Animal Roars Again !

AnimalCage

• 3 weeks later...

That vacation turned into a much longer vacation than I anticipated.  Feels good to be back into my routine.

Work - BW one leg squats, 2 minute plank, punched boiler tubes for two hours.

Gym - Cardio:  treadmill, stair climber, bicycle

Home - Worked with Trainer, wrist roller.

I'm gonna incorporate the #1 into my training come September.  A bridge month with both trainer and #1, maybe October will be solely #1.

• Like 2

Tuesday was the full-on workout day.  Today was clean the backyard day, so just the standard grip workout.  Trainer feels good.  I am anxious to start working out with the #1 tomorrow.  Haven't touched any gripper except the trainer since I re-started on July 8.  Couldn't close the #2, so I'm curious to see how far this regimen gets me.  The carpal tunnel, the elbow pain...  ahhh, its good to be home.

• Like 2

Well, there we have it.  The #1 is going to be the start of my real workouts.  10 reps both hands.  The step bit was a challenge, but righty was successful, with one reset.  Lefty required a few resets.  The 2.5# straphold for 10 seconds was good righty.  Lefty, I couldn't even close on the ruler.  After numerous attempts, I had to go to the Trainer for a 10 second hold.  So that's what happens after taking 9 years off when you're getting older.  I knew there was an all-around loss of strength, its obvious to me as I pass through my lower fifties.

Now I get to see if its at all possible to recapture my former glory.  I keep repeating "this is not a race", especially at 54.  September is for training with the #1.  Whether I graduate to the #1.5 in October is a big mystery.  I believe it will be a slow incorporation, using both, or all three.  At this point, I won't even think about touching the #2 until New Year's Day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, AnimalCage said:

Well, there we have it.  The #1 is going to be the start of my real workouts.  10 reps both hands.  The step bit was a challenge, but righty was successful, with one reset.  Lefty required a few resets.  The 2.5# straphold for 10 seconds was good righty.  Lefty, I couldn't even close on the ruler.  After numerous attempts, I had to go to the Trainer for a 10 second hold.  So that's what happens after taking 9 years off when you're getting older.  I knew there was an all-around loss of strength, its obvious to me as I pass through my lower fifties.

Now I get to see if its at all possible to recapture my former glory.  I keep repeating "this is not a race", especially at 54.  September is for training with the #1.  Whether I graduate to the #1.5 in October is a big mystery.  I believe it will be a slow incorporation, using both, or all three.  At this point, I won't even think about touching the #2 until New Year's Day.

Figured it was time to check in on you again and see if you graduated to the #1.5 this month.  I'm always more impressed with willpower to take things slowly than going all out right away (like I have a problem NOT doing).  It's getting easier to exercise more willpower as I get older though...recovering from injuries is taking noticeably longer than when I was in my 20s. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have run into the same problems I had 10 years ago...  Too many things pulling me in too many directions.  I started working two jobs again.  I love both jobs, even at my age the desire to learn and grow is powerful.  Last year, I moved from technical to industrial.  Huge shift.  This second job is general laborer for a home improvement contractor, and I'm learning tons.  So that's all good.  Past that, this autumn has been a very stable month temperature wise.  I spent the entire month of September either working two jobs or working on my house (mostly painting).  The last two months have been all work and no play.  Tonight I'm headed to the gym for the first time since the beginning of September.  I've missed everything else I do, but decided grip and playing bass are the two hobbies I want to work on.

Let's see how well I do tonight.

• Like 2

Work is killing me.  No gym tonight, but screw it, I'm losing sleep to do grippers.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, bencrush said:

Figured it was time to check in on you again and see if you graduated to the #1.5 this month.  I'm always more impressed with willpower to take things slowly than going all out right away (like I have a problem NOT doing).  It's getting easier to exercise more willpower as I get older though...recovering from injuries is taking noticeably longer than when I was in my 20s. 

What willpower??  Its only been two months off, I figured what the heck, go for it, right?  10 reps with the 1.5 righty, maybe 4 lefty.  Could only do 4 steps on the drill bit righty, none lefty.  Then, ten reps on the 1.5 righty again, continued with numerous reps and holds on the #1 both hands, and beat up my poor trainer lefty.  I'll have to come up with a regimen for November that includes the 1.5, but I think the #1 will still be the feature gripper.

And, after a 1 1/2 years of not playing bass, that's gonna get beat up, too.  Tuesday.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnimalCage said:

Work is killing me.  No gym tonight, but screw it, I'm losing sleep to do grippers.

What willpower??  Its only been two months off, I figured what the heck, go for it, right?  10 reps with the 1.5 righty, maybe 4 lefty.  Could only do 4 steps on the drill bit righty, none lefty.  Then, ten reps on the 1.5 righty again, continued with numerous reps and holds on the #1 both hands, and beat up my poor trainer lefty.  I'll have to come up with a regimen for November that includes the 1.5, but I think the #1 will still be the feature gripper.

And, after a 1 1/2 years of not playing bass, that's gonna get beat up, too.  Tuesday.  

Sounds like a good return workout to me! 

• 4 months later...

I see you haven't been logged on since November.  But I hope you're still training and staying healthy during this COVID-19 insanity!