Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

59 minutes ago, RTvG said:

Don't forget the farmers hold, I think you have a very good chance on that one too.

I think this is really a dark horse. Could go to anyone. Not sure at all where I stand with this.

I have this with all the implements haha, we'll see. Even I don't know how grippers will fare, because of the time restraint. If would do a max attempt and miss, it will be hard to do another attempt. I am going to implement all the movements into my training and will see. Right now for me, thickbar is feeling good lately, 

Training june 29th

DO deadlift 531 cycle 1, week 3
Last set 6x180kg

Overhead press 531 cycle 1, week 3
Last set 7x67,5kg
Shoulder still not 100%, but getting better.

DO barbell hold
180kgx35sec.

Dumbbell lift with Fatgripz
Last set 4x64kg

Assistance: Supermans, bodyweight dips, wide grip cable rows and some curls.

• Like 1

How do you like the general feel of the program sir 

Edited by Geralt

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

How do you like the general feel of the program sir 

I believe I do sir. I really like the low volume approach for the main lifts and I also like the down to earth approach for assistance. Have to wait a couple of cycles and see if any true progress will be made...

• Like 1

Training july 3rd

Squats 531, cycle #1, week 3
last set 5x152,5kg

Bench 531, cycle #1, week 3
last set 7x110kg

Grippers 1.5" blockset
last set 9xghp5 (right)
Luckily still have time to up my gripper game for the competition in october.

2HP
last set 8x72,5kg
Still going well.

Assistance: Dumbbell floor presses, walking lunges, rear delt raises, levering and wrist curls.

• Like 1

Training july 7th

Currently having a bit of trouble with pain on the inside of my elbow (golfers elbow) of my left arm. So far it only hurts with rowing/pulling motions, so I've ditched those for now and started doing some rehab at home. Hopefully I will be able to get rid of it before it aggravates, have had this a number of times before.

DO deadlift 531, Cycle #2, week 1
Last set 10x165kg
Pffff high rep deadlifting is the worst!

DO barbell hold
165kg x 50sec.

Overhead press 531, Cycle #2, week 1
Last set 10x62,5kg
First time I was able to do a set with good speed again! Shoulder is getting better.

Dumbbell lift with fatgripzzz
Last set 3x67kg
Nice! My best ever I think.

Assistance: bodyweight dips, rear delt work, supermans, curls and some abs.

Sucks, my lower arms also feel beat up. Vacationperiod is near, so that's a nice time for stepping back physically also, providing you take some time off from work, that is. 

Btw, I have started using - yes I know - straps during regular training with some exercises. I figured since I train my grip already more then enough, regular DL-ing and other regular trainingstuff, only causes more stress on my lowerarms and adds not much more than that. So far I like it in terms of both recovery and more focus on the musclegroup itself, instead of also focusing on gripping hard. Few Euro's at the Decathlon, can't go wrong. Maybe this can help you also to give your lowerarms a break. 

Edited by Geralt

I wil look into the use of *gulp* straps Geralt. Tnx.

Luckily my two week vacation starts next week, so my arms can get some rest.

3 hours ago, Grind said:

Wel heel blijven Roy!

Yep. Stupid thing is this is not really from training. Two weeks back I did some 'monkey hand over hand swings' while at a kids playground with my son. Immediately felt I probably did something stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Training july 24th

Well back from my little two week vacation. I really never feel 'rested' after a vacation so I was dreading this training a bit. Turned out everything went fine, except fot deadlifting which truly was dreadfull.

DO Deadlift, 531 week 1, cycle 2
Last set 5x165kg

DO barbell hold
165kgx52sec.

Overhead press, 531 week 1, cycle 2
Last set 12x62,5kg

Dumbbell lift with fatgripz
Last set 8x60kg

And for assistance: Romanian deadlifts, weighted dips, inverted rows, rear delt work.

• 2 weeks later...

Training 1st of august

My grip and body where very tired today. Been doing manual labor in the garden from friday to sunday. Carrying 250 20kg bags of soil throught the house to the garden amongst other things. Even thought I've been training all my life it's painfully clear I'm still a soft bellied city boy and can't really handle manual labour for hours on end.:blush

DO deadlift 531, cycle 2, week 2
Last set 4x175kg

DO barbell hold
175kg x 30sec.
This is where it showed most that my grip wasn't up to par today.

Overhead press 531, cycle 2, week 2
Last set 10x65kg
At least this went well. Getting my pressing back up.

Last set 6x63kg

For assistance: weighted dips, romanian deadlift, inverted rows, rear delt work, some levering and some ab stuff.

On 2 augustus 2016 at 11:23 AM, Royz said:

Training 1st of august

My grip and body where very tired today. Been doing manual labor in the garden from friday to sunday. Carrying 250 20kg bags of soil throught the house to the garden amongst other things. Even thought I've been training all my life it's painfully clear I'm still a soft bellied city boy and can't really handle manual labour for hours on end.:blush

DO deadlift 531, cycle 2, week 2
Last set 4x175kg

DO barbell hold
175kg x 30sec.
This is where it showed most that my grip wasn't up to par today.

Overhead press 531, cycle 2, week 2
Last set 10x65kg
At least this went well. Getting my pressing back up.

Last set 6x63kg

For assistance: weighted dips, romanian deadlift, inverted rows, rear delt work, some levering and some ab stuff.

Yet you showed up for a workout. Sounds like fun btw those soilwalks lol 

16 hours ago, Geralt said:

Yet you showed up for a workout. Sounds like fun btw those soilwalks lol 

Oh damn you and your positive thinking...:angry:

Yep the soil walks where fun, but not as much fun as the 'wheelbarrow filled with bricks and walk 300 meter with it walks'.

• Like 1

August 4th

Squat 531, Cycle 2, week 2
Last set 4x147,5kg

Grippers 1,5" blockset
Last set 10xghp5(right)

Bench press 531, Cycle 2, week 2
Last set 10x105kg

2HP with 54mm block
Last set 10x72,5kg

For assistance: Dumbbell floor press, Step ups, some levering

August 8th

DO deadlift 531, Cycle 2, week 3
Last set 3x185kg

DO barbell hold
185kgx35sec.

Overhead press strict 531, Cycle 2, week 3
Last set 5x70kg

Last set 3x67kg

Fort assistance: Weighted dips, Dumbbell rows, Inverted rows, EZ bar curls, Wrist curls and a nice finishing medley for abs and conditioning.

August 11th

So far 531 seems to work far better for pressing than for squats and deadlifts (for me). I think this is due to the fact that I often just can't summon the energy to do a true AMRAP set at the end for squats and deadlifts. I'm still easily hitting my target reps for squats and deadlifts, but I have to up the ante a bit if I dont want to have to already reset my weights when I reach cycle 4-5. With pressing I feel I can keep going up to cycle 7 or possibly 8, but maybe my starting weights where a bit more conservative too with these...

Squat 531, cycle 2, week 3
Last set 3x155kg

Bench press 531, cycle 2, week 3
Last set 7x112,5kg

Grippers 1,5" blockset
Last set 4x#2.5 (125ish)

2HP 54mm block
Last set 8x75kg

For assistance: step ups, dumbbell floor press, dumbbell rows, rear delt, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and some levering. And a finishing medley for abs and conditioning.

15th of august

DO deadlift 531, cycle 3, week 1
Last set 8x170kg
First time in a while that deadlifting felt solid again, not great, but solid.

DO barbell hold
170kg x45sec.

Overhead press strict 531, cycle 3, week 1
Last set 11x65kg

Dumbbell lift with fatgripz
Last set 8x62kg

For assistance: weighted dips, romanian deads, inverted rows, reverse curls, some levering and a finishing medley for abs and conditioning.

Training august 18th

Squat 531, cycle 3, week 1
Last two sets 7x145kg/ 5x145kg
My spotter was a little bit overenthusiastic on my first set, so that ended up being very easy.:blink But I wanted to add a second heavy set anyway because I feel I'm not getting enough volume for my legs. My squats strenght seems to even be going backwards a little bit.

Bench press 531, cycle 3, week 1
Last set 14x102,5kg
Pressing is really going well at the moment!

Grippers 1.5" blockset
Last set 10xghp5 + hold

2HP with 54mm block
Last set 15x70kg!
Surface prep and hand prep is 50% of the work with pinch it seems.

For assistance: Dumbbell floor press, barbell step ups, dumbbell rows, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, some levering and a finishing medley for abs and conditioning.

• Like 1

I give you a like for this workout sir. No serious, 14x102,5 is good stuff brother! 

Your squats are also strong bro. I must say that the 531 approach for now, also doesn't seem to do much for my squatstrength also, at the moment. What I do after squats however, is single leg rear foor elevated squats while holding the squatrack for balance when I get tired and this absolutely fries my quads for assistance. I really have this funny walk when I return from the garage. I also removed the deadlifts from my training, had to leave some stuff out to not get burned out by the end of the week and if I want to progress on grippers and such. Choices. 

Royz, do you know what Joker Sets are? I think that the original 5/3/1 has not enough volumen at higher intensitys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Geralt said:

I give you a like for this workout sir. No serious, 14x102,5 is good stuff brother! 

Your squats are also strong bro. I must say that the 531 approach for now, also doesn't seem to do much for my squatstrength also, at the moment. What I do after squats however, is single leg rear foor elevated squats while holding the squatrack for balance when I get tired and this absolutely fries my quads for assistance. I really have this funny walk when I return from the garage. I also removed the deadlifts from my training, had to leave some stuff out to not get burned out by the end of the week and if I want to progress on grippers and such. Choices. 

Tnx dude pressing going better than expected at the moment.

Sounds like your describing bulgarian split squats. Never tried those, might be too hard on my knees though. Since last week I've added step ups which have been usefull to me in the past.

16 hours ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Royz, do you know what Joker Sets are? I think that the original 5/3/1 has not enough volumen at higher intensitys.

Yes I've read about those Jörg. I want to be very carefull with those because I really like the minimal approach of the original 531. In the past I've always been the guy who thought more was better and this gave me gains in the beginning but also loads of injuries. Would have been better of doing less. For now I'm just going to add one heavy set to my squat sessions and see if that does the trick...