something in my back again behind left shoulder blade. Dammit! Knew it was hurt. Went on and did benches, though weak, before it stiffened up.

Got through KTA but back was hurting so bad missed #3 close RH by 1/16" or so and NC's were weak.

More ibuprofin and keep on truckin'.

Wish I knew what this old back needed to keep this crap from happening. Have thought of doing some light sledgehammer work (with old tires) and perhaps a medicine ball. Will pose question of another forum and solicit ideas.

wow. truly inspiring considering i am on day 3, week two, phase one on the KTA. i just crushed the BBSM, so now the goal is the IM3. reading your log only gets me more fired up for a grip session and a fast forward to the coming weeks. can't wait to read about your future crushes.

Thanks Diesel. Yes, KTA rocks!

Last night was much better, much - much better! Back's still hosed but loose enought to get through grip work.

Have been practicing the #3 closes in front of wife to make sure hand is supinated, visible close, etc. Last night I had solid #3 closes both right and left. Held the left closed for 5 seconds or more up close and personal. She was surprised. My left is my weak hand! I never anticipated being able to close the #3 leftie. She too can recall me "wrestling" with the #2 not that long ago. :-)

Now it's time to put up or shut up. I need to fugure out how to capture video so I can submit to board for everyone's feedback. I'm still using a reasonably deep set, haven't even practiced with the card yet (for IM cert) but will do so shortly. Want to capture closes right and left handed and ask the veterans of the board for criticism. I have in the house a video camera (not sure if digital or just analog) and a couple of digital cameras neither of which can capture to video. Need to fugure out interface to PC, best software to use, and which would be better quality - cam corder or camera. Guess I have some reading/research to do.

Countless thanks for the KTA Bill!

A great workout again last night. Tapped from a long week at work but still managed #3 close right and left-handed. After workout, decided to toy with video. With a cam corder and three digital cameras in the house, figured one of them would work. One was right and it's sorely lacking. Daughter's digital camera can do 15-second videos. Won't zoom and quality stinks. Anyway, sent Wanna one just so you fellas can se I'm not blowing smoke or talking smack. KTA works!

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=2029

Looks like small gap at end of handles as if not fully closed. No worry. That's just a layer or two of electrical tape on finger side handle. They were mashed. Saturday is my rest day and I start week 2 of phase 2 on Sunday. Before workout, I'll remove tape and see if I can get better video. I've gotten two reps with right hand - PR. We'll see if I can do better rested.

You will own that 3 totally by the end of KTA..it will cry when it sees you coming!!!

Hey gottabend, great work on the #3 MM0 is only a matter of time :bow

About you glass back, i really recomend Trigger Point Therapy.

My lower back was hurting for months after I pulled it, sometimes a dull ache sometimes pretty bad. Now it's really gettin better. Do a search on amazon for a book about it. You can do the therapy yourself with no equipment. Basically it's just pressure points and stretches. Might be worth a try.

James

Today is day 4, week 2, of phase 2. Volume's back up and hands are tired. Thinking of again splitting into 2/day workouts. Don't have fuel left in tank as Bill says you should. Still closing #3 every night during warm-up, at least right-handed.

Was able to squat again last night. Had pulled a mucle in back last week that hosed leg and back work. Decided to try a slightly different approach. Warmed up with a big river rock I've got in the yard. Lifted it round back a few times. Then shouldered it and took it for a stroll untill my lungs burned so bad I thought I'd lose it. Took a little break and then did some bent rows followed by stiff-legged dead lifts. Squats followed and no problem. Did wimp out and take 40lbs off the bar just to be sure but got 20 good reps and still had to breath like a freight train. 20-rep breathing squats are hard work - just like KTA! :-)

Now if only I could regain full strength of right shoulder. Benches have been weak (had to drop 25lbs from bar) since the night I closed the #3 several weeks back and something "popped". Still hurts deep down from time to time. Certain planes of movement are wose. Riding my motorcycle for long periods (40 miles to/from work) exacerbates the problem too.

Ordered BBE today to use for negative crushes. After day of rest, I can force close the #4 and almost hold it shut for the NC but later in the week, there are times I can't force it half way. Figured BBE would be my next target anyway so will try it for the negatives and see how it goes.

Onward and upward...

Scott if your closing the 3 during warmup I would recommend changing your goal gripper to the elite and continue doing negs with the 4..push it!!

Paul,

I appreciate the encouragement - and your enthusiasm but at this point, think I'd best stick with the #3 for a short while at least. :-)

You're right, I'm closing in on it and will keep on trucking as you've done so it'd better look out 'cause I'm coming!

Can't wait until my new BBE gets here.

Well, volume's been kicking my butt so split it up to 2/day again. This morning I recalled why I've never worked out in the early AM. I'm weak! Little school girl weak. It's almost as if it's someone else's body in the AM. Couldn't force close my #4 under 1/2 way, missed #3 by 1/4", and had a really weak workout. I tried working out (strength and BB) years ago and quickly discovered it wasn't in synch with my circadian rhythm :-)

So, I'm unable to push as hard in the morning as I can in the evening - don't have nearly the strength however, if I work out in the evening, I'm generally tired and otherwise tapped from a hard day at work and before I'm half way through workout, strength diminishes signifigantly. It is however better than what I can give in the mornings so I'm conflicted over which approach I should take. KTA says that you should always have gass left in the tank, so to speak, and I don't with either approach.

Funny experience... went to Dr. today to have skin tumor removed. Had biopsy done a couple of weeks ago and turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. Well, before he cut it out, he noticed my hands shake. Told him my hands have shaken for years and that it runs in the family. So... he holds out both of his hands extending first two fingers of each hand and says, "squeeze these as hard as you can". :-) I said, don't think so doc. You need those fingers. he din't believe me so... I accomodated - gently. He said harder a couple of times so I ever so gently gave him harder. A couple of times and he got the point. Shook his hands up and down and mumbled something under his breath. It was his idea, not mine. :-)