Grip At The Arnold Classic

climber511

Main stage time at the Arnold is extremely tight. So I don't expect to see a whole bunch of people picked to compete - I'm just guessing but it will be kept to a relatively small group. And remember - this is a "show" as much as a "competition".

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• 1stCoC

• The Natural

• andurniat

Many of the WSM competitors and big name powerlifters will be at the Arnold competing. If pride is not enough to get them to compete, I'm not sure $1000, or $10,000, or even $100,000 will be enough to get them to risk their reps against these "well known American gripsters." Who's to say they would be able to do better than our well known gang (not all American - Don't forget Mob is coming over to compete)? I mean Chad has pulled as much on the RT as the "RT King" Mark Felix. I think we might just be surprised to find out that our well known gang (Andrew, Chad, Steve, Jedd, Dave, Brad) might just be the guys to beat in this contest no matter who competed.

I know our grip guys look to be willing to step up. All the "absolute Grip Monsters" out there have to do to beat them would be to step up on the stage and give it a shot. That's been a running argument on here that the WSM guys and the big powerlifters could just run away with grip contests if they ever trained for them. I for one would love to see it. I think this is a great step to get grip strength more recognized in the strength universe. I hope some of the big names you are thinking of will participate since a good number of them will be there competing anyway. I think our gang would stand up pretty well against them. IMO.

This has been said before and baring in mind I have contact with, trained with, etc some WSM competitors it's wrong, at least in my experience. To begin with 1) because they are focussed on their own events 2) They're not getting any of the latter figures you suggest for WSM (the monies crap) 3) I've trained with, as I said, some WSM level guys and I beat them on the grip stuff. That's not to say they've not been damned good - they have. 90-kilo pinches (Laurence Shahlaei, 8th in WSM 2009, has pulled 112kg and around 200lbs on an RT) and so on.

I'll read up a little more, see if there are any rules for the events, and then consider submitting my resume.

Many of the WSM competitors and big name powerlifters will be at the Arnold competing. If pride is not enough to get them to compete, I'm not sure $1000, or $10,000, or even $100,000 will be enough to get them to risk their reps against these "well known American gripsters." Who's to say they would be able to do better than our well known gang (not all American - Don't forget Mob is coming over to compete)? I mean Chad has pulled as much on the RT as the "RT King" Mark Felix. I think we might just be surprised to find out that our well known gang (Andrew, Chad, Steve, Jedd, Dave, Brad) might just be the guys to beat in this contest no matter who competed.

I know our grip guys look to be willing to step up. All the "absolute Grip Monsters" out there have to do to beat them would be to step up on the stage and give it a shot. That's been a running argument on here that the WSM guys and the big powerlifters could just run away with grip contests if they ever trained for them. I for one would love to see it. I think this is a great step to get grip strength more recognized in the strength universe. I hope some of the big names you are thinking of will participate since a good number of them will be there competing anyway. I think our gang would stand up pretty well against them. IMO.

The Chad will win every event except the axle and I'm going with Andrew on that one. I look forward to the showdown between Grip Nerds and the Pro Strongmen who would supposedly run away with our sport.

Not to quick Josh. :) Lifting the #300 DB "out of the box" will be different than lifting it "already

out of the box". I would like to know the wiggle room of the DB in the box. (Mr. Sorin?) There's some physics going on

there that will make a big difference.

Grip Nerds vs. Pro Strongmen? Let's not forget that Andrus Murumets (strongman) broke Mark Felix's RT record

"first time" he'd ever seen the implement. MMmm? Just think if he trained the RT. Mark went on to win 1st place

but my point is that this guy walked right up and broke the previous record "1st TIME". Who else lurks around the corner?

Put up A LOT of CASH and advertise to the right audience and current records will be utterly destroyed.

Again, my thoughts. ;)

Regarding the box issue. It's worth mentioning that when David Prowse brought the original Inch dumbbell from it's previous owner he high pulled it because it was stuck tight in the box. He later said that it stopped the rotation and he had to do more work on it when it was out of the box. I'd hazard a guess if the box is tight it's an issue and it it's not it's a different one.

I wish you the best if you try Steve.

Who is the WSM competitors you trained with?

Laurence Shahlaie regularly trained with us until very recently. He placed 8th in this years WSM (on TV over xmas). We also get various BSM under 105-kilo and over athletes train with us from time to time. Nick McKinless, also a grip strength athlete, competed in and won the under 105 BSM a few years ago. He lived nearby for 2 years or so.

I've also lifted at events with BSM and WSM level athletes. At one, some time back, I asked Terry Holland's to have a go at the Millennium as well as other strength athletes there.

If those 4 don't get in with their grip resumes and some strongman does, it's a shame.

Mighty Joe: regarding your Andy Bolton comment... I actually think he went and had a session with mobster. I think mobster missed your comment on Andy lifting the 300# DB otherwise he would have commented on this I think.

Resumes can be sent to either Dr. Todd or myself . Any I get will be reviewed and sent to Dr.Todd and the other 3 comittee members to review. If you are known to me and Dr. Todd has not seen you "in action" I would be able to add my comments before sending your info into "the ring"for futher evaluation. As for money it is 1000.00 PER event not total so a possibility of winning 4000.00 is there.The competitors will be held to aprox 10. If it is "just about the money" which I find the promoters have been more than generous try out for Pro sports. I think one should feel more than honored to be given a chance in the spotlight by Arnold.RS

If those 4 don't get in with their grip resumes and some strongman does, it's a shame.

fixed

Mighty Joe: regarding your Andy Bolton comment... I actually think he went and had a session with mobster. I think mobster missed your comment on Andy lifting the 300# DB otherwise he would have commented on this I think.

Andy came to see Paul Savage (long story) and so I spent the 4 hours with them. He would not nor ever will pull a 300lb thick handled dumbbell. He's just not built right.

I'll see if I can find the photo of the three of us together. I found one of me, Andy and Laurence's brother Harry. n1070810967_30130447_3183.jpg

It's looking like this "Mighty Mitts" is somewhat similar to the early days of the WSM - comparatively big coverage, unusual events, limited invited field etc. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Will this be getting recorded for TV?

More likely for an HD YouTube video set to sweet music.

I think it's a tremendous opportunity for Grip! As long as at least a couple of grip guys are on the list. Excellent news, and any money is better than 99% of grip comps in history. A heck of a lot better than most of the Pro strongman comps I competed in.

Really hope Steve gets to go, it looks right up his street. Hopefully Laine snook also know's about this as the only guy to lift 2 millenium dumbells simultaneously and previous rolling thunder world record holder should definetly be involved.

Brief resume sent to Richard.

Get em Steve! :mosher

^ :rock

So Chad, Andrew, Steve, and Jedd are applying. I will not miss this. Gonna be a hoot! :mosher

App sent, brothers.

Thanks Rex. Also thanks to Brad Ardrey who hooked me up with an email address as well.

I gave the thick handled dumbbells a run through by way of testing myself this morning (see my log). Not too many problems although I'll need a few sessions to get to 300lbs.

Resumes can be sent to either Dr. Todd or myself . Any I get will be reviewed and sent to Dr.Todd and the other 3 comittee members to review. If you are known to me and Dr. Todd has not seen you "in action" I would be able to add my comments before sending your info into "the ring"for futher evaluation. As for money it is 1000.00 PER event not total so a possibility of winning 4000.00 is there.The competitors will be held to aprox 10. If it is "just about the money" which I find the promoters have been more than generous try out for Pro sports. I think one should feel more than honored to be given a chance in the spotlight by Arnold.RS

let's put some common sense to this conundrum.

$1,000 entry fee to anyone that wants to compete other

than the pre-qualified select.

Then, $100,000 top prize if you really want to get

big.

big.

don't be afraid grip guys. competition only makes you stronger.

big.

You mentioned a $1000 entry fee and common sense in the same paragraph. It aint gonna happen that way now is it? There is also a time limit for being on stage at these kinds of events and Mighty Mitts is a side show. Let's not have all and sundry embarrass themselves and take all day about it eh? Richard and Terry are more than capable of putting this together and I'd be very happy, if chosen, to go up against a handful of WSM type guys.

You mentioned a $1000 entry fee and common sense in the same paragraph. It aint gonna happen that way now is it? There is also a time limit for being on stage at these kinds of events and Mighty Mitts is a side show. Let's not have all and sundry embarrass themselves and take all day about it eh? Richard and Terry are more than capable of putting this together and I'd be very happy, if chosen, to go up against a handful of WSM type guys.

Agreed.