Larson's Training Log

larsontodd

I thought that I would start a training journal and track my progress after surgery. I plan to do a strongman competition (not sure which one yet) and lean down for Shanes wedding this June.

Cardio on EFX machine for 25 minutes before back

Light Back (No deads)

Bent Over Rows performed with double overhand no straps just chalk.

135x20

225x20

315x17

365x9 Little sloppy but chest seemed to hold

225x23

Pulldowns to the front: shoulder width(any wider would hurt my chest) had to go easy on these

100x20

150x25

150x25

200x20

Tried Triangle grip but really bothered my right pec major.

One Dumbbell Rows

90x20

120x2x20

140x15

Hammer Low Row

2 plates per side 20 each hand

3 plates per side 2 sets 20 reps

These felt ok if I really focused and squeezed the lats hard, not a lot of pull in the chest

Abs

Hanging leg raises 3x15 reps

Decline situps 2 to failure w/o weight

At this point I called it quits, didn't want to train too much because this is my first Back workout since my chest surgery. Hopefully I can add chins and med. heavy axle deads next week.

I thought that I would start a training journal and track my progress after surgery.  I plan to do a strongman competition (not sure which one yet) and lean down for Shanes wedding this June. 

Cardio on EFX machine for 25 minutes before back

Light Back (No deads)

Bent Over Rows performed with double overhand no straps just chalk.

135x20

225x20

315x17

365x9    Little sloppy but chest seemed to hold

225x23 

Pulldowns to the front: shoulder width(any wider would hurt my chest) had to go easy on these

100x20

150x25

150x25

200x20

Tried Triangle grip but really bothered my right pec major.

One Dumbbell Rows

90x20

120x2x20

140x15

Hammer Low Row

2 plates per side 20 each hand

3 plates per side 2 sets 20 reps

These felt ok if I really focused and squeezed the lats hard, not a lot of pull in the chest

Abs

Hanging leg raises 3x15 reps

Decline situps 2 to failure w/o weight

At this point I called it quits, didn't want to train too much because this is my first Back workout since my chest surgery.  Hopefully I can add chins and med. heavy axle deads next week.

Good grief?

Thats your FIRST back workout since your surgery?

Some nice heavy bent over rows.

Keep up the reports.

Todd,

was that a plastic surgery? :laugh

Good job.

Edited by FrankyBoy

Frankyboy,

I think I went too big 550cc in left breast and 600cc right, I wasn't expecting to be a DD cup. :blink:D

1/21/05 Cardio 25 min EFX and abs

1/22/05 Shoulders/Calves

Warm-up 15 minutes on Stair Stepper Med pace

Axle Bar Clean one rep and press

125x10

175x10

225x10

285x8

305x2

All cleans were double overhand no continental with just chalk, no belt or elbow sleeves. I was very happy with my two working sets though. I usually do three but didn't want to push.

DB shoulder Press Standing

50x25

80x25

80x20

Side Laterals

50x15

60x2x15

Front Raises

40x12

50x2x12

Rear Delt Raises

50x3x15

Seated Calf Raises

90x50

135x50

180x50

225x25

After my workout Shane was toying with his new MM3 replica that he purchased from Warren Tetting. Shane gave the "PIG" a no set and handed it to me. I couldn't duplicate with a no set but did close it. By saying this am I in no way saying that I could close and cert on the MM3, its just the replica. I did start the process however to cert on the #3 on video but it was on Shane's first MM2 video that turned out bad.

Impressive weights being tossed around in this log. :bow

What are some of your best/pet lifts ?

I want proof of the cardio supposedly done on the 21st.

Just kidding bro, I must call you on the fact that a normal 10 minute 'warmup' on the EFX turned into 25 minutes because some college girls were next to you. YOU'RE MARRIED FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! Now give me your grippers or I will tell the wife.

Show its good to have motivation!! Who am I kidding they don't check-out fat old guys like me, but its fun to look :D

Darco I love the core stuff like deads, squats, cleans, and love grip stuff. All of it needs improvement and is coming slowly!

Chest DB incline press @ 30 degrees

Warm-up

working sets 80x20

120x17

120x15

120x15 Nice and slow trying not to aggravate my pec

Hammer Incline

2 plate per side 20

3x20

3x15

Flat/Incline flys

really light, the stretch really bothered

25x10

30x2x10

Both flat and Incline

Decline Barbell

135x15

225x20

225x20

It seemed that the actual press hurt less than the flys. I think that my triceps took over because they seem to be extra sore. Flys were ridiculous!

Barbell behind the next shrugs

135x15

225x20

315x15

405x2x10 with straps on this set.

DB shrugs

80x2x20

140x2x15

Abs/light stretching for 15 minutes

All in all not bad for the first chest day in almost a month.

1/25/05

Cardio was the only thing that felt ok today. Really tired and cut it short

Biceps

hammer curls

50x20

60x15

90x8

90x7

Preacher Curls

60x3x15

Triceps

Pushdowns

Warm up

150x3x30 Straight Bar

Single Cable pushdown

50x2x10

80x10

100x10

Would have been better staying home. Biceps were sore from previous back and shoulder day. Usually get into arm training more with heavy curls and close grip bench.

1/27/05 Back Day (DEADS)

Cardio Warm-up on EFX 12 minutes

Warm-up with front wide pulldowns

100x20

150x20

200x20

Axle Double Overhand

125x10

225x8

325x6

405x2 Had more reps in the tank but wanted a PR

445x1 PR!! Lock out was no question with a nice pause

505x6 Switched grips to over/under, no belt

600x5 same grip, no belt, just chalk. This set didn't feel very good was expecting more. Form was crap, I think that I had maybe one left in me but didn't want to push. I open to any thoughts here!

Pulldowns triangle bar 200x2x20

DB rows @ the same time

50x20

80x20

100x15

Back Extensions/Bent leg raises for core each three sets to failure

This is all that I had this particular day! My core needs lots of work as well.

Question for the gripboard members.. Should I continue to train without a belt of just use one on my last two heavy sets. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Been busy and didn't have a chance to add new entry but did have a chest day and biceps/triceps.

1/31/05

Legs and Farmers Holds

Warm-up EFX for 20 minutes med/high pace.

I need lots of warm-up and it usually doesn't effect my leg day

Leg extensions

Warm-ups

250x20

300x2x20

Squats

135x15

225x10

315x12

405x15

500x6 All squats were without a belt or knee wraps. Had more in me but lower back was getting tight from farmers holds

Farmers holds were performed between squat sets

Alumatech handles

2 plates per handle

3 plates per handle didn't count time easy

working sets with 365 per handle 30 sec. Had more wanted to go up

385Lbs per stopped at 30 sec. Lower back was tight and stiff should have worn a belt on these. I haven't trained with this apparatus for about 6 months so I was pleased. Hopefully I can start "holding" 400-410 and doing some distance with 350#'s next week. My goal is to go 60ft with 410-425lbs by June at a good pace no set-downs

Leg Press

Narrow foot placement

We have a Cybex Leg press which is really nice at our gym.

Warm-up

720x3x25 These were easy just concentrated on squeezing and going way down.

Abs/plate pinches

Thanks guys! I tell ya that this board has help tons. I knew little to nothing about grip before becoming a member. Top notch expertise on strongman and weightlifting as well. Please feel free to giving me advise, I sure would appreciate it :D

Tom the Alumatech handles are actually not slippery at all I don't think. They don't have knurling but with your hands chalked up well you get little to no slippage. I've been in only one strongman with farmers as an event though and this was years ago, so I don't have much to compare to. I think that Shane and I will buy some handles and other goodies form Lance Peterson, good products!! Love the log :D

2/1/05 No Cardio today

Chest

Warm-up Incline DB 30 degree angle

140x3x10,8, 8

120x2x15

Hammer incline

2plates per 20reps

3 plates 20 reps

4 plates 12 was happy with these as I had no spots.

Both flat and incline flys

50x10 both

80x3x10 both

decline press

135x20

225x2x20

Cable Crossovers high

really concentrated on the squeeze, not a lot of weight

Good stuff man, I'm enjoying this log.

Lance,

Last time I emailed him was about a week ago and he was still unsure. I bet he would have fun events though, lots of axle stuff :D

Keep me posted on your training as well.. I heard that you are going to make some wicked fun equipment!! I would be glad to contribute to the cause if you allowed me to train on a Sat/Sun. Sent my entry to Jeff P today hopefully its not full!! Looks like a great comp. I'll keep you posted!

Todd

2/2/05

Cardio to warm-up 25 mins on EFX and Walking on high incline

Felt like crap and had a long day @ work

Started triceps and stopped after two sets of close grip bench. 225# felt sooo... heavy, I guess that means I had a good chest day or that I was stupid to attempt tris the day after chest.

Did have a good day with Abs though. I worked them in between calves for a half hour. They are really sore today!

Calves feel good as well.

After work tonight I plan to go flip my 890# tire for reps. It's so nice in SD, I think that we are in the mid/high 40's!!!

Also plan to run some sprints with 40's and a few 100's.

Today is a better day

Sure man, just let me know early on in the week when if you want to train on the weekend. Hopefully the weather stays decent here. My wife works the weekends so I home almost every weekend. I would like to come up and train with you guys to. I would like to take a shot at Shane's Millenium!

Edited by lancep

2/4/05

Sounds like the MDB has a new home with Shane as he is going as I write to pick it up from Joel S. We have a bet going to who will pick it up first, not lots of money because I don't think that pig is going to move off the ground :blink

I think that the Show has as good of chance as any and I bet within time he will get it, give it hell man!!!!

I think that I'm getting soft in my old age. For example I cared little if my body hurt I would just push it, saw progress also injuries! My biceps were hurting last night so I decline the attempts on the tire. Did cardio for 30 mins. As I read this I think that I may have turned into a softy!

I do plan to get a PR with the C+P with the Axle. I would like to see 325x3-4 today. I know if I hit the clean the press will be good. Room for lots of improvement in the clean that for sure. Always use double overhand never tried continental. Any thoughs on this? Also do you guys think that I should continue not wearing elbow sleeves? Do most comps allow them? Thoughts would be appreciated!

• 9 months later...

Here we go again!

I have lots of work to do. I seem to have replaced so of the muscle that I use to have with a nice layer of abdominal fat :blink

Current weight is 287lbs and more fat than I'm use to carrying. Goal is to compete at around the 275 mark being considerably leaner, hopefully under 10%. I need to find motivation again. After looking at my previous posted I have lots of work to do.

Goals till the end of the year.

Squat: 400x15, 500x6 315x50 raw with no belt, wraps, or knee sleeves. Lots of work here.

Deads: I'm shooting for a 700# single, 500x12-15, Axle 2" 600x3-4, with a double overhand of 425#.

Chest: I need to hit it from all angles and incorporate incline bar to the mix.

Shoulder Press: Push press 315x4 275x10 225x20

Log 12" 280# 3-6, 330 single

I need a good set of stones. Any of you guys in Minnesota have a set of stones you would like to sell? I'm in SD and would drive for them.

I just need to get back into the swing of things again. Today is leg day and hopefully logging my workout will give me motivation to get those last few reps.

Nice to see you back at it Todd! Work hard and those goals should be around the corner! :rock

Here we go again!

I have lots of work to do.  I seem to have replaced so of the muscle that I use to have with a nice layer of abdominal fat :blink

Current weight is 287lbs and more fat than I'm use to carrying.  Goal is to compete at around the 275 mark being considerably leaner, hopefully under 10%.  I need to find motivation again.  After looking at my previous posted I have lots of work to do. 

Goals till the end of the year.

Squat:  400x15, 500x6 315x50 raw with no belt, wraps, or knee sleeves.  Lots of work here. 

Deads:  I'm shooting for a 700# single, 500x12-15, Axle 2" 600x3-4, with a double overhand of 425#.

Chest:  I need to hit it from all angles and incorporate incline bar to the mix.

Shoulder Press:  Push press 315x4 275x10 225x20

Log 12" 280# 3-6, 330 single

I need a good set of stones.  Any of you guys in Minnesota have a set of stones you would like to sell?  I'm in SD and would drive for them. 

I just need to get back into the swing of things again.  Today is leg day and hopefully logging my workout will give me motivation to get those last few reps.

good goals and wish you luck

Thanks guys!

Squats today

Been trying to reduce the # of sets and just work on intensity.

135x2x10

225x2x10

315x10

405x6

315x15 knees felt good and hip seems to be holding. I would say my depth was a touch below parallel. Shoot for 405x10 next time

Single leg press:

Didn't try to go as heavy, however I really tried to squeeze each rep. Heaviest was like 220# for 15 for three sets

Very light leg extensions

50x50

70x50

Seated leg curls and lying leg curls for reps of 20

Little ab work and back extensions finished it off.