Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Hey man, thanks for the hub comment! I wish you were there, the hubbing tips Zach gave me were great.

Pending my hub's arrival, I will do a video for matrixsleeper on the tips he showed me. I'll send it to you too.

Answering your question, I couldn't pinch 35s yet.

Tried pinching 25s and they went up easy. Then I tried 4-10s and got that too.. Only thing I couldn't get was 5-10s, but it felt like the plates were very uneven when I tried, resulting in a big flare and all the middle plates dropping. Maybe it's just my lack of strength though, because one guy at the comp did the 5-10s just the way they were.

Hey man, thanks for the hub comment! I wish you were there, the hubbing tips Zach gave me were great.

Pending my hub's arrival, I will do a video for matrixsleeper on the tips he showed me. I'll send it to you too.

Answering your question, I couldn't pinch 35s yet.

Tried pinching 25s and they went up easy. Then I tried 4-10s and got that too.. Only thing I couldn't get was 5-10s, but it felt like the plates were very uneven when I tried, resulting in a big flare and all the middle plates dropping. Maybe it's just my lack of strength though, because one guy at the comp did the 5-10s just the way they were.

Yeah that video would be AWESOME! My hub numbers suck right now, then again I only trained it for a very short stint.

That's still sick pinching... it took me 2-3 months to get four 10s.

What are you hubbing nowadays?

Also, the plate pinching confuses me. What are the progressions?

I'm thinking something like:

3-10

2-25

4-10

5-10

2-35

6-10

2-45

Can anybody confirm or give input?

3-10

2-25

4-10

5-10

2-35

6-10

2-45

Last time that I maxed a hub lift it was around 30-35lbs. I don't have my record book so just going by memory. I don't really train hub.

Though all of those are good goals to shoot for, I don't think that pinching in those progressions are going to be as straight forward as that list because the width of the pinch is going to vary drastically. If you're training for a specific pinch lift then you will need to train at the specific width.

Edited by hellswindstaff

3/18/13 Starting Strength W3D1: Squat and DL

Went to the gym with a friend who has recently been into bodybuilding and has gained some 20+lbs over the last 3 months.

We weren't doing the same work, but were just there to spot each other if needed.

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 120x2

Working: 145x4(needed help), 140x5(dropped 5lbs), 140x5(needed help)

Press

Wanted to find my max. 45x5, 65x3, 85x1(found my max)

Deadlift

Warm up: 135x5, 135x5, 161x5, 186x3, 231x2 was SUPPOSED to do 211x2 now, but counted weight wrong.

Working: 236x2(burnt out), 206x2(no longer a productive work out, quit.)

Note: tried increasing my squat by 10#s, but either was not strong enough to do such a jump this time, or didn't rest enough between sets. My deadlift sucked. The weight change I screwed up destroyed my whole workout. I hate working out at the school gym because all the idiots try to rush you. I'll redo this workout next week.

Another note: My friend looked pretty big, but none of the weights he was pushing were even half reps. He did some bench, incline, and decline, with about 275#s or so, but was only going a quarter rep for all of them. And that's me giving extra credit to his ROM.

Edited by TentacleGrip

THREW OUT MY BACK

What the hell?

While doing laundry last night, I lifted a basket of clothes probably weighing less than 25#s, and felt a weird sensation in my lower back and couldn't straighten it out.

It felt like I needed to pop a bone at the L5-S1 level, combined with a soreness most likely from the previous workout.

It had me unable to extend my back in a straight shape at certain angles.

I was lifting the basket exactly like I would deadlift a heavy weight, but it ended up throwing it. I'm 21, and this shouldn't be happening.

Wanted to go to the gym today so did some quick stretching and bends with light weight, then lay down and warmed the area and massaged.

Didn't help much.

I'm able to do everyday tasks, but with some pain. Hope this will heal in the next day and that I'm able to get back to deadlifting on monday.

3-10

2-25

4-10

5-10

2-35

6-10

2-45

First, before I give my two cents about a pinch progression list, I'm very sorry to hear about your back. I've been fortunate to have avoided even a moderately serious back injury over the last 30+ years of deadlifting. But I have had my share of weird "tweaky" feelings in my lower back from time to time. Every once in a great while, the day after deadlifting, I'll do something similar to picking up a laundry basket, such as simply bending over to grab something on the floor, and before I even start to pull I'll feel a sudden, sharp pain telling me that something is out of position. But so far, it's never amounted to anything, and within a minute I'm feeling back to normal. I've also had aches in my back coupled with nerve pain in my hips and hamstrings and decided to deadlift anyways. Almost without fail, the deadlifts cured the pain. It's as if pulling on the heavy weight realigned everything. But I'm not suggesting you do the same! Lol. It's just an anecdotal story, certainly not a "one size fits all strategy for curing back pain". Maybe the lesson could be: take heart and don't get discouraged, it's just part of the journey.

The order of feats in the pinch list will shift based on one's hand size and thin-versus-thick pinch strengths. I've done two 45s, but am a ways off from six 10s, but for a larger handed individual the opposite could very well be the case. But for the average guy I think the list might look like this:

3-10

maybe 2-25

4-10

2-35

5-10

2-45

6-10

Not real sure on the 25s versus the four 10s. They're pretty close. I have average hands (7.75"), and that's how it worked out for me, anyways.

Thanks guys, I'll wait it out and see if my back is feeling better. I'll probably have to deload next week for my squats and deads too.

I was a bit frustrated about my workout going sour and by back giving, but that's fine now and I'll just focus on what I can do to improve.

Thanks for your input, Eric. 2-35s, here I come!

Thanks guys, I'll wait it out and see if my back is feeling better. I'll probably have to deload next week for my squats and deads too.

I was a bit frustrated about my workout going sour and by back giving, but that's fine now and I'll just focus on what I can do to improve.

Do you sit quite a bit? Your hip flexors may be overly tight.

Tractioning the back helps, just hang from a pull up bar and get loose. It will traction the spinal column and aid in recovery... obviously if it hurts then don't do it! You also need blood to recovery, find something that doesn't hurt and do that... even if it's just as simple as going on walks. Don't take this set back lying down... the break from training that you mentioned is probably a good idea.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Though, I have had some non-chronic pain at times... I am lucky enough to not have any serious injuries. What I have found to be most effective at preventing it overall is solid programming and systematic deloads. So my body has a chance to repair itself and regenerate itself from the recovery deficit that it's put under from training. Just a thought.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Do you sit quite a bit? Your hip flexors may be overly tight.

Tractioning the back helps, just hang from a pull up bar and get loose. It will traction the spinal column and aid in recovery... obviously if it hurts then don't do it! You also need blood to recovery, find something that doesn't hurt and do that... even if it's just as simple as going on walks. Don't take this set back lying down... the break from training that you mentioned is probably a good idea.

Thanks for the concern, I don't sit that much but my hip flexors were probably tight from squatting, then my back was overworked from disporportionately heavy DLs when the hips were dead. This probably just manifested into my back being thrown the next day.

Tonight, Starting Strength W3D3: Weighted Pull Ups

Back feels better, 90% ready for heavy Deadlifts again. I'll be more careful this time.

Pull Ups

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, +15x5, +25x3, +40x2

Working: +50x5, +50x5, +50x5

Note: May start microloading next week, the three sets at +50 felt maximal.

A guy at the gym today saw me standing with the weight on my belt and asked me what muscles that works. I told him I'll be doing pull ups with them, and he looked shocked. Props to him for bringing his whole family to the gym though, including 2 babies. They make great weights.

By the way, Eric, do people pinch 3-25s?

Where would that fit on the list?

Oh, yeah, we forgot about that one. It's probably just before or just after two 45s, depending on the texture of the plates in question. A couple of guys can even do three 35s.

Tonight, Starting Strength W3D3: Weighted Pull Ups

Back feels better, 90% ready for heavy Deadlifts again. I'll be more careful this time.

Pull Ups

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, +15x5, +25x3, +40x2

Working: +50x5, +50x5, +50x5

Note: May start microloading next week, the three sets at +50 felt maximal.

A guy at the gym today saw me standing with the weight on my belt and asked me what muscles that works. I told him I'll be doing pull ups with them, and he looked shocked. Props to him for bringing his whole family to the gym though, including 2 babies. They make great weights.

LOL! At the last two sentences. Have you seen the crossfit videos of women doing front squats with their babies still in a sling!??! Terrible!

Thanks bro, unfortunately I'm not feeling too hot at all, my back pain has come back after trying to squat on monday.

That same day I was rear-ended by a truck while in my friend's car, causing me some minor whiplash. It's left my neck sore.

I'm considering taking 3 weeks off of any heavy spinal loading exercises and subtituting some lighter front squats in place of heavy back squats.

I'll have to play it out by ear, but grip work is something I can still work on. I think I'll start KTA early so I'm still making progress.

Oh wow... that really sucks. Something like really like easy high rep swings will help pump it with blood, if it doesn't hurt to do so... like 20lbs. Also you may want to look into spinal traction, you can easily just hang from a pull up bar.

I've tried hanging from a bar like you've said. It provides a good stretch.

After talking to a power lifter that I pull with, he told me I have too much spinal torque going on when I DL because of uneven limbs. I got a height insole to wear in one shoe so my pelvis is less tilted next time I DL. Hope this will help.

Yes. It shows at my pelvic level, and my left hand is a quarter inch bigger than my right.

90% of people have their left side a bit bigger, but it shows a little bit now prominently in me.

3/25, Starting Strength W4D1: Squats and Press

Had a second accident this day. Friend's car got rear-ended by truck and I got whiplash. Resulted in a sore neck.

Went in with what I thought was a better back, but after squatting my warm-up weights, I realized that I had to back off and rest more.

Experimented with the press instead of Deadlifting.

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 115x2

Working: Could not perform 140x3x5

Bent Press

Oly bar 45x1 each arm. Struggled.

Press

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 50x5, 55x3, 60x2

Working: 70x5, 70x1

Burnt out.