• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• SqeezeMasterFlash

• deaner

• Jedd Johnson

I like the scrolling idea. I've only done it once, but really fun.

How about a one handed dead on a full length bar?

Edited by John Beatty

I like the scrolling idea. I've only done it once, but really fun.

How about a one handed dead on a full length bar?

I say we go with what John said, add 2 25's for laps, 32lb bag carry for time, and most 60d's bent in 2 minutes.

And by scrolling I meant my idea of the thickest 12" bar bent braced.

How about vbar with a 2" loading pin? No bracing your hands against your body or the plates. I also like the 2 hand pinch and one hand deadlift. What really sounds cool is the two hand deadlift using only the pinky and rings from each hand - double overhand too. Underhand bending would be cool.

I like the V-bar idea. What about just screwing a piece of 1" pipe into a floor flange? You could still use olympic plates if you prefer, and sliding a piece of 2" PVC pipe over the bottom portion of the bar to help keep the olympic plates from sliding around works well.

Also, and endurance type of event sounds good. Any kind of deads are always easy to contest. I did, however, receive some compaints about the pain and injury risk with using only two fingers per hand with the deads. But I did enjoy the two finger deads from two contest ago, despite, or maybe because of, the pain.

what is a 32# bag carry? what kind of bag are we talking about?

Like a burlap sack filled with coins or sand. Grasp it any way you want. The guy who put this on the map walked for a mile without dropping it or re-gripping.

I like the V-bar idea.  What about just screwing a piece of 1" pipe into a floor flange?  You could still use olympic plates if you prefer, and sliding a piece of 2" PVC pipe over the bottom portion of the bar to help keep the olympic plates from sliding around works well.

Eric, I use a 1" pipe screwed into a flange for my vbar. A pic and description are in my gallery. I think the whole cost around $5 I've never had a problem with the weight sliding around because I'm only lifting it a few inches at a time, and in one direction

Edited by ClayEdgin

I like the sack carry idea as it is one I've always wanted to try since my first reading of MOHS but just never got around to trying. A GGbash is always a way to get me to try new stuff :rock

Jon@han

The 2" loading pin vbar would be cool. for the 32lb bag carry, since it's fall, plenty of places will have those sandbags for snow driving weight. Otherwise, most hardware stores carry sandbag bags. Do you carry it by the top of the bag at the neck? Or claw grip on the bag itself?

Don't think it matters what kind of bag, as long as you can fit 32 lbs of something in it... I thought the bag was held around the neck? that way it is constantly trying to slide through your hand.

If we go with the 1" pipe v-bar, we'd have to decide on a finish. Galvanized would be my choice.

If we go with the 1" pipe v-bar, we'd have to decide on a finish. Galvanized would be my choice.

The one I made a couple of days ago happens to be galvanized, but I'm not sure we need to necessarily try and regulate the finish too much, as long it's "smooth" (not knurled, covered with tape, lots of deep scratches or excessive rust).

I was thinking a 1" dimension would be easiest and cheapest for most guys (a 1" loading pin could be used in addtition to a threaded pipe). It would also be fun to get a very rough estimate of how we stack up against the GGC results.

Eric, for what it's worth, my PR on my homemade galvanized vbar is the same as what I recently did in the GGC. The biggest difference is that the galvanized bar was a little more painful and wouldn't accept chalk as easily. But I lifted the same weight on each.

Eric, for what it's worth, my PR on my homemade galvanized vbar is the same as what I recently did in the GGC. The biggest difference is that the galvanized bar was a little more painful and wouldn't accept chalk as easily. But I lifted the same weight on each.

That's nice to know, Clay. Especially the part about the galvanized being more painful. On my second V-bar workout the other day with my galvanized pipe, I worked up to 260+the bar and experienced a type of pain never before felt... well, there was that time I smashed my finger with a hammer.

Yes, i like the v-bar idea, even though ive never tried it. It would be a great excuse to go make one. I'm not too thrilled about 12" bar bending because its not so much a grip thing, more general upper body.

That's nice to know, Clay.  Especially the part about the galvanized being more painful.  On my second V-bar workout the other day with my galvanized pipe, I worked up to 260+the bar and experienced a type of pain never before felt... well, there was that time I smashed my finger with a hammer.

Try to imagine Jim Wylie's 530lbs+ v-bar lift with a thumb lock, with blood seeping through under his finger nails. I think the pain subsides when in competition mode. The adrenaline kick pretty much removes the pain factor. When you lift the v-bar by yourself at home you have all the time in the world to register the pain.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

How good of a test of hand strength is the vbar and what muscles are used? Or is it mostly about pain?

Its an excellent test of hand strength with your wrist flexed in a " ulnar- something position, please Jedd help me out here". It obviously tests how strong you are with your hand in this position. Imagine trying to pull someone up by their wrist while they are hanging off a cliff. :blink

Imagine trying to pull someone up by their wrist while they are hanging off a cliff. :blink

So Sylvester Stallone would be world champion :D

Its an excellent test of hand strength with your wrist flexed in a " ulnar- something position, please Jedd help me out here". It obviously tests how strong you are with your hand in this position. Imagine trying to pull someone up by their wrist while they are hanging off a cliff.

Ulnar deviation.

The ulna is the bone of the lower arm that lies medially to the radius when the hand is in full pronation, or rather, when the back of your hand faces the sky.

Two deviations that are often mentioned in conjunction with wrist postures are Ulnar deviation, where the pinky is moved toward the ulna, and radial deviation, where the thumb moves toward the radius.

Mainly, deviation occurs at any joint when the bones forming the joint leave neutral, I guess.....

I am over three years removed from Kinesiology class in college, but I hear it quite often at work (slaughter plant) where many people do damage to their hands by working too often in "ulnar deviation" by bending the wrist of their knife hand. Anyway, depsite the long time since the class, some of it still sticks from my line of work.

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson