hg300 9 reps right 4 reps left 

Ghp7 3 reps right failed left 

ghp8 attempt right ghp7 failed left 

coc 3 ccs failed right hg300 2 reps left 

Ghp7 2 reps right hg300 1 rep right 

hg300 6 reps right 2 reps left 

coc 2.5 every rep ccs 10 reps right 3 reps left 

coc 2 22 reps right 12 reps left 

Nice work with those high reps! Especially after those heavy attempts you did before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey man, i was just reading some old threads on here about GHPs and after watching some videos of GHP closes ive realised on my recent GHP 5 close i had the gripper the wrong way around, i had the finger placement rings in my palm rather than the fingers. I only just realised,  Do you find it makes any difference?

I know on COC people look for the dogleg side. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Hey man, i was just reading some old threads on here about GHPs and after watching some videos of GHP closes ive realised on my recent GHP 5 close i had the gripper the wrong way around, i had the finger placement rings in my palm rather than the fingers. I only just realised,  Do you find it makes any difference?

I know on COC people look for the dogleg side. 

I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I have never tried. I always put the finger rings on the finger side. If it does make any difference I don’t think it would be very much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I have never tried. I always put the finger rings on the finger side. If it does make any difference I don’t think it would be very much.

Cool, thanks man. I knew you have Ghps, so Thanks for your thoughts. Ill try the correct way next time.

• Like 1

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 3 reps right missed a 4th by 1mm 1 rep left 

ghp8 failed right ghp7 failed left 

Coc 3 ccs really  close right hg300 2 reps left 

Ghp7  1 rep right hh300 1 rep left 

hg300 6 reps right 1 rep left 

coc 2.5 22 reps right 10 reps left 

Coc 2 28 reps right 20 reps left 

• Like 3

More training today

bench press 4 sets 5 reps 230lbs

DB row 4 sets 12 reps 95lbs

Lever arm OHP 3 sets 8 reps 102.5lbs

Pull up 3 sets 7 reps 42.5lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 95lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 reps 110lbs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 3 reps right missed a 4th by 1mm 1 rep left 

ghp8 failed right ghp7 failed left 

Coc 3 ccs really  close right hg300 2 reps left 

Ghp7  1 rep right hh300 1 rep left 

hg300 6 reps right 1 rep left 

coc 2.5 22 reps right 10 reps left 

Coc 2 28 reps right 20 reps left 

Very strong workout. The volume you do is pretty high on grippers for being so strong. How often do you do this workout? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Very strong workout. The volume you do is pretty high on grippers for being so strong. How often do you do this workout? 

Thanks man. I do grippers once a week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. I do grippers once a week.

No probs, you were so close on that 4th rep of the GHP 7. Id hope to be on your level one day. 

Many do grippers once per week, im planning on doing this myself even thiugh they are addictive. I dont know grip mutants like nathan holle can train heavy on them 3 times per week. My hands would be fried.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

No probs, you were so close on that 4th rep of the GHP 7. Id hope to be on your level one day. 

Many do grippers once per week, im planning on doing this myself even thiugh they are addictive. I dont know grip mutants like nathan holle can train heavy on them 3 times per week. My hands would be fried.

Thanks again. Yeah really wanted that 4th rep on the ghp7 and the ccs on the 3 hopefully soon. I find I just do worse on grippers if I work them more than once a week I was doing twice a week for a while though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks again. Yeah really wanted that 4th rep on the ghp7 and the ccs on the 3 hopefully soon. I find I just do worse on grippers if I work them more than once a week I was doing twice a week for a while though. 

You will get it soon no doubt. In the past ive found the same. Twice per week is too much. Its hard to balance everything to keep progressing sometimes. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Amen to that! How guys like Nathan can do them 3x a week and progress is baffling. Even the volume you do Nuttgens is crazy, like Mcalpine said given how strong you are on crush strength. What I don't like about grippers is I find the moment I overtrain them in comes the tendonitis. If it helps either of you I've been using the RB adjustable gripper and so far it feels like its nowhere near as fatiguing as a torsion spring gripper. The con however is I'm not sure how great the carryover could be. I will say the sweep is harder though as other gripsters have stated before me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Amen to that! How guys like Nathan can do them 3x a week and progress is baffling. Even the volume you do Nuttgens is crazy, like Mcalpine said given how strong you are on crush strength. What I don't like about grippers is I find the moment I overtrain them in comes the tendonitis. If it helps either of you I've been using the RB adjustable gripper and so far it feels like its nowhere near as fatiguing as a torsion spring gripper. The con however is I'm not sure how great the carryover could be. I will say the sweep is harder though as other gripsters have stated before me. 

I don’t get any pain from grippers just find that I am weak when doing it more often nothing hurts though. I’m not even sure if once a week is better for me. I can go heavier every session with once a week but who knows maybe doing twice a week and having to go lighter because of fatigue then kinda peaking for a max attempt could work too. I just don’t like having to go lighter when I’m not recovered haha. And really close to consistently closing my #3 from a ccs and really want to get a good close on video so for now I won’t change anything up. 

what’s the crazy part with my volume the number of reps on some sets or the number of sets I do? Im guessing the high rep sets? I know I don’t see many people do them. Probably because they are not needed haha I dunno i like it and it feels easier than a heavy attempt like a ghp8 or coc 3.5. 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 5 reps 315lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 335pbs

DB split squat 3 sets 15 reps 45lbs 

Ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I don’t get any pain from grippers just find that I am weak when doing it more often nothing hurts though. I’m not even sure if once a week is better for me. I can go heavier every session with once a week but who knows maybe doing twice a week and having to go lighter because of fatigue then kinda peaking for a max attempt could work too. I just don’t like having to go lighter when I’m not recovered haha. And really close to consistently closing my #3 from a ccs and really want to get a good close on video so for now I won’t change anything up. 

what’s the crazy part with my volume the number of reps on some sets or the number of sets I do? Im guessing the high rep sets? I know I don’t see many people do them. Probably because they are not needed haha I dunno i like it and it feels easier than a heavy attempt like a ghp8 or coc 3.5. 

Ultimately just do what works for you. You're making great progress, and if you're intune with your body just keep listening to that and do what works for you. I come from a powerlifting background where some people squat once a week and break records while others work up to a daily max and break records. Slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibers along with a million other factors(age, weight, diet, leverages, occupation, injuries, commitments and many more) effect how we train. 

Just to be clear your training makes sense, I'm rooting for you to get on that GHP & COC cert lists! I'm more in awe as I'm sure several others are on the gripboard at the general strength workouts you do(squat, ohp, deads ect) combined with the gripper workouts. Not saying its bad actually the opposite I'm in awe haha. I know my body would regress if I tried to do the amount of powerlifting type volume you do and gripper work. One example is your last gripper work, here is an excert..."coc 2 28reps right 20 left".....I'm reading that like wtf haha and that's your last work set lol not counting everything else you did. Ugh my elbows would make me pay and/or knuckles. For me I mostly prefer singles on torsion spring grippers because I find it's the most technical aspect of grip sport and I need to keep improving my set and execution. By breaking it up into singles I get more practice and can stay in a higher weight/rgc threshold and get meaningfull volume in as opposed to going light and doing alot of reps. Oddly for thickbar its actually working in the medium ish range that seems to carryover better. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Ultimately just do what works for you. You're making great progress, and if you're intune with your body just keep listening to that and do what works for you. I come from a powerlifting background where some people squat once a week and break records while others work up to a daily max and break records. Slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibers along with a million other factors(age, weight, diet, leverages, occupation, injuries, commitments and many more) effect how we train. 

Just to be clear your training makes sense, I'm rooting for you to get on that GHP & COC cert lists! I'm more in awe as I'm sure several others are on the gripboard at the general strength workouts you do(squat, ohp, deads ect) combined with the gripper workouts. Not saying its bad actually the opposite I'm in awe haha. I know my body would regress if I tried to do the amount of powerlifting type volume you do and gripper work. One example is your last gripper work, here is an excert..."coc 2 28reps right 20 left".....I'm reading that like wtf haha and that's your last work set lol not counting everything else you did. Ugh my elbows would make me pay and/or knuckles. For me I mostly prefer singles on torsion spring grippers because I find it's the most technical aspect of grip sport and I need to keep improving my set and execution. By breaking it up into singles I get more practice and can stay in a higher weight/rgc threshold and get meaningfull volume in as opposed to going light and doing alot of reps. Oddly for thickbar its actually working in the medium ish range that seems to carryover better. 

Haha thanks man. Yeah I guess I’m doing quite a bit just in general but so far still making progress so I’ll leave everything as is for now. I actually do my gripper sets between sets of bench and rows And pull ups and stuff probably not ideal but it gets hard to fit all that stuff in with working 50-60 hours a week and commuting. 

• Like 1

Today’s training

OHP 3 sets 8 reps 115lbs

close grip bench 4 sets 8 reps 200lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps 85lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 12 reps 80lbs

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 37.5lbs

• Like 2

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 5 reps 400lbs

SSB squats 3 sets 8 reps 245lbs

GHR 3 sets 10 reps 

Ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 3

Today’s training 

hg300 9 reps right 2 reps left 

Ghp7 2 reps right failed left 

Coc 3 ccs missed by a hair right hg300 2 reps left 

ghp7 1 rep right hg300 2 reps left 

Hg300 6 reps right 2 reps left 

coc 2.5 20 reps right 10 reps left 

• Like 2

More training today 

bench press 4 sets 4 reps 240lbs

DB row 3 sets 10 reps 100lbs

lever OHP 3 sets 6 reps 110lbs

pull up 2 sets 6 reps 47.5lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 10 reps 120lbs

EZ bar curls 3 set 10 reps 100lbs

• Like 2

Amazing how different we all are.  My max crush on a gripper is very similar to yours, but I can't do anywhere near what you do on bench/squat/deadlift, and I am not sure I could do the volume you do on grippers either, although I admit I have never done any gripper for more than 6 or 7 reps, other than warming up on easy ones.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Amazing how different we all are.  My max crush on a gripper is very similar to yours, but I can't do anywhere near what you do on bench/squat/deadlift, and I am not sure I could do the volume you do on grippers either, although I admit I have never done any gripper for more than 6 or 7 reps, other than warming up on easy ones.

Yeah everyone is different. I am sure I have spent much more time on the bench, squat and deadlift than you though. And for some reason high volume on grippers for me has been way easier than high intensity stuff like singles. I think i just have decent endurance from working.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah everyone is different. I am sure I have spent much more time on the bench, squat and deadlift than you though. And for some reason high volume on grippers for me has been way easier than high intensity stuff like singles. I think i just have decent endurance from working.

Couldn’t agree more! I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum, staying in the low reps helps me progress the most (I also have very little endurance in the high reps). It’s super important to find what suits you best, doesn’t have to be what works for everyone for sure :) 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Couldn’t agree more! I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum, staying in the low reps helps me progress the most (I also have very little endurance in the high reps). It’s super important to find what suits you best, doesn’t have to be what works for everyone for sure :) 

That seems to be what works best for most people on GripBoard. 

• Like 2