Videos Of The 2004 Europeans

FrankyBoy

193cm get you another inch Arne - that's 6'4"!

193/30,48=6,3320 :mellow

Edited by Arne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• The Mac

• FrankyBoy

193cm get you another inch Arne - that's 6'4"!

193/30,48=6,3320 :mellow

Damned units. :laugh

12 inch = 1 feet

So 0,332 feet are 12*0,332 inch = 3,984 inch.

Awesome clips ! Nice reporting It was like being there! Congrats to all, some very impressive feats! :rock I have to say , Liz and the one hand lift, AWESOME! Since I am always looking for new ways to train, has Liz always set the gripper that way, I have never seen anyone do that. Anyway great job everyone :bow ! Mike

For some reason, I have the fact that 193.04cm = 6'4" locked in my head!! :erm

1"=25.4mm=2.54 cm

1' = 12x2.54= 30.48 cm

193/30.48 = 6.332

For some reason, I have the fact that 193.04cm = 6'4" locked in my head!!  :erm

1"=25.4mm=2.54 cm

1' = 12x2.54= 30.48 cm

193/30.48 = 6.332

For God sake Arne, give it up please. :whacked

For some reason, I have the fact that 193.04cm = 6'4" locked in my head!!  :erm

1"=25.4mm=2.54 cm

1' = 12x2.54= 30.48 cm

193/30.48 = 6.332

For God sake Arne, give it up please. :whacked

Mikael, I was deadly serious now. :D

nice clips, inspiring to go train

I set the gripper the same way as Liz. I like it because no finger gets in the way of my crushing hand.

Thanks for the reply David, and congrats on the triple bwt. lift, very impressive! :bow Mike

I've watched some of the gripper closes, Florians and Liz's, and I see that they do what I do in training - touch the spring - sheesh if that's allowed I can do a lot more than a 3.5+, same with setting of the gripper. Any GGC rules I need to worry about?

Steve, did you not notice that live while you were there? I hope that is not some people's idea of setting, as I could get a #4 that way!

I've watched some of the gripper closes, Florians and Liz's, and I see that they do what I do in training - touch the spring - sheesh if that's allowed I can do a lot more than a 3.5+, same with setting of the gripper. Any GGC rules I need to worry about?

:calm

Rewatch the clips!!!

Flo was just setting the grippers in his right hand by holding it on the spring.

He then released the setting (left) hand with the handles at parallel and waited for the go from the judges.

The judges recommended not to not wait that long before the actual close attempt. But he continued to close the grippers that way the whole grippers event.

I guess that most here agree that doing it that way is significantly more difficult than just blow trough after the set and thats absolutely independent from the set technique used.

OTOH I saw one competitor bracing the set against the leg.

It's a big difference to the way I do it - check the video you took of me. Holding the spring AND setting it helps a lot. I set mine but only in so far as getting my hand in a comfortable position.

Oldguy short answer - no. I didn't stand so close to the gripper closes, I rested mostly and this was, as per the report, the longest and most boring part that (including the beginning of the pinch) made us change the rules.

I also noticed, even though I ought to have before, the very wide position that some use to shorten the range on another movement (not saying too much don't want to lose any possible advantage) :D

I must say I disagree with the fact that this way of setting is easier than others. it all depends on when you release the gripper with the setting hand.

MOb: I see what you mean on the range of motion, but I am not sure it makes such a difference, as you have already lifted the apparatus fairly high.

In the contest it was required not to set the gripper deeper than parallel.

Exactly like the MM cert. rules.

So its no difference how it is set to that depth if the crush starts after the set.

Discussing the videos last week Flo and I agreed that especially you used a very wide set before the actual close. But this was not the point.

The rules were changed at IM because of overly narrow sets. Anyone that uses it must feel that they gain an advantage else why bother? Therefore I will give it a spin and see if I can raise my game. I'm not knocking those that use it - just taking notes and using a tactic I've not used before.

Holding the spring while setting the gripper has always been allowed in the LGC competition, as long as the handles are not closer together than parallel when the helping hand is removed. I would not say this way is exactly superior to any other setting method in general. I do not use it as I do better with other ways of setting a gripper. As long as the setting is slow enough for the judge to determine that it was not beyond parallell it is fine. Also, if it is done very forcefully, it will hurt your performance when you switch to the other hand. Your lefty will suffer. Most guys at the LGC are holding the spring while setting. I do not and have won the gripper event more times than anyone else in the history of the LGC competition so there you go.

In the LGC rules, you are not allowed to place your feet further away from the weights that about 10-15 cm in the RT and two hand pinch. This rule does not appear to have been in force at the Europeans. It would however, perhaps be better using a wooden block of a given height (maybe 20-30cm) that everyone had to clear in RT and pinch (like we use the 5cm block in the v-bar and one hand lift). Otherwise tall lifters with short arms will be at a disadvantage.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

In the contest it was required not to set the gripper deeper than parallel.

Exactly like the MM cert. rules.

So its no difference how it is set to that depth if the crush starts after the set.

Discussing the videos last week Flo and I agreed that especially you used a very wide set before the actual close. But this was not the point.

Florians way of closing a gripper was very strict. Anyone pissing on his gripper performance need brain surgery. :flame

Holding the spring while setting the gripper has always been allowed in the LGC competition, as long as the handles are not closer together than parallel when the helping hand is removed. I would not say this way is exactly superior to any other setting method in general. I do not use it as I do better with other ways of setting a gripper. As long as the setting is slow enough for the judge to determine that it was not beyond parallell it is fine. Also, if it is done very forcefully, it will hurt your performance when you switch to the other hand. Your lefty will suffer. Most guys at the LGC are holding the spring while setting. I do not and have won the gripper event more times than anyone else in the history of the LGC competition so there you go.

Another outcome of holding the spring while setting can often be seen in the next event, the pinch. Unless the hands are washed VERY thoroughly after the gripper event, the small but nonetheless present grease/oil on the hands will hurt your pinching performance significantly. Same with the v-bar. I would personally never hold a spring in a LGC-style competition for these reasons as well.

I hope that is not some people's idea of setting, as I could get a #4 that way!

Really, holding the spring with your helping hand forcing it down to just above parallell (to be certain of a white light from the judge), removing the helping hand and then proceed closing it with your right. So you can do this with a #4? I think not.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

In any case I have always thought that using the other hand to help close a gripper is a form of cheating unless done by those with very small hands. As for white lights and judges that has nothing to do with me. Only I know my ability with grippers, and I have never needed to set one. On the subject of brain surgery, I think anyone who is deadly serious about grip training could not be helped even by that. Maybe a certification for the grip insane is called for? :D

Only I know my ability with grippers, and I have never needed to set one. On the subject of brain surgery, I think anyone who is deadly serious about grip training could not be helped even by that. Maybe a certification for the grip insane is called for? :D

You have said in the past that there was no difference between your closing ability using a deep set or a no set. I have good memory as any borderline autistic would have.