Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Nice close bud. Looks like you are getting ready to cert soon 

Needless to say I had a good grip sesh today

Started off with heavy squats to test a new 1RM, hit a comfortable but heavy 365, a PR of quite a bit... never tested before my knee tendinitis slowed me down but I believe I was in the 345 range prior. Followed up with a tough set of 335x5, then 5 paused singles of 275 in the front squat.

All the while hitting the groove on grippers, PR left hand 5 reps CCS on the 125 2.5, right hand worked up to a film PR 3 CCS... I've ccsed this gripper in the past but its been nearly 2 years and I have never duplicated the close - until today. Went for the GHP cert and got it - only to find my phone storage hit max and it cut the video... sucks lol.. maybe i'll hold off for two reps

RT left, to 191, 196 a healthy hop... 200 within reach! right hand hit a comfortable 216, went for 221 (that magical 100kg!) and got a good pull but I don't feel like I held it high enough at the top. 

finished with another minute 2hp, 15 minutes total now

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nice close bud. Looks like you are getting ready to cert soon 

yessir, going to need more work, this gripper rates 149 - far from a heavy one... i'd like to hit at least doubles, maybe triples before I am ready... I have a 160 but I am not at that level yet.

• Like 2

Today long day at the range

Afternoon HIT session

Clean and jerk 185 + 60meter sprint + 6 reverse back extensions + 30 second rest / 8 rounds without stopping

Tuesday did interval sprints

Wednesday 10x snatches at 145 and 5x snatch high pulls with 235

Thurs clean and push presses to 195, weighted back extensions... then afternoon combatives session (35 min warmup and 15 mins straight grappling) before session also got 30 seconds of holds with 300 axle thumbless, this time pulled from the floor... best go was 12 second, after combatives I finished the last 30 seconds .... soo 4 minutes total now

Friday core workout and slow exaggerated good mornings.. strict axle curls with 113, 2x8 and 25lb plate rear flyes-- also did some ext bucket work not sure of total weight but up to 18 lbs in dumbells in the cheeseball container... plus a dozen or two bent 60d nails, a lock, a couple barbell collars and a few other random items.. i'd estimate around 25lbs... anyway ... got a five second hold left and 3 second right.. both PRs as I've been struggling with extensor work... minus five pounds got 26 seconds/23 seconds

totals: 2hp 15m/axle 4 min

Edited by jvance

Today still bumming the left knee but it is feeling much better... didn't want to push it and squat heavy yet

Snatches to 145, 8 singles

In between gripper session.. Forward and Onward today a bit more time between reps but managed solid consecutive rep PRs: 

Left CoC 2.5 CCS - 7 reps

Right GHP 6 CCS - 10 reps 

Again a bit more time between reps, but a big increase in rep volume - up 3 reps left, and 5 reps right 

2nd set barely managed 5 reps left, and right did the Super Master for 7 TNS reps

Did more volume work with the 64kg inch, left about 20 reps, singles and 2-3 second holds, right same volume, but 5 second holds very strict 

1 min each 40lb blob holds ... i'll tally numbers at some point with the 64inch/40blob

• Like 2

Trained throughout week but only one grip session. Wednesday struggled thru 1min 2hp, 3ish second holds so tough going... thumb webbing tore even tho I use leather protectors. 

Squats.... touggghh set of 315x10... immediately felt soreness/tightness in groin muscles/hamstrings... so none more

Gripper CCS singles up to 136 left, nearly a double, right hand another 149 #3 CCS - happy to get another close on this gripper

Then 2 sets of five, left hand with a 125, right hand with a 136.. a few seconds between reps, resetting the gripper each rep

Finisher double TNS x 10, left hand 108/right hand 125, about 10 seconds between reps

was gonna get another minute on 2hp but thumb webbing had other plans - even with the thumb protectors the skin has a weak spot that breaks open ... only got 30 seconds - 16.5 minutes

did some lifts with the 64kg inch, got a 10 second hold right, 2 second left.. about 10 total lifts

• Like 2

Yesterday up to 140 snatch for 6 singles

paused front squat to 275, five singles

14000 plus steps

Today another min of axle holds, first 30 seconds thumbless 5/9/9/7 then 13/9/7/8 with thumbs to put me over the minute

5 mins total axle holds

back squats up to 335x5 for 3 sets... first two scary heavy... last one turned up the music and got fired up and it was easier

in between,  double TNS grippers (harder than one at a time) left hand GHP 5, right hand 2.5 (108/125) 3 sets of ten... timed the sets this time 2:15/2:45/4:15

obviously the last set got tough real quick so I spaced the reps out farther and gutted it out... left hand struggled more even with a much lighter gripper

front rack holds no hands... 5 sets of ten seconds with 285

64kg inch holds strict, 3 seconds was the best left hand/10 seconds right 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jvance said:

back squats up to 335x5 for 3 sets... first two scary heavy... last one turned up the music and got fired up and it was easier

in between,  double TNS grippers (harder than one at a time) left hand GHP 5, right hand 2.5 (108/125) 3 sets of ten... timed the sets this time 2:15/2:45/4:15

obviously the last set got tough real quick so I spaced the reps out farther and gutted it out... left hand struggled more even with a much lighter gripper

front rack holds no hands... 5 sets of ten seconds with 285

64kg inch holds strict, 3 seconds was the best left hand/10 seconds right 

Very nice, I neglected the TNS for a while and I loose the technique very soon. Started today with CCS work also in more volume, it's just a with running, first few times you think dammit but then it soon comes back. Very good workout you got there, I copied a bit from your setup today, as I was experimenting where I focus at in grippertraining. 

No worries man, I like my current system because it is measurable with a goal of progressive overload and supercompensation. I am having success as I've finally figured out rest periods and appropriate training volume.

• Like 1

Snatch high pulls 155x5 four sets

Good mornings 165x8

Back extension with weighted bar (100), 2x10

Dumbbell BP, to 90x4... should've gotten more but pecs are still sore from dips a few days ago so I backed off

Reverse ez bar curls, 110x5 PR, 90x10

Light day 

Mile run 7:33 in the rain.. fun.. legs felt like they were made of lead

Would like very much to squat 405 and run 1.5 mile in under 10 min before the year is out.. gotta have goals

Mile walk before lunch

2 min axle hold work, first min all thumbless... thought I would go for 3 min but the hands were shot after 2

20 min grappling session after work... smoked

cold bath and hot shower later, feeling better

• Like 1

today did clean and jerk to 165x10 in just under 5 min, tough cardio on the last 5

clean high pull deadlifts, 255x2 for 2 sets and 285 x 2 for 3 sets

30 seconds 2hp holds... damn thumb webbing tore again same spot... even with DH thumb protectors... wanted a minute.. oh well

Totals, 7 min axle 15.5 mins 2hp

circuit

50 yd dash

10 box jumps to f150 tailgate

8 dips

10 strict presses with 40 lb dumbbell

7x db hammer curls 

10 reverse back extensions

5 rounds 30 seconds between sets

Back squats up to 335x6 then 345x3

Decent grip session 

Left hand attempted 136 CCS, going for the double again, nearly got it but not quite there

Right hand up to the GHP7 with the cert block (I'll submit the video)

Then left hand CCS 125, first set 5 reps, second barely five with a bit of rest after the 4th.. right hand 136 for five, then struggled to get four

Did a video for Josh Henze's challenge... smoked the hands for anything else except blob work.. 40 lb, min left, min + extra right (video forthcoming)

Mile run 6:47

• Like 2

Yesterday, quick session, stair sprints/15 pushups for 10 rounds, done in 5 minutes

tomorrow night grip

Today fast paced workout, after a long day tearing through the woods in a Polaris RZR 850 :grin: 

10 min warmup, started session at 1800 sharp, 10 reps clean and jerk at 165 in 4:33, then two more in just under 6 min... pretty tired at that point. 

Then 3x10 reverse back extensions, finished at 1810

Watered up and hit the road for a mile run in 7:18

Completely done and warming down by 1820

• Like 1

More 4 wheeling training... I love my job

Tonight, front squats and grip

warmed up to 285 for paused front squats and did that between timed holds on the 2hp

thumb protectors on and the thumb healed up.. did a paused FS for every pinch attempt, so 7 front squats for a minute of 2hp at the usual 163 - paying the price for shorter holds! 

Then thumbless holds IM axle with bumpers (lotta roll), did 13 attempts to get to 18 seconds, best hold was 3 seconds... then regular DO holds 6/6/7/12/9/5

8 min axle/16.5 min 2hp

• Like 1

Today squats and grippers once again

backsquats to 325x8

Grippers, tried minute double with the 3 and got very close

singles, 3 each... left 136, right 149 all CCS, then double TNS ghp5/2.5, 10 reps in 3 minutes

30 2hp

1:30 axle at 300 did both of these in 32 minutes so compressed with higher intensity - shorter rest

17 min 2hp, 9.5 min axle 

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

After an off week

back to work, clean and jerk sets of 10 at 165 per usual

3:45/3:58 then after a longer rest a 3:28 PR, total time 23:28

91 degrees in garage

some grease the groove gripper closes for tomorrow's session.. felt decent

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1