Hg Grippers

lattermunch

JUST WONDERING WHAT MOST OF YOU GUYS THINK OF THE HG GRIPPERS. I GOT THE HG200 AND IT SEEMS EASIER THAN THE COC#1. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK AND WERE WOULD YOU RATE THIS GRIPPER IN COMPARISON TO THE COC GRIPPERS

They look good, but the chromed handles are somewhat slick, and they season very rapidly becoming much easier to close. There again they are fairly cheap.

Which one of them would be considered harder than a munber two?

My HG 250 is maybe a 2.1...the HG 300 maybe 2.7 close to a BBSM.

There's a good ongoing discussion going on in this thread.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10958&st=0

Anyhow, so far I'm quite happy with my HG grippers. I have yet to use chalk, so as Old Guy stated, they can be a bit slick, but to me this is only noticable if I'm really sweated up from other stuff.

Paul, perhaps my new 2004 IM grippers are all more difficult than older ones, since my HG 250 has the wider spread (2.72) and is equal to my #2 as experienced by me and other male family members. Your HG 250 has the newer narrower spread, which should make it easier, but it is slightly more difficult than your #2.

I'd rate my HG 300 about a 2.4, and in any event HG300s would seem to be a good choice for someone wanting a gripper between the #2 and #3.

Anyhow, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to comparing grippers, since they can vary so much even from the same manufacturer. Therfore, if someone's #2 is an easy or hard one or his HG250 is easy or hard, the entire comparison may not be the same if you go out and buy one of each today.

..neilkaz..

• 4 weeks later...

I just got an HG200 and HG250 today. I had been hoping that the 200 would be tougher than my COC 1 but it seems to be about the same or even a tad bit easier.

The 250 is quite a bit tougher. I got to about 3/8" from closing it on my first attempt. I don't have anything but the COC 1 to compare it to.

In my experience the next steps after the #1 are a BBSA (1.2), then a PDA243 (1.5), then a BBSM(1.8), then a #2.

Be aware the Beef Builder grippers have an easier sweep than the COC grippers. I'd prefer if they were tough all the way through.

The PDA grippers are tough all the way through but have softer knurling that can get a little slippery but is easier on the hands.

If I was going to get just one of the grippers above, I'd get the PDA243.

• 1 month later...

My very unscientific "scale push" testing shows:

lightly seasoned 2004 IM #2 to take 126.5 pounds to close, while the

lightly seasoned HG 250 takes 115 pounds to close.

Seasoned HG200: 86 pounds

Seasoned IM #1 : 92.5 pounds

Edited by Anthony

My very unscientific "scale push" testing shows:

lightly seasoned 2004 IM #2 to take 126.5 pounds to close, while the

lightly seasoned HG 250 takes 115 pounds to close.

Seasoned HG200: 86 pounds

Seasoned IM #1 : 92.5 pounds

Anthony, I agree with your rankings as observed on my late 2004 HG's and IM's

The HG200 is a bit easier than the IM #1 and the HG250 is easier than the IM #2.

.. neilkaz ..

My HG200 is similar to a #1, my HG250 is like my easier #2, and my HG300 is probably like a 2.5-2.6. I am happy with them, and the narrow grip of them is nice, i can mash the HG300 no set. I also have the HG400 and HG500, I have closed the 400 with a deep set, as for the 500 I can barely budge it. :D

• 1 month later...

I have the HG150 and HG300. I like the grippers. Though I like like my CoCs more the HGs offer good inbetween sizes. I would rate the 300 as a 2.5-2.6 also.

In my experience the next steps after the #1 are a BBSA (1.2), then a PDA243 (1.5), then a BBSM(1.8), then a #2. 

Be aware the Beef Builder grippers have an easier sweep than the COC grippers.  I'd prefer if they were tough all the way through.

The PDA grippers are tough all the way through but have softer knurling that can get a little slippery but is easier on the hands.

If I was going to get just one of the grippers above, I'd get the PDA243.

There is no way a BBSM is 1.8 you must have meant a BBM!

BBSM some are 250 and some are 260 with that range but it can be

265 as well. But I great inbetween gripper.

Hello Captain, how would you rate the BBSM that you tried on Sunday against the HG 300? Wondering minds want to know. Also, you were wise to keep going to Gilroy on Sunday. We ate at McDonald's. :cry

Hubgeezer

I have HGs from the 100 to 500 and I they seem quite a bit easier to close than the IM CoCs but I think it is not only the coil spring but mainly the more narrow grip. Since my hands are probably average at best in size I can get m paws around them easier. As you can see in my gallery photo I closed the 100 using only my thumb and index finger. As for the 400 I've only picked it up about 5 times and I can no set close it within 1/4" or little less from metal to metal. The 500 well all I can say about that monster is I chest crushed it like a crush down on a nail two times in a row so I thought wow a bending tool for crushing without wasting nails. I think this has the potential to make it more than a paper weight. I really don't do the grippers even though I have them and plan to , but when I got into this stuff on the Grip Board I was instantaneously bitten by the steel bending bug. SO for the last 2 moths I have had fun doing that. I started at 3/16 CRS and within 6 weeks I was at a grade 5. Sadly to say my wrists especially my left was injured pretty significantly when a 1/4" square CRS piece slipped so I have been nursing it back to health but I am only about 60% now after 8 days of intense recovery methods and medicines.

Yes, I meant the BBM.  I think I'd just got a BBSM when I typed this post.  I must have been too excited about it.

Haha..yeah new gripper fever...I have the same affliction!!

I have the 100-300, my 200 seems a little harder than the IM#1, I close it 100 times to season it and it still feels a little harder, even with the narrower spread. My 250 seems a tad bit easier than my #2, mainly because the narrow spread, but I still can't close it yet. They are great for the money though.

Hello Captain, how would you rate the BBSM that you tried on Sunday against the HG 300? Wondering minds want to know. Also, you were wise to keep going to Gilroy on Sunday. We ate at McDonald's.  :cry

Hubgeezer

Personally I'd put the BBSM and the HG300 at just about the same. The BBSM has a wider spread though.

my 200 seems a little harder than the IM#1, I close it 100 times to season it and it still feels a little harder, even with the narrower spread. My 250 seems a tad bit easier than my #2

That's pretty much exactly how my 200 and 250 feel to me. I know the grippers vary, but the ones I own feel like this:

#1 < BBSA < HG200

and

BBM < HG250 (2 7/16" spread) < #2 (3" spread)

• 1 month later...

I have the HG 100-300, CoC 1 and an unopened CoC 2.

Had the HG's and is not strong enough to close the HG250, can close the HG200 (ses of five on a bad day and 12-15 on a good day).

My HG 150 feels VERY easy (can do 50 reps on this one good and bad days) and hence I wanted something in between the HG 150 and HG 200. I thougt this would be the CoC 1 but it turned out that the CoC 1 was just a tiny little easier than my HG200.

I also hoped that the CoC 2 should be in between the HG200 and HG250 but I guess it will be at least as hard to close as the HG250?

How Does the CoC Trainer compare to HG150?