Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

It's never cheap, but you should consider getting a nice deep tissue massage and ask them to spend extra time on your hands and forearms. An occassional massage can do wonders when you're feeling beat up.

It's never cheap, but you should consider getting a nice deep tissue massage and ask them to spend extra time on your hands and forearms. An occassional massage can do wonders when you're feeling beat up.

Thanks dude. Even though I'm a poor student, I may have to shell out the dough and get one. Freaking arm feels like crap lately. I drove back from the gym with one arm. This better heal up before nationals.

I demand you take a week off. :angry2:

• Like 2

Thanks dude. Even though I'm a poor student, I may have to shell out the dough and get one. Freaking arm feels like crap lately. I drove back from the gym with one arm. This better heal up before nationals.

Yeah man....a little tendonitis is one thing...but the numbness thing has to be dealt with.

I demand you take a week off. :angry2:

A week off can only help you at this point being so close to nationals.....you're NOT going to shrivel up into a puny weakling in one week (although we all fear that when faced with time off from training...lol). I'd take Rich's advice....all the strength in the world doesn't do any good if you're not healthy enough to express it.

You guys are right, I have been hitting it hard for months non stop. I have made the decision to take 3 full days off from any strength training (weight lifting or grip or AW). That is a lot for me. I'm also switching to the Tim Struse method for grippers which focuses on lighter grippers for explosive reps. I have been doing heavy gripper singles for a while now and I think that is the cause of the problem. This numbness really kicks up during heavy gripper singles. I'll do the Tim Struse method until nationals and hopefully I will be ready to hit a gripper high.

What they said. Massages are great too, as long as they fricken listen. Make her rub those arms and hands out like it's all that matters. Coupled with rest it'll freshen up the arms quick.

Cesare I experienced the same and had a hurting feeling around my elbow and underarm. Walked around with that for a year...

went to a hand therapist who gave me the right massage, she knew how to stretch my hand and my underarm and I could feel something 'popping' and stretching deep in my arm, a point which one could never reach even with deep tissue massage. Before that I had to go

through an MRI, echo, etc, and there was nothing showing on that. Glad I got to her and the solution was so simple. Maybe google on

'carpal tunnel syndrome'. It was something like that. My complaints disappeared. Oh and there was this thing called .....'rest' ....I know, dirty word, but there, I've said it.

When she is done with the arms and hands, maybe I can have her add on a Korean massage. I hold a lot tension in my upper thighs. Inappropriate haha. :grin:

• Like 1

hey chez how far out are you from a #3.5 cert?

hey chez how far out are you from a #3.5 cert?

Its going to be a while for that. My COC #3.5 is rated at 179.7lbs. Its a beastly one. Before this arm issue, I was literally a hair's thickness away from closing my 185.8lb rated MM3 with an MMS. The jump from MMS to CCS takes time. Especially for me. Took me 5 months to go from a #3 MMS to a #3 CCS. Probably going to take longer for the #3.5 because as a person increases in strength, the gains start coming slower. I'll keep plugging away and get it one day though no matter how long it takes.

your #3.5 is even harder than mine! Mine is 179lbs and it is a beast so I know what you mean. Remember though Chez you are much larger than when you first started doing the #3 and that will cut the learning curve so to speak on your strength. As for me I am miles away from a #3.5 CCS with the hard one. I'd like to get to a easy (190-194lb) #4 by he end of the year and that is just a little over 20lbs for me, but those 20lbs are going to take some time for sure.

I took the advice and got a deep tissue massage today. My first time ever and I loved it. This new place opened up by me and they were offering 1/2 price for a limited time so I thought it was a good deal for an hour long massage. I told the guy about the training I do and he focused on my neck, arms, hands and back. Felt great after and much looser. I decided to start the Struse method for training grippers (Thanks for the email Rich - I chose the first workout you sent) and did some light grippers with explosive closes. I wanted to wait another day before training but this workout is not very taxing so I felt great doing it. This first session called for working sets of 8 doubles with a gripper that is 65% of my max. I chose my COC #2 for this range based on average RGC ratings. So far my best max close is a 20 MM block set 175 BBE in competition so I'm using that for my max even though I might be a little higher than that.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working - explosive closes done as fast as possible

COC #2 = 8 doubles really focusing on speed and making the handles click.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working - explosive closes done as fast as possible

RBA with Hard Spring 3-3 setting (chart says this equals a COC# 1.5) = 8 doubles really focusing on speed and making the handles click.

Note: That is it. Real quick workout. Next time I will be using 90% of my max for 6 singles with overcrush holds. Probably Tuesday will be the next gripper workout. If I feel good tomorrow, I will do the thick bar workout that Ben Edwards sent me.

How did your hands feel during and after working out? I still think you should have taken a week off but if you feel ok then good. The 1st program is light any way and will be good for active recovery.

Did that guy give you the Korean message you wanted? :getlost:

How did your hands feel during and after working out? I still think you should have taken a week off but if you feel ok then good. The 1st program is light any way and will be good for active recovery.

Did that guy give you the Korean message you wanted? :getlost:

haha, Thank god he didn't. I'm actually glad I got a guy because he was strong enough to really apply pressure. He beat the hell out of me. My hands feel great. The #2 is super easy for me so it didn't bother my hands. I might delay my thick bar work till Sunday to give myself another day rest. Going to use my 159+ RB 330N for the 90% work next time.

Some of those lady message therapists have some guns on them too. The one here at work bruised my trap last time. She does use her elbows quite a bit, so it may not have been due to grip/arm strength.

The last lady I had was a big one, strong too. And she used her elbow and forearm bone to hit my arms deep. To simulate that while resting between squats I lean on the bar with the forearms and apply my weight with a little movement to rub deep in the forearms. Feels damn good. Try leaning on the squat bar with the forearms. Bye bye tense forearms.

I hit the heavier day of the Struse workout today. Using a gripper in the 90-95% of my max for singles with an overcrush. Felt great. Overcrushes and negatives always beat up the skin on the hand though. Used my 159.6# RB 330N for my right hand and my 153# Cert #3/Brent's 151.77 #3 for my left.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 240 = 1 rep

Working

159.6 lb RGC rated RB 330N = 6 singles with an overcrush of 7 seconds each time.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

BBM 5/8" = 3 reps

COC #2.5 =1 rep

Working

153# RGC rated COC #3 = 3 singles with a 7 second overcrush each time

Brent's 151.77# RGC rated COC #3 = 3 singles with a 7 second overcrush each time. My left hand doesn't have great endurance so I switched to Brent's #3.

Note: That is it for grip today. Tonight I'm going to do a light shoulder workout. Next grip session will be thick bar with the ghetto Axle or Fat Gripz. I'm also bringing the rest of my grippers to nationals so Chris Rice can RGC the rest of them. It really helps having RGC rated grippers when getting ready for a comp.

Edited by Chez

when are you going to change the name of your training log?

also, i would seriously consider taking 5-7 days off before nationals. eat well, hydrate, maybe get another massage then kill it. your hands will be fighting to smash something after time off for recovery. see you there.

• Like 1

IMO you should do whatever you feel will give you best performance at the Nationals - maybe lighten up a little and then take a few days off right beforehand, which seems to be the route you're taking. After nationals though, i'd be tempted to take a week off grippers, carry on with general gym stuff, and do lots of forearm stretches and mobility exercises. In terms of massage costs, they can be a lot for us students, MobilityWOD has some good stretching and mobility advice for the forearm here:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/07/episode-291365-elbow-pain-and-grody-tacked-down-forearms.html

Sounds like what you're suffering with. Just don't be too enthusiastic with the amount of pressure, take it light to begin with and see how you react, then add a little more pressure each time you do it until you reach a point where the tension in the arm is significantly reduced.

Obviously i'm no physio, but seems like pretty sensible stuff. Best of luck at the comp.

I like the amended training log name. :rock

Some of those lady message therapists have some guns on them too. The one here at work bruised my trap last time. She does use her elbows quite a bit, so it may not have been due to grip/arm strength.

The lady I have gone to has bigger forearms than me. The pressure she can apply through her hands is astonishing. She can mash.

I like the amended training log name. :rock

that is more like it.

haha, Had to get Matt to make the change. I didn't want to start a new log because I made sure that every workout is in here since the beginning and my OCD personality likes the fact that it is complete. I'm buying the first round at nationals Chuck.

Hit Thick bar today. Brought my fat gripz to my school gym and used them on all back exercises again. I love this workout. My forearms get a crazy pump from it.

Double Overhand Deadlifts with fat gripz on an Olympic bar (spreads the fat gripz a little wider)

115 lbs = 8 reps

165 lbs = 3 reps

215 lbs = 1 rep

235 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 1 rep

265 lbs = 1 rep

245 lbs = 2 reps

245 lbs = 2 reps

Lat Pull downs with Fat Gripz

130 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

Machine rows (the machine handles are already thick so they really spread the fat gripz wide)

110 lbs = 10 reps

110 lbs = 10 reps

120 lbs = 10 reps

I finished with 6 sets of machine preacher curls for my biceps but without the fat gripz.

Note: My arms left great. No numbness, but I did hold back a little to protect them. I'm going to take 2 days off and then hit light explosive grippers and pinch. I'm going to try and stay away from anything grip related until then. I'll hit legs at the gym tomorrow so my entire upper body gets rest.