Strongman Training

Jeff Parker

I used to train strongman twice a week, doing 3 events on each day, doing 2 to 4 sets of each event. It wasnt working out as good as I wanted it to so I changed to doing 6 events, but only 1 or 2 sets per event. My question for you guys that train strongman is how often do you guys practice the events? What has worked best for you?

Here is my Split

Monday

Deadlift- 5x5 Alternate with lowerback events every other week

Rows-3x6 any kind of row will work

Cleans-3x3

Thickbar hold-3 sets to failure

Tuesday

LogPress-5x5 Alternate with thickbar clean and press every other week

Seated DB Press-3x6

Thickbar Curls-3x8

Thursday

Squats-5x5

Yoke Walk- 4 or 5 sets

Friday

BenchPress-5x5

CloseGrip-3x6

3 BoardPress-3x6

This split has worked great for me, by alternating events and deadlift everyother week you stay strong on both gym lifts and events.

4 times a week may be a bit much for some people, but i'm only 17.

Check out my log to see how it works for me.

The more basic the better

My workouts are usually Lower Body, Upper Body, Lower Arm, and Olympic lifting (total body). Obviously these can run together, especially with strongman events. I usually try to got with a theme for a strongman workout. Say I work with my farmer impliments, I will do about 3 or 4 working sets with those and may move on to one handed deadlifts with them, deep parellel grip deadlifts, strapped deadholds, or one handed farmer walks. Notice the conjuntion or, not and. I will usually move on to neck work then and duck walk my farmers back to their rut in the woods fairly quickly. My lower body workouts are subdivided by lower back emphasis (stone work usually) and thigh emphasis (carrying stuff), and with my upper body the focus may change from chest (brick or barrel lifting) to shoulders (overhead pressing). The antagonist of the afore mentioned muscles are always worked with equal zeal. Most of my lower arm work isn't strongman specific, it's for personal accomplishments and exercise favoratism.

I tend to do 2 days in a row, one day rest, then 1 day, rest then repeat with each day being a different body area worked. I'm a low volume trainer though.