New Training Idea For Thick Bar

Rick Walker

I am still going after that Inch. My official date with destiny is the evening of September 17th. Whether I pass or fail with him, I know I have increased my strength a ton. I will leave nothing in the tank and not worry about saving myself for the next days GGC. All that matters is me and the Inch...

Today, after I did 5 singles with my Ted's Shed bar loaded to 145, I tried out a new exercise I have had my eye on for awhile. I will attempt to explain it the best I can:

Take a piece of PVC pipe near 2.5" in diameter and fashion a wrist roller out of it. That is, drill a hole through the center and attach a rope or cable.

Now, rack an empty barbell about belly button high in a cage. Slide it so one end is right close to the cage uprights and the other end is hanging over. Now, put a 45 pound plate onto the end hanging over.

Slide the wrist roller as far as it will go onto the other end of the bar. Get a cinder block or a box to stand on so when you extend your arm down in front of you, you are grasping the very end of the wrist roller. (You will need to rack it high and stand on a box if using a loading pin)

Now attach weight to the wrist roller via a loading pin. Grasp the thick, slippery PVC at the end hanging off the bar in one hand, and do a wrist curl with it. The weight should spin the pvc towards your thumb. The idea is to not only hammer the wrists with the curling motiong, but to train the thumb hard resisting the spin of the hanging weight.

I did 5 sets of 8 with each hand and found 75 pounds to be tough. Excellent workout. Hit my wrists and thumbs so hard, I had trouble doing rolling handle pullups afterwards. I could only do triples!

Give it a try.

Rick Walker :rock

• 3 weeks later...

HI RICK JUST JOINED UP AND HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN GRIP FOR YEARS I READ YOUR WORKOUT AND IT SOUNDS GOOD . ME AND MY SON TRAINED FOR THE BLOB BY LIFTING IT WITH TWO HANDS AND HOLDING IT BACK WITH ONE AFTER A WEEK MY SON WHO IS 19 CAN NOW PICK UP THE BLOB TO HIS WAIST I CANT DO IT YET BUT ITS COMING SOON WE TRAIN ON HEVY DUMBELLS AND JUST BOUGHT A INCH DUMBELL WELL HE TRYED AND LIFTED IT ABOUT A INCH BUT WE ARE GOING TO TRY IT THE SAME WAY LIFT WITH 2 AND HOLD BACK WITH ONE ANY INFO OR HELP ON GRIP WE ARE INTERESTED EMAIL ME AT GRIZ390@MSN.COM THANKS AND GOOD TRAINING DAN PRAYDIS .SR