Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

3 minutes ago, stranger said:

Those are nice looking reps. Also, you had 25 if you wanted it. 

I was actually thinking about going through this log to see if that 24 was the most I have done so far I think it might be 

• Like 1

Very cool seeing you rep the #2.5 like that. 

Question for you... When you are hitting the hg300 for 10 reps to start your workout, how close to failure is that for you?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rphilton said:

Very cool seeing you rep the #2.5 like that. 

Question for you... When you are hitting the hg300 for 10 reps to start your workout, how close to failure is that for you?

It’s right up there some days I miss the 10th. I am capping it at 10 reps though so hopefully in time it will feel easier any leave more in the tank for the following sets.

• Like 1

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 4 reps 330lbs 

deficit deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 380lbs

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

It’s right up there some days I miss the 10th. I am capping it at 10 reps though so hopefully in time it will feel easier any leave more in the tank for the following sets.

I'd love to see you attempt an HG350, you must be close if not already there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I'd love to see you attempt an HG350, you must be close if not already there!

I don’t know I think the hg350 usually rate really high would like to try though.

12 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I've followed your log on and off and noticed a lot of folks mentioning that the volume you use is atypical. However, I think that's what has contributed to your steady progress. I intend to use something similar to get me over the COC certification hump. It appears I'm trailing your progress about 9 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rphilton said:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I've followed your log on and off and noticed a lot of folks mentioning that the volume you use is atypical. However, I think that's what has contributed to your steady progress. I intend to use something similar to get me over the COC certification hump. It appears I'm trailing your progress about 9 months.

Nice good luck. I am really hoping to cert somewhat soon.

• Like 1

Today’s training

OHP 3 sets 6 reps 127.5lbs

swiss bar against bands 4 sets 6 reps 170lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 8 reps 95lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 8 reps 92.5lbs

DB curls 3 sets 8 reps 47.5lbs

the flask 3 sets 7 reps 155lbs

• Like 4

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 4 reps 420lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 6 reps 265lbs

• Like 1

Today’s training

low incline bench 4 sets 6 reps 215lbs

swiss bar rows 4 sets 10 reps 180lbs

chin ups 3 sets 6 reps 65lbs 

DB hammer curls 3 sets 8 reps 45lbs

face pulls 3 sets 10 reps 160lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 6 reps 140lbs + handle and pin 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training

low incline bench 4 sets 6 reps 215lbs

swiss bar rows 4 sets 10 reps 180lbs

chin ups 3 sets 6 reps 65lbs 

DB hammer curls 3 sets 8 reps 45lbs

face pulls 3 sets 10 reps 160lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 6 reps 140lbs + handle and pin 

Very strong incline benching, the low incline has good carryover to flat for some lifters. 

Your RT is impressive, getting closer to the almighty 200lb crushed to dust! Do you use chalk on the RT?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very strong incline benching, the low incline has good carryover to flat for some lifters. 

Your RT is impressive, getting closer to the almighty 200lb crushed to dust! Do you use chalk on the RT?

Thanks. Just started doing the low incline and I really like it. I feel like it will have good carry over. 
My best rolling thunder is only 150 + handle and pin so when I get down to singles it’s still way off 200. I haven’t really trained it consistently so hopefully I can bring that up. I use chalk on my rolling thunder and it had a decent layer of chalk kind of stuck to it now so that I’m sure is making it a little easier. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks. Just started doing the low incline and I really like it. I feel like it will have good carry over. 
My best rolling thunder is only 150 + handle and pin so when I get down to singles it’s still way off 200. I haven’t really trained it consistently so hopefully I can bring that up. I use chalk on my rolling thunder and it had a decent layer of chalk kind of stuck to it now so that I’m sure is making it a little easier. 

That's a solid lift you may be good for 160lbs+. I find high reps on a rolling thunder make figuring out a 1rm more challenging than squats or bench for example. You should give some thumbless rolling thunder lifts a try sometime, they're a great variation with carryover to the regular grip. I find it makes your fingers and wrist work harder to stabilize the weight & handle. Might be decent for hypertrophy purposes also. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

That's a solid lift you may be good for 160lbs+. I find high reps on a rolling thunder make figuring out a 1rm more challenging than squats or bench for example. You should give some thumbless rolling thunder lifts a try sometime, they're a great variation with carryover to the regular grip. I find it makes your fingers and wrist work harder to stabilize the weight & handle. Might be decent for hypertrophy purposes also. 

Yeah the rolling thunder is a weird one. I will be able to do reps with a weight add 2.5lbs and fail for a single 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah the rolling thunder is a weird one. I will be able to do reps with a weight add 2.5lbs and fail for a single 

I'm the same way lol

• Like 2

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 4 reps left 

Ghp7 block set 3 reps right ghp7 mms failed left

coc 3 ccs missed less than a mm right hg300 2 reps left 

cobalt missed less than a mm right hg300 1 rep left 

ghp7 mms 3 reps right hg300 1 rep left

hg300 9 reps right coc 2.5 10 reps left 

Coc 2.5 24 reps right 10 reps left

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 5

More stuff today 

low pin press 4 sets 3 rep 245lbs 1 set 5 rep 245lbs

DB row 4 sets 8 reps 105lbs

Wide grip pull up 3 sets 5 reps 47.5lbs

swiss bar OHP 3 sets 5 reps 117.5lbs 

EZ bar curls 3 sets 6 reps 105lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 8 reps 130lbs

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 4 reps left 

Ghp7 block set 3 reps right ghp7 mms failed right 

coc 3 ccs missed less than a mm right hg300 2 reps left 

cobalt missed less than a mm right hg300 1 rep left 

ghp7 mms 3 reps right hg300 1 rep left

hg300 9 reps right coc 2.5 10 reps left 

Coc 2.5 24 reps right 10 reps left

Strong gripper work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today’s training 

squat 2 sets 3 reps 345lbs 2 sets 3 reps 335lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 4 reps 395lbs 

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

Blue fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 245lbs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

squat 2 sets 3 reps 345lbs 2 sets 3 reps 335lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 4 reps 395lbs 

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

Blue fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 245lbs

Great session and nice work on the blue fat gripz. I find the blues are way harder than a 2" axle or silicone grips. Don't even get me started on the extreme's haha might as well be doing pinch training it opens the hands up so much. More experienced guys on the gripboard have said the discrepancies can be attributed to hand size and I've ancedotally found this to be 100% accurate. Almost like the moment you even add a milimeter sh*t changes fast! I'd be curious to see how you fair on a 2" bar. Also how big are your hands?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Great session and nice work on the blue fat gripz. I find the blues are way harder than a 2" axle or silicone grips. Don't even get me started on the extreme's haha might as well be doing pinch training it opens the hands up so much. More experienced guys on the gripboard have said the discrepancies can be attributed to hand size and I've ancedotally found this to be 100% accurate. Almost like the moment you even add a milimeter sh*t changes fast! I'd be curious to see how you fair on a 2" bar. Also how big are your hands?

Yeah the fat gripz on the bar are wide much more than 2” 

I think my hands are 8” long 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I think my hands are 8” long 

That’s actually pretty decent for 6ft. I’m also provably exactly 6ft tall but my hands measure a bit over 7.6 inches, probably due to my somewhat shorter fingers. It’s interesting to see how different we all grow and develop with training, everyone’s hand is slightly different :) 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

That’s actually pretty decent for 6ft. I’m also provably exactly 6ft tall but my hands measure a bit over 7.6 inches, probably due to my somewhat shorter fingers. It’s interesting to see how different we all grow and develop with training, everyone’s hand is slightly different :) 

Yeah. I could be a little under 8 too hard to say where your wrist ends and hand starts. Right around 8 for sure though. 

• Like 2