Training For The Coc#3

MrAmerica

Hello,

I train since 8 month with Grippers. On my first attempt I can do the #2. Now I can do this for 12 reps. I ordered the #2.5, this Gripper I can do für 4 reps.

The #3 I can´t do now, 0,5 inch missed for full close.

For Training I have the follow Items:

(I have the Grippers #1 , #2, #2.5, #3 and one imtug #5 - also a Fatbar, a rolling Thunder and a Block, wrist roll is ready for training)

Now my question plz:

How should I train now?

How many reps with which gripper should I do, to reach my goal - The CoC #3 -

Hope someone can help me.

thx you

PS: Sorry for my english I´m came from Austria

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrAmerica

• Joefrey

• Forever

• Malice

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Oak,

Your question is quite difficult to answer. You should go through this forum to find the info by yourself and discuss with people who are at the same level of strength (see topic in "COC#3 race" for example).

There are so many ways to achieve the goal of closing #3. :whacked

May I suggest you to write the workout scheme you are following at the present time as a first step ?

ok thx you very much for the answer

In the moment I have a problem with my ellbow it hurts very well and it´s hard for me to shake somebody´s hand ...

My trainings Routine is normaly:

WEEK1:

warm up with coc#1

then 3 sets up to 12 reps with coc#2 - the last set I hold the coc#2 so long I could

and now since I have the coc#2.5 I make also 2 sets with maybe 2 or 3 reps with the 2.5 - the last set I hold the coc#2.5 so long I could

after this workout I do some easy reps up to 30 reps with the "vise gripper" for pumping blood in my muscle

WEEK2:

I do some reps with the fat bar, pinch hold, wrist roll, rolling thunder hold and so on, and nothing with grippers

then I repeat week1 and week2

rg

mrA

First, I would suggest you to see a doctor. If your elbow hurts while shaking hands, it looks like you have a tendinitis (golf elbow or epitrochleite). It may be serious.

Then, when you'll be able to train again, if you want to train for strength and have an eye on closing #3, I would forget about repping your #2 or #2.5. A few clicks with your #1 as a warmup, then 2 to 3 reps with #2 and 1 to 2 rep(s) with #2.5 are enough. If you have a filled #2 or #2.5, that's fine too: do 1 rep and hold for a few seconds. At this stage, you should be ready for 3 to 5 attempts on #3. As a cooldown, a few reps on an easy gripper is nice. Ball rotations are my favorite. Keep records of your progress AND your feelings. Do this routine 3 to 4 times a week for 6 weeks then review your logbook.

In my opinion, if you want to make progress on both grippers and pulls, you should mix them within a week in place of doing a whole week of each.

KTA program is nice to make progress. It's tough. Don't do it until completely healed.

A damn good program has also been written by Ben Edwards (Bencrush). It has been published in MILO, December 2007, Volume 15 - Number 3. It's full of good sense and it definitely changed my mind on working with grippers.

Best of luck

Edited by Joefrey

Thx you very much. This help me a lot :) .

When my ellbow is healed I make this training. I record all in a book and do this for 6 weeks.

ABOUT MY ELLBOW-STORY:

My ellbow hurtet very much so I got a Cortison Injektion, I make 2 weeks break, after this I return to training, after 4 weeks, my ellbow hurtet again.... so I get Cortison Injektion after a break of 2 weeks and tabletts too. Then I waited until now, I don´t get a Injektion or Tabletts now, because in my opinion it make away the pain but this returns when I starting training for a while.

Now the pain after 3 weeks without gripper training was better, it hurts only when I press my fingers hard together... I think I make a longer break and do only my bodybuilding training and after christmas I return to gripper training whith the programm you show me in this thread. I hope my ellbow don´t hurt again then, but I think the pain come back ... :(

... thanks, I write when I starting the new training and post how successful it was for me ...

MrA

Edited by MrAmerica

Not to scare you but I'am afraid that it will take more time than a few weeks if you have a tendinitis. It can take months to be healed! I've had a tendinitis last year, "fortunately" on my left elbow (I'am right handed). I suspect it was during setting heavy gripper in my right hand with my left hand. It took 6 months to recover (but everybody is not in the same boat). In fact, a tendinitis is to be considered as a bone fracture and in most cases, only time and no training are the best things to follow. I know it's hard. Try to see what are the movements which hurt and simply avoid them. Cortisone only takes off the pain but that's all.

thx you very much for your time to answer my questions

that´s hard, this is right, i do my training with weights (bodybuilding) however, because it´s a part of my life, but the gripper training i break for a while because i don´t can make a good progress in strengh with the pain in my ellbow.

the cortison injektions allways make away the pain that´s right, but what you told me is also right the pain is away but comes faster back as i think because the acroarthritis is still here :(

so i follow your advice to break the gripper training longer then i wanted and hope the pain leave without cortison injektions or so on

AFTER the break i do the programm you advise me to realize my goal the #3

thx from austria

MrA

8 months!!!! iv been struggling for closer to 18 months and we are at the same stage!!!!

the fastest progress iv ever made was by using a coller and doing isometrics

when your ready that is

Don't worry, strength will come back rapidely when you'll train again. When I fully recovered, I hit PR within 2 months with my healed left arm ! It's just a question of patience. If your other arm feels good, you can train grippers no set or choked with few or no help from your injured arm

Edited by Joefrey

8 months!!!! iv been struggling for closer to 18 months and we are at the same stage!!!!

Yes, but you must know that I train Bodybuilding and Strenghtraining for nearly 18 years, so I have a good backround. No special gripper or handstrengh training before, this I do only for 8 month.

@Joefrey

thx very much, I let you know about my progress :)

MrA

• 2 months later...

So, last week I return into the training with grippers. From November 2009 until now I only train my bodybuilding routine, no forearms, no gripper training, fat-bar.

The pain in my ellbow is away and I hope it remains constant. I hope it´s fully recovered now.

I do only 1 training a week, like the training postet in this thread a few post´s ahead, and look how it react.

When all goes right, I do 2 trainings a week and so on.

Thx for your tipps and I keep informed all in this thred.

My Status is now:

CoC #2,5 3 times full close no problem

rg

mrA

• 1 month later...

Status Update:

CoC #2,5 three Times Full Close "WITH" credit card setting

CoC #3 - 5 mm ---> 0,2 inch left ... it goes forward

I make now first time strap-hold after the training with the CoC #2 to get more power in the finish. I train only 1 time a week with grippers (all 7 day´s), because I don´t want that the ellbow pain comes back. My bodybuilding routine I do three to four times a week.

rg

mrA

Edited by MrAmerica

Mr Oak,

Your question is quite difficult to answer. You should go through this forum to find the info by yourself and discuss with people who are at the same level of strength (see topic in "COC#3 race" for example).

There are so many ways to achieve the goal of closing #3. :whacked

May I suggest you to write the workout scheme you are following at the present time as a first step ?

Agreed, I believe the best thing for anybody building strength is to try different training tactics and see what works best for them. For example, I've been making tons of progress using a workout similar to the Nathan Holle workout in the Captains of Crush book to progress towards the #3 (I am super close right now to closing it, a mere 1/8"), and my DB OH press is 3x8, while 5x5 on the BP, I do 3 sets of singles with just about every grip thing as well as deadlifting, except chest crushing where I do 3 sets of reps (but I try not to do crazy amounts of reps if I can help it, by the end of the third set each rep feels like a bee stinging the palm of my hand).

When someone asks me for advice, my advice is always to expiriment with different things and see what works best (not over weeks, but months), but I make sure to tell them what I do and explain other things I did while searching for what turned out to be what works for me.

Status Update:

CoC #2,5 three Times Full Close "WITH" credit card setting

CoC #3 - 5 mm ---> 0,2 inch left ... it goes forward

I make now first time strap-hold after the training with the CoC #2 to get more power in the finish. I train only 1 time a week with grippers (all 7 day´s), because I don´t want that the ellbow pain comes back. My bodybuilding routine I do three to four times a week.

rg

mrA

Nice to read some updates ... and see some progress !! Keep it up !

Update:

So, I do now the Gripper training all 4 day´s. But if I feel pain in my ellbow I will return to once a week. I train with grippers only during my bodybuilding routine, because I fell good warmed up and I imagine that I have more power during bodybuilding training.

My Routine now is:

warm up

CoC#1 some reps

CoC#2 3 reps

CoC#2,5 one to three reps

CoC#3 three hard try´s an hold it in the nearly closed position as long as I could

Straps Hold CoC#2 - so long I can with a 2,5 kg weight

Straps Hold CoC#1 - so long I Can with a 2,5 kg weight

cool down

rg

MrA

• 2 months later...

update:

Today I close the first time the CoC #3 - I was very happy about it, because I train in the garden and I didn´t think about to close the CoC #3 ... then I hear the *click* and ... woooooow !!!!

After this I do the CoC #3 for 3 times on the day because now I believe in it, that I can close him every time :D.

No I train the Credit Card settings... I´ll be back ;)

mramerica from austria

A damn good program has also been written by Ben Edwards (Bencrush). It has been published in MILO, December 2007, Volume 15 - Number 3. It's full of good sense and it definitely changed my mind on working with grippers.

Best of luck

I looked into ordering that back issue for Ben's article but the shipping is as much as MILO.

:mosherCongrats on the close, it's nice to see hard work pay off.

No I train the Credit Card settings... I´ll be back ;)

mramerica from austria

I mean NOW I train the Credit Card setting not no ... :unsure

thx you for the concratulations :)

I'm curious about to do the CoC#3 again, so I do something I do normaly not! I train with the CoC#3 again only after a view day´s and I feel not so good today, tired and ...

I don´t can do the CoC#3 so easy as last time,

I do....

1´st try - missed

2´nd try - missed

3´rd try - missed

4´th try - I got it but not so easy as the last time ...

I need more day´s between the trainings, because I also make powerlifting and bodybuilding routine every week für 3 to 4 day´s too, but when I see the grippers I want to try them :D ...

Now I do the next training with grippers in 5 day´s - after this I make 2 weeks no gripper training and the first of the 2 weeks no powerlifting and bodybuilding training to rest and get new energy.

greets

mrA

Edited by MrAmerica

Best of luck

I looked into ordering that back issue for Ben's article but the shipping is as much as MILO.

Did you ask if a digital version is available ?

Best of luck

Did you ask if a digital version is available ?

First off, thanks for the shout-out Joe! Appreciate that and I'm still getting positive feedback about that article almost 3 years later. They should have that on digital download now.

You're welcomed !

I will continue to promote it. It's clear, well written and gives results.

update:

Today I do the CoC#3 again:

after warm up with coc1, coc2, coc2,5

CoC#3 1st try missed

2nd try closed

3rd try closed

4th try missed

5th try missed

Cooldown, end!

Now 2 Weeks no training with grippers and 1 week no bodybuilding/powerlifting training - only rest!

to be continued in 2 weeks ;)

greets

mrA

Edited by MrAmerica