NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hey guys. I'm a new member here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a bodybuilder who has recently become interested in grip training. I think (and hope) that my gains will come fast because of my weight-lifting background. I started my training on the 14th of January and closed the CoC #1 five times. I closed the #2 for the first time tonight! It felt very good to feel those handles touch. I'll be working towards the #3 and hope to become a certified CoC in less than a year. I guess we will all see if I can do it or not. Cheers. :cool

Hi, my name is Andy and last year I got back into lifting after several years of admitted laziness... But I'm doing better! Anyway, my grip has always been worthless and I've spent the last several months trying to bring it up. I figure I'll be spending most of my time just lurking - grip training is a new thing for me and I just want to soak up some background info. Thanks!

hey, im new here, i bodybuild and i recently found out about grip training on another board and cant wait to start once my grippers arrive.this forum looks helpful and the people seem really cool. glad to be here :rock

Just registered last night and I am looking forward to picking everyones brain. I have been grip straining about 1 year now, and I started grip training for strongman (training strongman for 2 1/2 years). Formerly a college shot put and discus thrower and have competed in powerlifting.

I was sick and tired of my weak wrists and lazy grip one night so I figured there had to be some better grippers out there than the ones I bought at Academy years ago. I got online and one thing led to another. I ended up researching this "captain of crush" thing and it led me to some of the best in the game who are mostly members here. It is a privilege to be able to get some advice from those experts. I ended up buying the Trainer and 2 weeks later got my #1 in. I got them both in January. So I dont know if they are 2004 or 2005 models. The Trainer yes is very easy, but the #1 seems harder than 140lbs. I read somewhere that it could be close to 150lbs for 2004. I imagine the #2 will be tough so I will probably get that one or the RB 200ip (if they make one) next.

I have been inspired by many of the feats I have seen done (cyberpump, diesel crew, and other links). WOW. I have a hard enough time plate pinching 2 25lb plates much less dreaming of pinching 2 45's. They seem glued to the floor!

I will probably find myself lurking around on here and getting tips on how to continue to strengthen my grip, wrists and forearms. I have been at it since December 2004.

I tried doing some bending the other day and I bent 5 timber ties. I know, a walk in the park for most, but it seemed pretty hard for me considering the hardest thing I have bent lately is a 18 gauge needle. Man, did my wrists and ELBOWS hurt for days afterwards. So I have decided ot lay off the bending for a while until I get some more strength in the wrists.

I dont think there is much in the Grip Game here in the south so I will just be reading and watching highlight clips for the mostpart.

Looking forward to gaining knowledge and to seeing Big Steve on the Tonight Show coming up.

RL

Representing the SouthSide.

My name is John, I have been lifting for a few years preparing to go into law enforcement. My friend Iron Orr (the man) recommended gripping to me. I have known him since I was a freshman in high school. I want to work on my crush, and my levering for bending.

My name is BRUNO

Well thats my last name and thats what I have always gone by. Im 6 4 240 and handsome as the day is long. My goals are get the #3 often enough to get certified on it, pinch 3 25s all the way up and 200 on the Rolling Thunder.

I look forward to learning from you all

BRUNO

hey guys,

my name is Nick, 5'11", 195, just started grip training about a month ago. i should be able to close the COC 2 within the next month or so, and also am working on tearing my first deck of cards.

def addicted to gripboard, gripping, tearing, and anything else hardcore.

Hi, I'm a sophomore in high school and I work on my grip and wrists to help out my wrestling and hopefully help me become a state champion. I've never really lifted weights for very long at a time, partly due to lack of time and partly due to lack of discipline in that area (although I don't think I've wrestled any people my age and weight that felt stronger.) Right now I'm just doing pull-ups and using my IM gripper (plus wrestling of course.)

Howdy everyone! My name's Stephen Starling. I'm 39, live in Maryland. I find the CoC challenge very motivating, and hope to triumph with them. Other than that, I'd like to improve a variety of grip strength types, and forearm strength, to assist in the blue collar work I do.

Just to mark my 'beginning' grip level: I can close the CoC#1 with right hand only.

Yeah! Lot's of room for improvement! :D

Peace!

- Stephen

Hi. I'm Ray Yingling from Boise, ID. 28 years old, 5'10", 195 lbs. Been lifting for

~15 years and training crushing grip on my ISG for ~10 years. I could close my ISG on the highest setting for many years (bracing it with the other hand) but could never progress beyond there using the good old "1-3 sets of 5-15 reps, 1-3 times (or less) per week" approach. Spent some time in the USAF and used to impress my buddies since I never saw anyone else who could do this.

After a few years of maintenance/layoffs to focus on school (I'm currently a senior studying physics at BSU) I got serious about strength again ~2 years ago. Last February I ordered the COC's and KTA (on the same day!). Couldn't quite fully close the #1, even after carefully studying the technique pointers in KTA! This after 10+ years of (on/off, ineffective) grip training?? (even though I hate the term, I am definately a hardgainer!). Closed the #1 a couple days later; Feb, 2004 and quickly started to dominate it as I slowly incorporated KTA principles to "ease into it" for a few weeks. Mashed the #2 exactly 3 months after my first #1 close with KTA. 4 months after that (sept, 2004) closed the BBSM. So now after 1 year of "serious" grip training (mostly KTA, but not always to the letter--lots of "easy" weeks mixed in there), I'm working on the #3 (1/4-1/2" to go) and still trying to dominate the BBSM (still 1 mm to go lefty).

The gains are slowing, so I'm going to focus on wrist work for awhile (which I've been neglecting!), along with pinch to balance my overall hand strenght before I make a serious run at the #3. My other training is focused on the basics for functional strength and I've been influenced by many authors and approaches: Arthur Jones, Leo Costa, Brooks Kubik, Pavel Tsatsouline... I'm always trying to learn new ways to take myself to the outer limits of my potential. Oh, and this is my first post, but I've been lurking for quite awhile and learned alot from the old posts here, so thanks.

Hey everyone,

My name is Todd from Phoenix, AZ. I've gotten into general fitness for a little bit, running, cycling, etc. after a period of procrastination and laziness. I purchased a kettlebell along with some other items from DD about a year and a half ago and really got into it, especially the bodyweight training. I learned of Iron Mind from a link on the DD website, and found out about The Gripboard from some folks over there.

I got into grip training about a month and half ago. I've closed the IM Trainer, Hg 150 and I'm about 1/8inch away from closing the HG250. Just finished reading Mastery of Hand Strength (as I heard it was "required reading") and started working on my pinch grip and a few wrist/ forearm excercises. Found some old hex dumbbells in the back of a car in my junkyard, so I will chop them up this weekend.

I've been lurking around the forums for a little while now checking everything out. My goal is to close the IM#3 by this time next year and continue my overall grip strength and bodyweight /kettlebell training.

Congrats to everyone for all the helpful info and making this a great site!

Time I intro myself. My name is Scott George, i am 6' 1" 190 right now, turning 30 this year. I started grip training on dec 23 2004 when my brother-in- law showed me a ironmind#2, 3 and 4. I came real close to closing the 2 that day and got hooked. Christmas day my mother-in-law gave me a #2 for Christmas and I closed it with pure excitement.

Since then I have picked up a #3,#4, Rb240N,260N,RB300N,HG250,300,400,500. I am hooked. I also have made many other grip implements for my collection including thick handle, bars and handle, blocks and pinch stuff.

My acomplishments since I started grip training include closing all of the gripper listed above except the #4 and HG500. Lifted 200lbs on RT, 105lbs on Fat Bastards 3" crusher.

There are a lot of strong guys on here and it is great to hear all of the acomplishments.

Does anyone live in the Charlotte area for witnessing a #3 close so I can be a MM0! :D

Hello - I'm new to this, and it looks like fun. I'm 48, and tried the No 1 CoC 18 months ago. I found it okay, and went on to No2 - which was hard, but I can manage 6 times in a row now.

So I bought No3 - which is very hard. I can get to within 1" of closing - but that last bit seems impossible at the mo.

I have smallish mits, and find I'm using 3 fingers and thumb - is that the best way?

- I want to crush it, (especially as I'm knocking on a bit, and must be still in the middle-age crisis !) Surely big hands have got to be a benefit. Couldn't they do a smaller version with the same resistance?

- I shall read all the training stuff, and see how far I can get!

cheers, Dave

Hi Everyone - I'm 24 in the Durham, NC area, I've been climbing for about ten years which is my main interest. I'm 5'11 and about 170. I've gotten into bending some but I think I need stronger wrists so I've been doing a lot of sledgehammer levering with an adjustable one i made from pipe. I also love playing with the rolling thunder, i hope to be able to do a one are pullup on it, right now i can pull about 160 on it so i have a bit to go before i have the handstrength to do it. I also hope to pinch 2 45's and as of now i can do about 65 lbs, I take the 25's and slide a section of pvc through the hole so i can add weight. I'm also into kettlebells which have complimented my climbing quite well. I have a lot of respect for the people here and have gotten a lot of motivation and ideas, I hope i'll be able to contribute back....Which reminds me I've been using the IM loading pin to help with bending by holding a carriage bolt or something along the same lines and sliding it through the hole so the bolt is parallel with the ground and lifting one handed so it creates the same sort of torque on the wrist and hand as it does when i bend. I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it but maybe it will help some others. Thanks - Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

What up everyone! I am very new to the grip scene. I will soon buy my first set of grips. I was wanting to buy the trainer, #1 and maybe #2. I have been powerlifting, and bodybuilding for 5 years. I love the idea of grips and bending. Can't wait to start!

Hello everyone.

I've been lifting weights for 2 years now. I'm 38 and I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I got interested in grip training when it was mentioned on Dr. Squat. This board was mentioned there too so I came here and had a look. Immediately got hooked on bending.

I can close the Coc # 2 and the #3 is less than a half inch away.

Great board here.

Two Tone

Ive been training grip in various ways for a year. I can close the coc number 2 with both hands. Ive been bending only for two weeks. I have bent several grade 2 bolts.

I am a blue belt in brazilan jiu jitsu. I am 6' 260 with long arms.

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie.

My name is Tommy Tedford (34 yrs old, 6'3 ~210 lbs). I've been taining my crushing grip for about 8 months now after I came accross the IM website browsing the internet. I was hooked immediately.

I love the challenge that crushing grippers presents and found out that it's necessary to seek advice and new ideas to keep making progress. So I'm reading up all I can to that end. I hope I can help someone else when I have more experience.

I currently own the IM's #1 - #3 and PDA's 243 and 262 (roughly 1.5. and 2.5).

Will definitely buy more in the future...I hope to close the #3 this year. Right now I can almost close the PDA 2.5 (1/4 inch to go) but the Coc #3 seems too far away. It seems to fight back at you :)

I'm very grateful for all the advice and knowledge gathered up in this forum.

Thanks to everyone.

-t

hello everybody,

My name is Bill. today (3/14/05) is the day before my 16th birthday. about a week or so ago i ordered an IM#2 and a T and they arrived today i warmed up with the trainer and then went for the #2 i was able to close it and it was my first attempt ever on #2 and i figured after reading "Very rarely will someone close the No. 2 the first time he tries it." on iromind's web site i mind have a decent grip for my age.

i am from upstate new york, i weight roughly 165 lbs 5'9" my hand measures (from wrist to middle finger tip) 7", my forearms measure 12.5". i wrestle and play baseball for my highschool. one day in wrestling practice "smitty" from diesel crew showed up to help us to get conditioned for the season, so later i went to their web site and ordered the heavy grips 100-300 set and orderd a 2004 #3 and was suprised how hard it was which led to me ordering the T and #2. i have only been grip training for a about 3-4 months and my really desired goal is to close my #3 and get certified on the MM1.

Hello fellow Grip Addicts

My name is Lowell Luplow (5'11" 205lbs)

I never EVER even thought about grip training before 3 months ago!!! I moved from Charleston SC to Boise ID. I moved in with one of my good friends and he has trained Grip "seriously" for about a year. He would train grip so much he would exclude all other muscle groups except forearms and hands. I was like..."What the hell is this shit?" My roommate handed me the trainer and told me to try and close it. I promptly shut the trainer. MAN!!! that was hard. Then he handed me the #1. I squeezed as hard as I could and slowly shut this monster. GAHH!!! that was hard!!! Finally he handed me the number #2. I tried to shut this beast and I could not even budge it at all. He then grabbed it from me and slammed it shut!!....I was like WTF!!!! Whoooaaa that was kewl. My roommate then taught me how to set the gripper and a few techniques used to close them. I then grabbed the number 2 again and tried to close it.....SNAP!!! CRACK!!!!! OWWWEEEE!!!! My hand was throbbing with pain as it felt as if I had broke all the bones in my hand. My roommate informed me that I need to "condition" my hands before I tried to start closing some of the harder grippers. Standing there holding my hand in pain....I was like....NO SHIT!!!!

Fast Forward 3 months!!! ------ I can now close the #2 and i am working on the BBSW....I am actually pretty damn close to getting it. I can now do negatives on the #3 without wanting to chop my hand off to relieve myself of the pain!!! It feels pretty damn Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing good!! I am totally addicted to trying "to get the next gripper". My roommate uses a program that I am sure needs no introduction on this board.....*drum roll* KTA. I have not used KTA to the letter as of yet but I do use concept from it like negatives and overcrushes. Honestly I don't know how you guys do it...From looking at KTA that is one tough ass program. I guess tough ass program = tough ass grip strength!! =) Now I am into thick bar training and lever bar work....both of which are awsome!!!! N E way I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know my progress before posting on your excellent grip board!!! THANX!!!

Hello.

I've been lifting weights for about a year and recently got interested in grip training with the Coc Grippers. So far I can close the #1 always and sometime the # 2.

Also got interested in nail bending with my friend who showed me the grip board.

Now I'm playing with the powerball and kicking me friends' asses. fun fun fun.

:trout