When do you wear wrist wraps?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. When do you wear wrist wraps?

• Never
    • Everytime I lift
    • When doing strongman or Oly lifting
    • When I am having wrist problems
    • Just when going really heavy

I have recently had 2 wrist injuries and was wondering if you guys wear wraps, and if you do, when?

I haven't worn them for awhile but lately I have started again. Only on my heavy squats PL style because the lower bar kinks my wrists pretty good, on log press just because I don't want to worry about that - just the clean/press, and in competition just cause youre going all out and I don't want to drop out because of some little injury (save it for the big injuries!). As long as you are working your wrists there is no reason I can see for not wearing them sometimes, just like straps. If you are working your grip and the partial deads are too much for your grip, throw on some straps. Just don't go the BB route and use em on curls and such. Good luck with those wrist injuries.

The only time i would use wrist wraps are in a strongman competiton. Personally i don't really feel any bad pressure on my wrist in the benchpress, overhead press or squat, but then again i am still throwing around baby weights.

I use wrist-wraps often. Always have, always will. For two reasons. I do a lot of curls and Wrist-curls. I also like to grip heavy twice a week. There are times when my hands hurt from gripping and it would interfere with my heavy curling and wrist-curling. So I use straps to keep the hands from suffering injury. During periods when I am not gripping so heavily, I don't have use them. If I hurt my hands and can't do my job, or my work suffers because I did something stupid in the gym like not training smart, then it's not fair to my boss and it could cost me my job. Training smart comes first over what others think. Hope that helps ya.

Sixgun....

I never have, but I wouldn't be opposed to it in competition.

I use them on heavy presses

Olympic lifting beats the hell out of my wrist, and I don't like that. Luckily I got some ATP wrist straps in a freebee grab at the NASS IL Record Breakers competition. Very happy with them, but I don't use them on anything else except snatch squats.

I use straps for heavy RDL's and heavy Shrugs.

I use wrist wraps when I am training strongman for the log, axle - also when {I used to} bench.

No reason to sacrifice your full-body potential by swearing away wraps and straps, in my opinion. Besides I work my grip every day I lift.

-Jedd-

I only really use straps for when my wrists are sore from heavy grip/forearm training other than that i dont really use them anymore

• 2 months later...

I have never used wrist wraps until I lost a clean and severely sprained my wrist. I use the wraps now but when my wrist is 100% I'll probably stop using them.

I used to think it was kinda wussy to wear them, but in Svend Karlsons training dvd, he wears them for all his lifts. If he wears them, I don't think anyone can call them girle. After watching it, I decided to use them on lifts where I am going heay enough for under 8 reps, and ones that put a lot of stress on the wrists. I spent my whole summer thinking my wrist would be better for a strongman comp and then having it hurt to much when training specifically for it. Better safe than sorry.

A local guy at the gym- whom Wade Gillingham once described as having "some of the strongest wrists in the world"(paraphrased)uses wraps quite a bit.

Uses straps to.Thus...I figure...why not?

IMHO,No sense in getting hurt- trying to be a tough guy... or trying to prove a point.... by not using them.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I used wrist wraps today when I did thickbar curls, and I was able to do more than ever with no pain, and my wrists still felt like they were worked hard. I did not wrap them as tight as I would if I was doing a set of clean and presses, so I still have to have a lot of wrist strength. I also noticed that svend never even took off his wrist wraps, I would assume that he does not wrap them tight at all cause when mine are real tight, its uncomfortable to not take them off between sets.