Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

On 28-5-2016 at 6:26 PM, Geralt said:

Almost into the third 531 cycle, now deload week. I really like this program Roy and feel this will suit me for years to come. I wonder why I never kept doing this program in the first place, since this approach always felt good to me. My base strength has definitely improved. 

Once I can press pain free again I'm going to start it too. I think it will suit my limited recovery abilities. Are you using the original 531 or the updated 'beyond 531'?
You are also doing it on two days right? Deadlift/benchpress and squat/overhead?

Edited by Royz
spelling

Training may 28th

Another very low energy day. Even though I'm sleeping/eating well this seems to happen more regularly lately, I'm contemplating getting my blood checked to see if anything is off. Still not doing any pressing to let the shoulder hopefully heal itself.

Squat
20x125kg
Did manage to hit my reps on these, but completely spent afterwards.

2HP
10x70kg/ 7x70kg
Still light headed from the squatting...

Supermans on roman chair
5x15x10kg

Machine rows
5x20x80kg
Trying to do a lot of volume on the rows, hopefully this will help balance out my shoulders.

Rear delt machine
5x20x40kg

Incline front raises
5x15x12kg
Supersetted with the rear delt machine.

Tricep french press
3x20x48kg

Bicep barbell curl
3x12x48kg
Supersetted with the french presses.

Edited by Royz
spelling

5 hours ago, Royz said:

Once I can press pain free again I'm going to start it too. I think it will suit my limited recovery abilities. Are you using the original 531 or the updated 'beyond 531'?
You are also doing it on two days right? Deadlift/benchpress and squat/overhead?

Yeah, due to practical 'time management' and griprecovery, I like that most. I want progress, although the main lifts are not my primary goal at the moment. 
When I do a program that I need to perform 4 times a week, I notice I am much more stressed, hope nothing out of the main pattern happens that week otherwise the flow of the routine is lost. Only having two sessions a week is doing very well at the moment. After each main lift I do 4 x 10 reps assistance work for that main movement. When I make sure my food intake that day is good, I have enough energy that workout to still give that last set of each main lift all I have without going balls to the wall. 

Btw, since you trained today, I noticed that there is a high pressure in the air today and a high humidity. Or as we say: 'Loom weer' and that probably also has it's impact. I felt that too in my training this afternoon. Less energy. A bit 'foggy' in the head. Very sweaty in the beginning already.  

Training june 1st 2016

Squats
20x130kg!
New 20 rep pr! However this was perhaps the hardest set of squats I've ever done. I was very humid today, had to take my first breathing pause afer only 6 reps, still managed to get to 20 some how. Have my eyes set now on 20x300lbs(136kg), but that will be for later. Next week I'm going to test my 3rep max to see what my starting point will be for 531.

Rack pulls with Fatgripz
10x120kg/ 8x125kg

Supermans on roman chair
5x10x10kg

Dumbbell row
20x50kg

DU chin ups
10x/ 10x/ 7x/ 8x

Incline french press
3x20x50kg

Some reverse and normal wrist curls

• Like 2

Training june 8th

Squats

up to 3x160kg!
Woohoo nice. Actually had a little bit left in the tank too.

Barbell lunges
5x10x60kg

2HP thin 18mm
10x40kg/ 10x45kg/ 10x50kg

Dumbbell row
30x50kg

Incline french press
2x 15x53kg

Supermans
4x10x12kg

Some shoulder rehab stuff and wrist curls and abs too.

Training june 13th

Starting 531 today. Had a very exhausting weekend so luckily 531 let's you start with relatively light weights. Which were more than heavy enough today.

DO deadlift
top set 8x160kg

Overhead press
top set 8x60kg
Had to lift very slowly becuase shoulder still not healed.

Dumbbell lift with Fatgripz
top set 8x57kg

Did wide grip cable rows and dips for assistance, some shoulder rehab stuff and a bit of biceps.

Training june 16th

Don't know whats up this week. I just feel exhausted. Had a hard time making it to the end of my training.

Squats 531, cycle 1, week1
Last set 10x137,5kg

Bench 531, cycle 1, week1
Last set 12x97,5kg

2HP 54mm block
Last set 13x65kg

For assistance I did: Dumbbell floor presses, horizontal leg press and dumbbell rows. Also did some wrist stuff.

Still good work man, since you only needed to do 5 reps and still managed 10 for the last squat set, same with bench. Solid numbers already heh I am waay behind. 

15 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Still good work man, since you only needed to do 5 reps and still managed 10 for the last squat set, same with bench. Solid numbers already heh I am waay behind. 

True, but I figure if you want to be able to do 4-5 cycles with adding 5-10pounds each cycle you will have to start with relatively high reps. Whatever. Will see how it goes.

3 hours ago, Royz said:

True, but I figure if you want to be able to do 4-5 cycles with adding 5-10pounds each cycle you will have to start with relatively high reps. Whatever. Will see how it goes.

True! Yeah just give it a shot for a few weeks. I like the specific goals that are set for each session where more is better and prescribed is also good. Suits my everchanging daily energy levels very much. 

Well I turned 41 today, so I should change the name of this blog... So far I haven't really been able to get to any of the goals I set out when I started this log, partly due to injury. This sucks, but I'm still in the game... give me a couple of more years.:tongue

Got a nice training related present from my wife too. A pair of 8kg clubbells(see pic). Have been wanting to try those for some time. They actually feel much heavier than I anticipated. Maybe too heavy, not sure. Should be nice to bring with me when I go on holiday. They present a real (endurance) challenge to the hands/wrists amongst other things.

Clubbells.jpg

2 hours ago, Royz said:

Well I turned 41 today, so I should change the name of this blog... So far I haven't really been able to get to any of the goals I set out when I started this log, partly due to injury. This sucks, but I'm still in the game... give me a couple of more years.:tongue

Got a nice training related present from my wife too. A pair of 8kg clubbells(see pic). Have been wanting to try those for some time. They actually feel much heavier than I anticipated. Maybe too heavy, not sure. Should be nice to bring with me when I go on holiday. They present a real (endurance) challenge to the hands/wrists amongst other things.

Clubbells.jpg

Well congrats man. Enjoy your day and nice present. 

3 hours ago, Royz said:

Clubbells.jpg

Happy birthday Royz! Clubbells are a great tool. I just ordered a 25 KG from Fitshop Nederland last week. They have them up to 40 KG. You get only up to 20 KG in Germany. 

19 minutes ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Happy birthday Royz! Clubbells are a great tool. I just ordered a 25 KG from Fitshop Nederland last week. They have them up to 40 KG. You get only up to 20 KG in Germany. 

Tnx Jörg. What the heck are you going to do with a 25kg clubbell?

I do some heavy 2-handed movements. Have you watched Kevin Wikse on YouTube? He works with a 40 KG club! Very inspiering!

• Like 1

Training june 20th 2016

Feeling a bit better, more energy today.

DO deads, 531 cycle 1, week 1
Last set 7x170kg

Overhead press, 531 cycle 1, week 1
Last set 7x62,5kg
Can't press explosively because of my shoulder which is very annoying.

DO barbell hold
170kgx37sec.

For assistance I did; supermans, dips, wide grip rows and rear delt stuff

• Like 1

Not much training this week. Been having some water problems at home because of the heavy rainfall over here. Been dealing with that, so no time to train unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Geralt said:

Ow that sucks. Lot of damage? 

The basement flooded. So mostly some wet items, no furniture. And the washing machine doesn't seem to be working anymore, but maybe will when it has thoroughly dried. Still really sucks though.

Edited by Royz

June 26th

Managed to squeeze in a training session. Been a bit of a draining week with the flooding and all, but had a good night sleep and my energy was fairly good.

Squats 531, Cycle 1, week 2
Last set 7x145kg

Bench press 531, Cycle 1, week 2
Last set 10x102,5kg

Grippers, 1.5" blockset
Last set 15x #2 (right)

2HP, 54mm block
Last set 10x70kg

Assistance: Dumbbell floor presses, Lunges, Dumbbell rows and some levering.

Edited by Royz

On 25-6-2016 at 9:22 AM, Royz said:

The basement flooded. So mostly some wet items, no furniture. And the washing machine doesn't seem to be working anymore, but maybe will when it has thoroughly dried. Still really sucks though.

I understand. Maybe insurance can help a bit in the worst case scenario. 

I saw you do the 2hp work, I need to start working on that too. Nice squats btw! 

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

I saw you do the 2hp work

Wanna win at least one event. This is my best bet I think. :tongue
But working thickbar too and even started grippers again to not be embarrassed too much with those.

Don't forget the farmers hold, I think you have a very good chance on that one too.