Ironmind News.

2strong

I think this topic will definitely break the Gripboard one day record for views and responses!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

I'll say we now have a crowd of 47 - someone call the riot police!

Here is what Randy wrote to me:

Robert,

Thank you!

We really had to wrestle hard with this, but after talking to many name

brand grip guys and reflecting on our years doing this, we felt this was the

right thing to do and that we had no choice.  We knew that not everybody

would applaud this, but even when they write to yell at us, I still thank

them for taking the time to write - it's just a lot easier to do with

someone who supports this revision.

Thanks again for taking the time to write - I really appreciate it.

Best wishes.

Randy Strossen

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

We just SMASHED the online record by a BIG margin. Long live the Gripboard!

yeah, the credit card thing won't work, because of varying handles and varying hand sizes. what should be done is: allow the set to be deep enough for the person to get his pinkey on the handle. that sounds legit. to me!

Yeah, IM definitely does a lot of thinking about credit cards thats for sure. Hey I hope the rule banning attacks on companies is suspended, at least for this one thread anyways...

mobsterone:

"Ok - so like a post some time this week of mine - train to beat the new rules. There might be a certain smug satisfaction from telling Randall 'it don't matter what you do, that gripper is going down! Now hand me the certificate ass wipe!'"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Funniest message I've ever read on this board.

edit:

I should add that when I started reading this thread, I thought that Sybersnott

had brought some age old thread back to life since it had so many replies...

Damn was I wrong

Edited by aatu

If you were Randy what would you have done?

1) Keep the status quo, and make a lot of customers very happy.

or

2) Preserve the integrity of the original challenge but piss off a lot of customers and lose money.

I think he showed a lot of character in changing the rules. He would probably make more money if he made the challenge easier rather than harder. Trainees are buying the #3 and #4 expecting to close them some day, and get their faces in MILO.

I should add that when I started reading this thread, I thought that Sybersnott

had brought some age old thread back to life since it had so many replies...

Damn was I wrong

Honestly.

I thought the rules-as posted-was a well thought out joke.

Really.I thought 2-Strong was kidding around!?!?! :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

While reading it I just couldn't even take it seriously.The rule was THAT far out there and the use of a credit card was,IMO, THAT silly. :laugh:laugh:laugh

i was thinking thats pretty funny 2 strong,my mind started getting into sarcastic mode and:....what about the 'width of a Mars bar instead'or possibly "the width of a small childs shoe"?or,if closing the gripper in California the gripper must not be spread andy further than the gap between Arnolds teeth?

I agree with previous comments that Randy's problem was likely that too many people were getting certified -- making the #3 look like a joke and taking up too much space in MILO. He probably spoke to some early closers like Brookfield and concluded that it's due to deep sets.

It's also obviously not a coincidence that this happened right after Heath closed the 4 but was called on set depth (correct me if that's not what happened).

As for the 3 finger close comments, I believe Magnus slides the 3 fingers to the bottom of the handles to get max leverage. It takes big hands to do that... it's not a technique for small hands.

Edited by suterp

He showed character by changing the rules?

ARE YOU HIGH??????

He could have shown character by keeping the much harder silver crushes from the very begining. Change the rules now, after over 100 are certified, shows nothing but brain damage.

Midget, how many reps can you get on a #3? 5-10? And you will never no-set a #3 with 7 inch hands. How does it feel to know that you are stronger then most of the COCs but you will never be on the list?

Character?

:rolleyes

Rick Walker :rock

That's right Rick - it has nothing to do with character - it's the opposite!

B.

One or two of the replies seem to think some of the 'old CoC' used a set. Most of us didn't. It's mostly the current crop of guys coming from the board who learnt about 'setting'. I closed mine without a set and yes I have large hands and even with a set could use the new rule - no problem.

Let's focus on training the full range.

So you must be close to the #4 still with the new rule right?

I would think that the higher number of #3 closings is proportionate to the number of grippers sold. The more that are out there the more certifications you have to deal with.

Guest gripmaster316

How many posts will this topic get? 200? Until Randy changes the rules? :yikes

I agree, but setting it in also speeds things up. No setting slows things way down. I also notice that Wade has been in this topic for awhile but has not said anything.

Edited by gripmaster316

I think the rule is silly. If he wants the hype to continue he should stop doing offficial certs for the #3 and only do them for #4. That way the real grippahlics (like the people on this board) could keep track on #3 certs (MM for example) and he could have the almost unatainable #4 on www.ironmind.com and everybody would be happy.

The general public who might have heard about the grippers wouldn't know if it was the #3 or #4 they heard about, only that it was a bloddy heavy gripper.

The #3 woudl still be a great feat of strength but it wouldn't be official on the homepage.

As for the 3 finger close comments, I believe Magnus slides the 3 fingers to the bottom of the handles to get max leverage. It takes big hands to do that... it's not a technique for small hands.

My ring finger ia about 1" longer than my pinky, so a three finger close would allow me to no-set a much wider gripper. Part of the loss of strength from taking the pinky off is off-set by giving the stronger three fingers better leverage.

Rick,

In my book choosing integrity over money is a sign of character!

Anyway, which means more: Placing in a grip contest or getting on the increasingly long Coc list? The honor of being a Coc had lost all meaning.

Robert

If you were Randy what would you have done?

1) Keep the status quo, and make a lot of customers very happy.

or

2) Preserve the integrity of the original challenge but piss off a lot of customers and lose money.

I think he showed a lot of character in changing the rules.  He would probably make more money if he made the challenge easier rather than harder.  Trainees are buying the #3 and #4 expecting to close them some day, and get their faces in MILO.

Actually.

IMO-all he had to do was acknowledge that closing a #3 was no longer such a great feat afterall and that athletes or gripsters were getting stronger.He should have taken pride in being part of this occurring.

The #4 was going down also.Do in part to the popularity of the 'sport' or 'hobby'of GRIP.

It should have been an indicator that it was just basically statistics.More people involved- thus more grippers being closed(and of course a big part of that is the gripboard)

As in any other strength or speed related activity?participants were getting stronger.

Did they make sprinters wear Lead boots when they started getting faster?....did they make swimmers wear heavy chains around their ankles as the times were reduced?

After the 4 minute mile? did they limit the strides that runners could take?

Actually these are poor examples but IF i had more time I could think of some other more relevant activities.

i really think it would have been more logical(rational :unsure ) to just make a tougher gripper(#5)raise the bar by setting a more difficult goal....... :whistel

Keep the rules the same and not dishonor those that have closed the #3 and the #4 under the old rules????

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I think the rule is silly. If he wants the hype to continue he should stop doing offficial certs for the #3 and only do them for #4. That way the real grippahlics (like the people on this board) could keep track on #3 certs (MM for example) and he could have the almost unatainable #4 on www.ironmind.com and everybody would be happy.

The general public who might have heard about the grippers wouldn't know if it was the #3 or #4 they heard about, only that it was a bloddy heavy gripper.

The #3 woudl still be a great feat of strength but it wouldn't be official on the homepage.

There's no need to go that far. A no set with a #3 (or a close of a #3 with this new process) is harder than the 1", no pause technique, but nothing compared to a #4.

I think there are probably more people on the #3 list than one might originally think that can do this. I'll try it tonight, but I'll be surprised if I cannot do it. I do feel for the guys will small hands though.

There's no need to go that far. A no set with a #3 (or a close of a #3 with this new process) is harder than the 1", no pause technique, but nothing compared to a #4.

I think there are probably more people on the #3 list than one might originally think that can do this. I'll try it tonight, but I'll be surprised if I cannot do it. I do feel for the guys will small hands though.

If Strossen feels the need for some evoultion in the certification this would be the only way to not dishonering the #3 certs and up the ante so to speak.

To have two lists of #3 certs would only confuse, and to have one list with 2 different rules governing the different certs would confuse even more.