Competitor List For The Ggc?

Mikael Siversson

I don't know who will win, but I think some records will fall. I think the level of competition in bending will be unreal and a true "world's best bender" will be revealed. I also wouldn't be surprized to see someone pinch around 225#, or more. I wish I could be there to see it.

Mike M.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom of Iowa2

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• smitty

I can't wait for this thing to go down! Being able to finally meet all these guys is going to be awesome.

The top 5 will be hard to call, but I agree about Rob W taking it. With such a strong field of competitors, it's impossible for me to say who is going to place where. A lot of folks in the top 10 are so close that it will depend on who brings the PR's. If I manage to bring a few PR's in my luggage, I will hopefully make it into the top 5.

I am really looking forward to Rob W and Mobster lifting some freaky poundages on the RT and especially looking forward to seeing some HUGE 2 hand pinching. Vbar is kinda unknown among most folks, although the buzz is that Eli and Jedd are the favorites. And the after-contest challenges and grip lifting will be nothing but beer-fueled Kodak moments!

Vbar is kinda unknown among most folks, although the buzz is that Eli and Jedd are the favorites.
From what I've heard, Clay's got some mad skills in this department too :rock
And the after-contest challenges and grip lifting will be nothing but beer-fueled Kodak moments!

No doubt about that... :blush

I'm gonna guess young Rob overall but I'm going with Clay on the v-bar. Is Big Steve competing? I didn't see his name on the list but TomofIowa2 mentions him in his post as a possible winner???

I don't know who will win, but I think some records will fall.

I hope with all these monster pinchers- in one place- that someone brings along an Iron Mind 'big'pinch block.

Someone in this bunch could easily set an 'official'?World Record in this event....even if it was done After the contest OR just beforehand.

I think this Pinch Block record......would ad a little "icing on the cake"?

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I'm gonna guess young Rob overall but I'm going with Clay on the v-bar. Is Big Steve competing? I didn't see his name on the list but TomofIowa2 mentions him in his post as a possible winner???

Oh?I just assumed he was....my bad.

I hope with all these monster pinchers- in one place- that someone brings along an Iron Mind 'big'pinch block.

There will be a really nice, brand new FBBC pinch block there, will be able to set it at 3 inches, and no current record on that apparatus (hint, hint):whistel

There will be a really nice, brand new FBBC pinch block there, will be able to set it at 3 inches, and no current record on that apparatus (hint, hint):whistel

Another very good idea! :cool

We should call this the "record breakers" contest

My skills in the vbar department are only limited to my homemade apparatus. The contest vbar could be easier or harder. I'm hoping its easier!

Absolutely GREAT idea!

With all sorts of 'official'implements and grippers and 'nails'and such...all sorts of records are a possiblity.

Someone could conceivably set a 'record' on the FBBC pinch block,the Iron Mind pinch block and the double handed pinch device.

My skills in the vbar department are only limited to my homemade apparatus. The contest vbar could be easier or harder. I'm hoping its easier!

In general, the LGC v-bar replica is harder than home made v-bars. I know of people doing 160kg with home made devices that failed with 140kg on a LGC v-bar replica. Clay should be good at v-bars though from all his pulling magic swords out of rocks. Honestly, one could ask the question why so many were willing to give the Diesel Crew a distinct advantage in the v-bar by not buying a LGC replica from GripBoard Member Arne.

Honestly, one could ask the question why so many were willing to give the Diesel Crew a distinct advantage in the v-bar by not buying a LGC replica from GripBoard Member Arne.

Not being quarrelsome but what is the difference between the two implements?

Not much of a V-bar lifter but i do own one.I bought what appeared to be a brand new one from Wannagrip a long time ago.

It should be one hell of a contest. Tom if you want to see a wr on the rt just get Bigger to show up. If someone could talk Magnus Samuelson into coming he could probably do damage on the rt record.

Surface texture I would guess. In fact all home made one inch v-bars that I know of produced higher poundages than the LGC v-bar replica. This, of course, tells us nothing about Clay's v-bar.

It should be one hell of a contest. Tom if you want to see a wr on the rt just get Bigger to show up. If someone could talk Magnus Samuelson into coming he could probably do damage on the rt record.

There are some darn RT lifters there.

I've noticed,with my own RT lifts, that when your hands are "feeling"good you can quickly make some progress.I', hoping Mobster,Rob or whomever..has a good day.

I've sometime suprised myself and jumped up 10# in one week.hoping some guys there.....actually suprse themselves. :blink

Surface texture I would guess. In fact all home made one inch v-bars that I know of produced higher poundages than the LGC v-bar replica. This, of course, tells us nothing about Clay's v-bar.

Mines doesn't. At the IG and the EU comps I lifted more. The ones used in competition get a lot more chalk and oil on them quicker than any used at home.

Mines doesn't. At the IG and the EU comps I lifted more. The ones used in competition get a lot more chalk and oil on them quicker than any used at home.

Oil???? :ohmy

Honestly, one could ask the question why so many were willing to give the Diesel Crew a distinct advantage in the v-bar by not buying a LGC replica from GripBoard Member Arne.

:rolleyes

Why? Cause it is a grip contest! It is not life. I am not forking over money for a replica bar that I will use for a month, then never touch again. Unless, of course, you fill me in on how the v-bar builds tremendous hand strength and improves grappling hand strength. I think the 1" cage pin works fine. And, if I dont do well in the v-bar lift with the replica, I will be alright.

Rick Walker :rock

Why?  Cause it is a grip contest!  It is not life.  I am not forking over money for a replica bar that I will use for a month, then never touch again.  Unless, of course, you fill me in on how the v-bar builds tremendous hand strength and improves grappling hand strength.  I think the 1" cage pin works fine.  And, if I dont do well in the v-bar lift with the replica, I will be alright.

Your attitude indicates that you do not take this very seriously, which is fine. At the same time you rave about Armstrong's super serious attitude in Tour de France. What is so wrong by taking it to the limit in grip strength competitions (i.e., using every possible advantage there is)? In summory, we have the fine art of cycling races and we have grip contests.

The v-bar obviously build the strength needed to perform a powerful pull on a bar or rope parallell with your forearm. No more important in life than a bench press I suppose, or lifting a blob or whatever. I like the v-bar in part because of the pain factor which gives me a kick every time I do it; a nice burning sensation in the palm.

Your attitude indicates that you do not take this very seriously, which is fine. At the same time you rave about Armstrong's super serious attitude in Tour de France. What is so wrong by taking it to the limit in grip strength competitions (i.e., using every possible advantage there is)? In summory, we have the fine art of cycling races and we have f*cking grip contests.

The v-bar obviously build the strength needed to perform a powerful pull on a bar or rope parallell with your forearm. No more important in life than a bench press I suppose, or lifting a blob or whatever. I like the v-bar in part because of the pain factor which gives me a kick every time I do it; a nice burning sensation in the palm.

Yep. Lets compare grip contests where you win little to NO money to the Tour where a win nets you hundreds of thousands, and the sponsorships you aquire for the win net you tens of millions. Good comparison.

Winning a grip contest will NEVER get you 10s of millions in sponsorships.

This is a hobby. A get together. If someone takes this shit life and death serious, then they need some help. Hell yeah, I am serious, and I train hard. But, when it comes down to what is important, a grip contest is low on the totem.

I dont bench press often, maybe once a month, but at least a bench press builds the pec, shoulder, and triceps which, in turn, allow you to open hand shove someone with some force, as well as grab someone out in front of you and move them where you need to. And, a blob lift is a block weight. Block weights build tremendous strength in the hands. This carries over nicely to grabbing arms, legs, or someone's shirt. I just dont see how grasping a 1" bar and moving it 2 inches is going to build usefull strength. I do plenty of work with ropes-so beyond that-where is the carry over?

The pain factor? When I need to experience that, I go to my tattooist and have him ink me up.