Canadian Corner Challenge # 1

Darco

This one is between Jonathan McMillan and Kÿle Vezeau (aka me). First person to table curl 100 lbs with one arm gets props.

Awesome title to the challenge log Darco the: ....of Doom -really is the kicker !!! :cool

Had some time to stew over this while watching Iron Chef with my co-workers. Here's a couple of things I came up with:

Don't go crazy with this lift, train sensibly. Looking at those pics of Destroyer and crew doing the lift...looks like it could put a lot of compression forces on the elbow joint. To combat this risk of injury I plan on experimenting with various padding...along with the benches padding. ie. an elbow pad? I also figure on training with a slight variation of the lift that would increase the ROM and take away some of the direct compression force on the elbow. I would do this by either training a preacher bench curl, or just using the bench but insuring the upper arm is lying as much as possible on the bench. I will also experiment with positioning so that the dumbell can start lower then the strict bench top curl. In my head I figure training this increased ROM less elbow stress style lift 2-3times a week and practicing the strict style once a week time permitting.

Jon@han

Table curls are nice for over-all arm strength. I don't know about calling them Biceps table curls, for they do not stress biceps. In my gallery I have a picture of me doing reps with a 100 pound DB. I do them all the time for arm strength in arm wrestling training. Good luck, guys.

Sixgun...

Oldguy,

Thanks, I have to figure out how to do that.

Sixgun...

First Work out: lbs x reps

Table Curl: 15 x 15 + lots of streching

40 x 10

60 x 6

70 x 3

72 x 2 left, 3 right

75 x 2 right

1 Board Table Curl (ROM cut by 1.5") 60 x 17 left, 23 right

Behind The Back Wrist Curl: 135 x 10

________________________135 x 10

________________________155 x 10

_______________ASS Curls:155 x 10

________________________165 x 10

________________________170 x 10

Behind The Back Wrist Curl: 135 x 30

Here's how I plan on attacking this Challenge: Build up to a max triple every workout, once I fail to make 3 reps I stop, and switch to one set of high reps. Every workout I'm going to add a board till I get to 4 boards, then I'll restart without any boards and work my way back up.

Six gun I called them Bicep curls to deferentiate them fro table top wrist curls. Nice curl in that pic.

Probably Going to be doing 1-2 workouts a week

This workout let me know where I stand, and my weakness is about 2" into the curl.

Edited by Darco

Darco,

Ok, I see why you called them that, now. Workout looks good. Keep it up. You'll get stronger as time goes by. Just don't rush it, and stay with em. I'll be watching the log. Good luck.

Six...

Thanks for the input sixgun!! :) BTW your ROM looks much better then the pics Darco showed me. I didn't have the time this afternoon to set up the curl for some experimentin'

Nice first workout Darco!!! Are the boards placed under the elbow to help increase the ROM? What are you using for padding??

Jon@han

I'm decreasing the range of Motion ! :) !

I'm using my flat bench length wise, seems to be plenty of padding.

Just my input here. I don't us boards. I have a one inch hard rubber pad. I go full range of motion because I want to be strong from start to finish. I go from the table, up to my chin.

I can do, I think, right now, maybe 130 pounds for one rep. Dave Patton has done a 160 pound DB Table-curl in a contest in front of many witnesses. It just takes time and training. And by time, I don't mean weeks! Getting strong takes dedication. I mean months and years. Some people give up after a few months and they have hit their goals. Don't do that. Make your goals a life time if you have too.

Sixgun...

Understood Sixgun, but I'm adapting a west side approach to this, well see where it gets me. I Agree, it will take some time but I KNOW Jon and I will both finish this challenge and possibly move on to a second one long before I manage to flog my #2. :)

I see David Horne is reading the log, how much can you do if you dont mind me asking ?

Good job, Darco. Just stay with it and you will get strong in the movement. Good luck.

Six...

Mossman,

Sorry, I missed your question. Isaac brought it to my attention in his post.

There is a little bit of biceps in the Table-curl, but it is mostly the hand, wrist, belly of the forearm, rear shoulders and upper lats. Those are all of the muscles that I bring into action when I Table-curl. The biceps adds some support, but not directly as a bicep would in a DB curl.

I started out years ago doing a 30 pound DB. It just takes time and constant training.

Sixgun

I agree, I think this exerise makes your weaknesses stand out, my arm strength is in no way proportianate to my upper back strength, my brachialis is without a doubt my weak link.

This challenge looks cool guys, very unusual. It has inspired me to start putting some of these table curls into my workout. Best of luck to you guys!

So is your elbow bent at about 90degrees throughout the whole movement?

It's a bicep contraction, it just doesnt work the bicep that much.

Table Curls: 1 Board:

60 x 3

65 x 3

70 x 3

75 x 3

77 x 3

77 x 3

80 x 2L 1R

2 Boards: 67 x 15L 20R

Reverse Curls: Bands Thru PVC thickbars.

Edited by Darco

Has anybody ever heard of a 200 lb one arm table curl ?