Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

Just tried the #2.5 and still couldn't move it past parallel that much. Though I just got the GNC200 closed, I'm trying to master the #2 still.

I think I'll be doing pretty good once I can no set the IM#2

For sure Eman. This was the 2.5 you were doing in the vid, right?

I think your set was a bit shallow that time, but the 2.5 is hard to set to begin with.

Also nice secret weapon.

Men... we will have the 2.5 closed soon. Right now, we can all move the no3 and if it bleeds then we can kill it!

I think your set was a bit shallow that time, but the 2.5 is hard to set to begin with.

Also nice secret weapon.

Yes, That was the #2.5 and it was a really deep (shallow) set. I am closing the #2 with wide set but would not say that I can own the #2 yet either. You can see my training video on Youtube (look for Travis Mitchell COC)

The secret weapon I found in the trash were I work! We are always throwing really nice stuff away for scrap metal and I saw a stand to hold a book and cut the top off and the handles were some bad tooling. If I could have half the stuff we throw away I could build squat racks!

Only problem is the handles on the SW are starting to show some surface rust in the garage same reason I don't store my grippers in the garage anymore.

EMAN

Also nice secret weapon.

Yes, That was the #2.5 and it was a really deep (shallow) set. I am closing the #2 with wide set but would not say that I can own the #2 yet either. You can see my training video on Youtube (look for Travis Mitchell COC)

The secret weapon I found in the trash were I work! We are always throwing really nice stuff away for scrap metal and I saw a stand to hold a book and cut the top off and the handles were some bad tooling. If I could have half the stuff we throw away I could build squat racks!

Only problem is the handles on the SW are starting to show some surface rust in the garage same reason I don't store my grippers in the garage anymore.

EMAN

I meant to say that your set was further down your palm than mine typically are.

I should post a 2.5 attempt sometime too.

That's a great way to get a Secret Weapon!

Also nice secret weapon.

Men... we will have the 2.5 closed soon. Right now, we can all move the no3 and if it bleeds then we can kill it!

Nope, i'm at university in the UK, and on my course (History) the only meaningful exams i have are at the end of my 3rd year, where i have 5 exams, the results of which, along with my dissertation will determine if i graduate and the class of my degree. History is a little unusual, most subjects have some exams in 2nd year, which contribute 20-40% towards their final grade. How does it work in the states?? I do have exams at the start of each term, but they don't count towards anything, they are just to show the tutors how i'm getting on.

@Eman - that's quite a wide set you're using there for the #2.5 attempt. You might find it easier to set it a little closer than parallel to begin with. Also, you have quite an unconventional setting technique, using the ends of your fingers (it appears, correct me if i'm seeing it wrong), i found that Paul Knights guide to setting a gripper was HUGELY helpful - it took me a week or two to get the hang of it, but when i did i went from only getting my #3 to about parallel, to getting within a centimetre or so with no increase in strength, just technique. I think the video is linked on a forum here somewhere, or just check out Paul's YouTube (paulknight3).

Also nice secret weapon.

Nope, i'm at university in the UK, and on my course (History) the only meaningful exams i have are at the end of my 3rd year, where i have 5 exams, the results of which, along with my dissertation will determine if i graduate and the class of my degree. History is a little unusual, most subjects have some exams in 2nd year, which contribute 20-40% towards their final grade. How does it work in the states?? I do have exams at the start of each term, but they don't count towards anything, they are just to show the tutors how i'm getting on.

@Eman - that's quite a wide set you're using there for the #2.5 attempt. You might find it easier to set it a little closer than parallel to begin with. Also, you have quite an unconventional setting technique, using the ends of your fingers (it appears, correct me if i'm seeing it wrong), i found that Paul Knights guide to setting a gripper was HUGELY helpful - it took me a week or two to get the hang of it, but when i did i went from only getting my #3 to about parallel, to getting within a centimetre or so with no increase in strength, just technique. I think the video is linked on a forum here somewhere, or just check out Paul's YouTube (paulknight3).

The universities in the states are course credit based (120 or so credits are required for graduation in a 4 yr plan). Most classes are 3 credits where I live, and each have a few exams that you are required to take to pass the class.

The exams each constitute part of the course grade percentage, along with other work. Students are graded at the end of their university career by how they did on average, in all the classes. The grades are expected to be kept high in our specialization or major.

Also, finals take place twice a year, at the end of every semester. They are a big determing factor of your course grade for that class.

Also nice secret weapon.

The universities in the states are course credit based (120 or so credits are required for graduation in a 4 yr plan). Most classes are 3 credits where I live, and each have a few exams that you are required to take to pass the class.

The exams each constitute part of the course grade percentage, along with other work. Students are graded at the end of their university career by how they did on average, in all the classes. The grades are expected to be kept high in our specialization or major.

Also, finals take place twice a year, at the end of every semester. They are a big determing factor of your course grade for that class.

Yeah, thats the video.

Ah i see! Sound like a lot of pressure!! The good thing about the UK system is that you have a bit of flexibility to have a slightly more relaxed first year (no exams) and explore other activities etc if you so wish, without worrying about jeopardising work, but then you have to work like a dog for final exams. I guess neither system is better than the other, each has pros and cons, although i'm glad i don't have to take exams regularly!

Also nice secret weapon.

You are exactly right about my set and Jordan Rechsteiner just pointed this out to me as well. I watched the paulknight video and it is something I am going to work on. Usually it doesn't look so odd when I can dominate a gripper.

When you are dealing with your goal gripper It makes you look like you are pinching the handles together.

I think the paul knight gripper set video is the one where he explains that you have to think of setting a gripper in terms of wrist flexion and not pinching the handles. If not whoever said that is a genious.

@patrickmeniru: I know that I'm kind of butting in on this conversation, but in my experience the grading percentages are largely determined by the professor. In my mandarin class... the grade that you make on the final exam was your final grade and it would be shown on the transcipt. My spanish class on the other hand the final was something like 10-15% and the other percentages were homework, tests, projects, and based on how well you spoke spanish.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I think the paul knight gripper set video is the one where he explains that you have to think of setting a gripper in terms of wrist flexion and not pinching the handles. If not whoever said that is a genious.

@patrickmeniru: I know that I'm kind of butting in on this conversation, but in my experience the grading percentages are largely determined by the professor. In my mandarin class... the grade that you make on the final exam was your final grade and it would be shown on the transcipt. My spanish class on the other hand the final was something like 10-15% and the other percentages were homework, tests, projects, and based on how well you spoke spanish.

Oh i see, mandarin should stand you in really good stead in terms of employment prospects if you can reach a reasonable proficiency in it (easier said than done i imagine, languages were never really my forte...)

Yeah... mandarin is basically GPA suicide. Level 1 class started with 12 people, level 2 had 1 person... if that tells you anything. I've taken two courses in mandarin and still don't have the ability to speak with any mandarin by displaying much efficiency in my communication skills. I live in a korean/ chinese district of atlanta and have heard on more than one occasion that I sound like "a drunk chinese". So I speak from experience when I say that it isn't a language that you can just learn in a classroom or from a book, but you must surround yourself by chinese, because it's so heavily dependent upon tone.

I actually gave up on becoming fluent because the investment vs return was so lopsided.

Patrick, I think the U.S. system is logical but sucks. It's meant more to standardize everything instead of just teaching something.

In comparison, the UK way sounds a bit more appealing.

Despite having the advantage of knowing most of the characters and having the right pronunciation, Mandarin has kicked my ass too. :online

im in this race. I opened my 2.5 and attempted it after 2 working sets of the #2. I didnt close it but i got alot farther than i thought i would.

Patrick, I think the U.S. system is logical but sucks. It's meant more to standardize everything instead of just teaching something.

Despite having the advantage of knowing most of the characters and having the right pronunciation, Mandarin has kicked my ass too. :online

Ni speak pu1nto3ngua4??? I had a really hard time with characters, then again we were being taught pinyin, traditional, and simplified at the same time because the professor was taiwanese and felt the need to input traditional. How long have you been studying?

im in this race. I opened my 2.5 and attempted it after 2 working sets of the #2. I didnt close it but i got alot farther than i thought i would.

Cool! How far could you get on it? I'm not entirely strong enough to be able to do sets with the 2 yet, I can maybe squeeze out 3 reps.

Ni speak pu1nto3ngua4??? I had a really hard time with characters, then again we were being taught pinyin, traditional, and simplified at the same time because the professor was taiwanese and felt the need to input traditional. How long have you been studying?

I'm fluent in Japanese so knowing the characters come with that. I studied mandarin for a bit about a year ago, and wanted to pick it up again lately but decided to try to refresh my french. I used to live near quebec in canada and was semi-fluent in it. I've lost about all of it now though.

I've heard Canadian French only useful in Canada because it hasn't changed much since the French came there a few hundred years ago. Are these allegations true?

I guess they are a bit different, but it'd be useful in france as well, albeit not as much as in canada.

I don't remember enough french to have an opinion that counts. :shutup:

I feel like I'm getting stronger by the day. I can close both GNC200s I have more easily now, and the #2 which used to give me a problem is becoming my bitch.

Just did my first RT workout, though I was a bit tired from my gripper workout I did last night. Lifted 100 easy, but my progress stopped at 120.

I'll try again when I'm fresh, I want to get at least 3 plates. Hopefully with much work, I'll get 200#s this year.

Another update is that I think I got enough strength to do a bodyweight gripper close now.

What I mean is that my MMS gripper closes are at 120+ right now, with my natural BW being 115.

My BW's at 135#s right now, so I'm a bit off from that and it'll probably take a few months and some calibrations until it's a legitimate BW close.

I bet my IM2.5 is around 140, because it's almost indistinguishable from my #3. So once I can close that, two more goals of mine will be destroyed!

This thread is very encouraging. Keep it up guys!

Picked up my vulcan before I went to bed last night. Closed it with the orange spring on the 7th notch both sides... both hands. I have no idea what level that is though, but it was a PR for me.