Tonight's Workout

GarytheDino

Tommy cam by tonight.........

We started with the grade 8 Fat Bastard certs. I have been strugling with G8 for a couple months.........Tommy killed one in front of me and that got me fired up!!!!!!!!!! So I killed the other one. Then Tommy pulled out another G8 and bent it underhand..........Ok fine. I pulled out a 5" G5 and killed it. Tommy killed another 8. I pulled out a 4.5 G5 and got it half way....Tommy took it from me and finixhed it with a little bracing. It was definatly a bending duel tonight. We traded back and forth......his bending has sky rocketed in thelast couple months and I finally got past that brick wall at the G8.

Tommy got me so fired up tonight. It was pure craziness!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried not to curse to much and just channel the energy into the bend.

He tought me how to scroll tonight. 1/2" stuff and he did a 5/8" into 2 circles. We did some shorter stuff too.

I did the MM entry level cert. also. Bending definatly gets me fired up for grippers.  Then what does Tommy do.............a double no-set with #3's then a

one arm pushup no set #3 with the other hand.......What the crap was that? I heard the second rep click!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tommy is the second person to tell me that the #3 is average and not an easy one. That made me feel even better.

It was 2.5 hours of total insanity......We did get video of it all.

We finshed off with some 2 finger pair of 35's pinch. Oh , yeah I played with the blob but only got the 40.

I probably left a bunch of stuff out but oh well. Wish I would have known Tommy 20 years ago or so.......maybe I could have been this way all along.

Oh my...that gripper work has to be about the sickest thing i have ever heard of, in a long long time......tommy i was very impressed with a double #3 no set, but a one arm pushup and no set?! what?!CRAZY!!!! tommy, i got one for ya.....get into a handstand against the wall, then a one arm......then get handed a #3 and try it....now that i want to see.....also, very impressive bending by both of you...those G8'S are SICK!

I didn't mention the times of the bends last night.

Tommy G8 20sec

Gary G8 25sec

Gary 5" G5 15 sec These bends were very fast. We have to move up next time. Tommy is much better at crushdown than me. His time reflected that, also he the world class gripper or whatever it is. I couldn't quite get it.

Tonight.........concentrated on no sets.......worked up to #2 and got it once. Did several more attempts. Did a few nwgatives with Elite. Did some block tosses and that was it. Need couple days rest now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slacking on my reports. Partly because I'm shifting gears and thinking of new things to try.

Today I trained grippers twice HARD. The second workout was the best. I did the second one because I knew I could do better.

I'll pick back up with tonight's workout.

#3 the other one

Rb260 2 negatives

Filed #2 overcrush x2

2 no-sets Hg200

Played with wrist roller, man that feels good.

Pulled a half tore deck out and had a fight to tear it only to find out it was 42 cards.

Got a new deck of 56 (4 jokers) took at least 5 minutes but I tore it and ended up with 53 cards (ruined 3 during the tear) Think this was my best because I tore it in half and didn't accidentally corner it.

I'm giving bending a couple weeks off. In the morning I'll bench, the plan is to move the weight up while bending is resting and see how it's affecting the bench. I might get out the old truck pull rope and toss it up in a tree. Think I'm too fat to climb it with out legs but maybe I can at least do pullups on it.

Yep, I'm too fat for the rope. I'll try it for pullups.

Bench top set

350x7

305x5x2sets

Tricep extensions

135x10x6sets

I went light on these because I was getting a bunch of non grip related stuff ready for E-bay. I have a whole bunch of stuff to sell.

All I need is a barbell and a few hundred pounds and my grippers and bending stock. This other stuff is going!!!!!

I got home from work this morning and could not settle down enough to sleep. I decided to grip instead.

Soaked for 5 minutes nice and warm.

Felt pretty good going though warmups. T 1 2 SM the #3 went nice and I decided to cut me a spacer a little wider than paralell, I held it in my teeth while I set the gripper then checked the depth after a pause and I closed the other #3. I did some forced rep-negatives with the Elite in a choker. 2 overcrushes with filed #2. Negatives on the grip machine about 5 each hand. I have a hex 35 with sloped edges on loan that I strapped 12.5 pounds to and lifted it a few times. Did several holds with 35. Did the wrist roller for one set. My hands were sliding more than anything but got it to the top.

I think training like this I'll need a day rest between workouts. I fell like I got in some good work. Now I'll go out and play with the kids for a while and wind down to go to sleep. I work again tonight.

I think my block lifting needs the most work now. A 45 would be nice. 50? , that seams a little too freaky for now I'll be happy with 45.

Tomorrow is bench.......bending still on hold............

Gary,

Nice workout post nightshift? Latley I haven't been able to do any training immeadiately after my nightshifts. It used to be the only way I got any training done as if I put it off until after I had slept -I would never get around to it.

Jon@han

I work a rotating swing shift. I'm always messed up. Every week is a different shift and when you add some big overtime in..........I don't even know what day it is or if it even is day unless I look out the window.

Just about the same thing happened today. Got home from work and couldn't go to sleep. I was thinking about my workout when it was time to get up. That's what keep me awake. So I decided to go ahead with it. I know I'll get some rest afterwards..............

Bench warmups then.........

I debated whether to go 350 and try for more reps or 375 and try for 5.

I went with 375 and got 4 this is only one rep less than my best ever. I weigh about 10 pounds less than when I did it last year. Well, close but no cigar........so like a dumbass after I was spend on that set I thought I could hit a PR with 400. My previous best was 2 reps.........today....1.

Did one down set with 335x5 and that was all I had.

Triceps pushdowns 130x8x6 sets

Also worked in some light rotor work between these.

Next week I hope to hit a new max or at least match what I did about a year ago.........and that will be fine since I weigh less. After that I'll go back to bending and see what happens and maybe start some dinosaur bench presses with the 3" bar.

I'm trying grip every other day now, but with all the new stuff I'm doing it feels like too often. The reason I say this is that I could not close the #3 today and I also had sore and stiff hands when I woke up.

I did grippers but not too much. #2 was even hard today

Block weights, a whole bunch up to 35+10

Negatives on the grip machine 3 each hand 175

Wrist roller 4 sets, 2 each way it takes about 20turns to get to the top 60pounds is the weight I've been using.

I have not been posting every workout, but here is how today's went.....

Bench top set was 375x5. I felt good about that. It matched my previous best and at a lighter weight. Of course it was done without any type of wrap or hand off. It was touch and go style. I played with bending a little today. Took a good break from it for a few weeks.

Grippers went well too........I have been taking a day or two off between workouts, I'm still hitting the block weights hard. I used a 1" spacer to check my set. Closed both #3's that way. No set inverted #2 in left hand and no set #2 right hand.

Block weights.....tappered hex 35 with 15 strapped to it. Went easy.....I hope when I get a 40 to practice with I'll be ready for an extra 2.5 or so.

I'm just going to start posting when something out of the ordinary happens from now on. I have 2 #3's on the way hopefully they are "hard"..............didn't think I would ever wish for that............

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my focus to blocks for a while. Today I worked up to Blob50 with two fingers plus thumb of one hand and thumb plus one finger of second hand. If I had two thumbs on the same hand maybe I could have done it. Blob50 is the newest addition to my weight room along with MM1R. Anyway I did some forced reps riding the momentum to the top. I can't hold it yet. This was the first time I ever tried a 50 block weight. Previously I have done a 42.5 and a 35plus 15 strapped to it. I played with several different ways to practice it. Think I'll try some grip tape until I can handle it without. Between sets I did 3" bar benches from the bottom up........305x12 singles I will refer to theses as D presses in the future so I don't have to type all that. D for dinosaur.

Yesterday the MM1R arrived and I played with it some. The first step is to close it in a choker. Close but not yet.

I expect some company this weekend so it should be some good stuff to report.

I hope I don't jinx myself by reporting this...........here is what I did today.

MM in choker

MMwith braced set

MMwith regular set

At least a dozen no-sets with #1

Hopefully I can close the MM for my visitors Sunday.

Hammerhead came down today. He has been mostly bending and did a grade 8. The last time we met I was bending only and had put grippers and blocks on the back burner. This time it was the opposite and I bent poorly. G5 was all for me.

He tried to coach me at tearing. I still struggle with cards but did get a messy deck. We did a phone book each. We played with grippers too. I can add 2 more #3's to my list of #3's closed. I did the MM1replica. We played with blocks up to 42.5. Eric cleaned the 37.5, I felt like I was going to lose it so I set it down.

We had to cut it a little short because it started to snow hard.

I have a new no-set goal........it's my RB260N not too far away. I got it past parralel today. That's pretty close because the spring has a smaller diameter. I'll start taking measurements.

I think I should persue the MM1 as my first goal though. I can close the replica now but want to make sure I can handle more in case the real one is harder.

My next goal is 45 blob and eventually The Blob. Tonight I cleaned the york 37.5 without using the index finger with each hand. I think I can DL the 42.5 with the same fingers after an extra days rest.

Great job on the clean Gary! Soon you'll be cleaning that 42.5.lber.

You'll be no setting that gripper in no time. Keep hammering those grippers and the MM1 will be your's for sure. Your grippers have taken off!

I had a great time and look forward to meeting again.

-HH

As promissed I started using the 3" bar for bench........today I did a bunch of singles ending up with 380........the presses were done from the bottom up. 400 should not be a problem. I've done it on Appolons axle before but not a 3". I'll up the antee next week. It's kind of funny how many times a 400 pound bench on a 3" bar from the bottom is mentioned in Dinosaur Training..........I counted over 40 times. It's the most mentioned thing in the book..........so I figure I have to do it.

Dips 4 sets of 10 or so

Bending went to 60 then jumped to some hard stuff and missed

Tore a deck of cards........making good progress....it's getting cleaner.

I'll hit grippers tonight or tommorrow depending if it comes in the mail and what time.

I did the 400 dinosaur style today...........on a 3" bar starting from the bottom. I don't see what the big deal is with benching on a 3" bar though. That was the first time I did it on a 3". I did it a while back on Appolons axle. Maybe I'll max out or go to floor presses the old fashioned way ( with no rack ).

Grip training is going well. I have closed 7 out of the last 8 #3's I have tried including a "2004". The single stamp one I had trouble with. The spread is really wide.

Got me a dyno!

Think I need to get the feel for it. Yesterday I squeezed less than 160.

Today i got 175. Hopefully with some rest I can get 180 plus (where it should be)

I hit 196 on the dyno the other day but I need more rest. I couldn't close the #3 because of trying to kill the dyno. It's new to me and you know how that goes.

I'm still try to grip every other day, sometimes I go 3 days in a row then take 2 off.............it's hard to stay away sometimes. I've made good progress 3x a week since I dropped bending.

I'm going to ease back into bending again.........the crushdown was hurting my shoulder........it feels great now and pressing is going well also.

I have a heavy press and tricep day on the weekend..........mid week I'm adding bending along with a few sets of dips and pushdowns. I'll watch this closely to see what happens.....................the dips are intended to mimic my bending style in which I lean back.........unlike most overhand benders that are upright or leaning forward. The triceps could stand a second lighter workout.

I've started doing back raises again a couple times a week to try and keep my back healthy..........my goal is to be able to squat and deadlift with light weight again. I hit abs on this day with leg raises. I like pulldowns with a reverse grip or sometimes pullups. This is really just a fitness type woorkout.

I try to go for walks and bike ride through out the week also for fitness and give my legs some type of work. Even leg press bother my back sometimes, so I do this. In the summer I swim a little also.

I still weigh in the 230's where I'm comfortable but could stand to lose a little weight.

Edit; I use blocks for thumb strength and general hand stength after grippers usually but sometimes I mix it up a little.

Edited by GarytheDino

Ok, I took 5 days rest because I was overtrained. I did all the hand stuff tonight but will probably have a bend-tear day by itself.

Grippers........went up to my easiest #3 then took another shot at the dyno........got 185 right and 175 left. Back to grippers and missed all the other #3's. I just got a single stamp #3 3.25 wide and can't do anything with it. It feels worse than an Elite. I could not even move it in a choker and had trouble even getting the choker on it. This gripper is unreal!!!!!! That was right hand............with the left I did blocks but even the 42.5 was too much ..........think I did to much dyno and too much setting. Oh yeah.........did 2 overcrushes with SM and 2 negatives with rb260 in a pipe. I tore a deck of cards and seem to improve with every try. I used the torn deck and pulled some cards out to practice quartering and save me some money. I did a phone book and quartered it...........I also use the smaller pieces to practice like my card tearing style. After all this I bent up to a Grade 5.

I had a good workout tonight.

Bench from the bottom 3" bar. Top set of 415x1

Close grip the same way stop on every rep 235x10x3

pushdown 120x10x2

Grippers up to #3 for 5 singles then did some negatives and overcrushes.

Blob's got a new pr.........cleaned 37.5 with 2 fingers and thumb got 42.5 off the ground with 3 fingers plus thumb.

Tried to tear a deck but couldn't...maybe been overtraining close pinch.......actually have been overtraining all grip.

Tore 2 phone books........need some bigger ones.

Had a good workout today...........

Bench on 3" bar from the bottom.......top set was 415x1

Grippers and dyno.........ended up with 195 and pegged 200plus while holding it stable with the other hand........so that does not count.

Tore a phone book

Bent up to Grade 5 then did some volume with easy stuff.

Dips for a few sets

Blobs.........almost cleaned the 42.5 getting close.............45 wont budge

Tried to tear but was wore out.

Started some wrist work because that is my weakness...........levered and plate curls.

The dip and tricep plus light bending mid week seems to be working well.......I have to be careful not to over train on grip though. I try to keep it at 3-4 times a week...........I'm added more negatives and less max attempts.........dropping the overcrushes. Also starting wrist work...I have not done any since my underhand bending last summer.