Bending V Folding

gazza

What did you think of Clay's bend?

He is folding it, what else do you want me to say?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• SHRUG

• Bill Piche

What bending competitions are these? I am unaware of any bending competitions past or present. If for some reason nal bending is included as part of a grip competiton, I am puzzled as it is not a grip event.

Allround fore arm competitions where bending makes up the wrist event (Europeans, Dieselcrew's comp). Sorry if I don't expressed myself clear enough.

I have competed in a competition called the Tactical Strength Challenge - a three event competiton comprised of weighted pull-ups, weighted single leg squats and maximum repetition Kettlebell snatches - all of the events were performed with the 32kg kettlebell.

I won the first TSC and placed second at the next one.

See tacticalstrengthchallenge.com for details.

No grip competitions.

What is your weight? I am on the light side of things as well (around 175-180 lbs.)

It is great that you have had some success in competition but that is not a green light to deminish the accomplishments of others - it is rude and ignorant - just because something is not done "your" way - it is not less of a feat.

Clay's bend is no joke and until you step up I would leave it be - and you didn't mention what you thought of my bend.

Brett

What is your weight? I am on the light side of things as well (around 175-180 lbs.)

It is great that you have had some success in competition but that is not a green light to deminish the accomplishments of others - it is rude and ignorant - just because something is not done "your" way - it is not less of a feat.

Clay's bend is no joke and until you step up I would leave it be - and you didn't mention what you thought of my bend.

Brett

I weigh the same. In the past I have congratulated Clay on more than one occassion. I don't think he has ever said a kind word about me. I will check the LGC competition thread in December last year. I am sure he congratulated us. Surely.

I can be rude, yes but at least you get what you see. I am not worse in private conversations. I usually don't bad mouth people behind their backs.

Congratulating someone and then insulting that accomplishment is not a great way to endear yourself to someone.

Congrats but what you did is a joke - does that sound like a good way to communicate with people?? :blink

And most of what I have seen you post has been argumentative - have you posted anything to be congratulated on?

You don't like the double overhand style - fine - you don't want it to be the wrist event - and if it is your event you can decide that - otherwise - the guidelines established by Pat are how we bend - period.

Brett

And most of what I have seen you post has been argumentative - have you posted anything to be congratulated on?

Yes, results of gripstrength competitions in which I participated and performed feats of strength that some of you may find hard to duplicate (more than bodyweight in two hand pinch, more than bodyweight in Rolling Thunder). I don't really need a support group but you asked the question.

Being relatively new to the board I had not seen any of those - Congrats on your accomplishments in those events.

For the two hand pinch - what was used? Two 45# plates with a bar between them to add plates or something else?

Interesting event.

I am going to order an RT handle soon - haven't had a chance to work with one yet.

I respect straight talk but you can talk straight and not be argumentative or insulting.

Brett

For the two hand pinch - what was used? Two 45# plates with a bar between them to add plates or something else?

Interesting event.

Two 15 kg plates with a bar and extra weights.

If I do it myself, my post will be edited, so...I believe our friendly neighborhood mod needs to have a little one on one talk with a certain member about his attitude. Nowhere else on this board do we see this type of negativity. Its BS and it needs to stop.

Regarding the padding/wrapping issue.

Alot of the challenge bar certs were done with one large towel as the padding,certainly the ones i witnessed as well as my own were,there was lots of shit over this again mostly by one person saying that people were pulling the bars down with the towell,now that people have mostly done away with the one towel/cloth and switched over to 2 cloths they are being accused of pushing/folding the bars.

People have different hands/pain tolerance/jobs etc.

I have worked most of my life on and off in construction so my hands are quite tuff,some other people sit behind a computer to earn a living,is the person who works on a computer all day going to have hands as tough as mine if we both start grip together,i would bet that i could bend with less padding to start with than the other individual,then there are people like Big Steve who have very thick hands again someone like him is going to be able to get away with less padding,then there is individual pain tolerance,some people are just mentaly tougher than others and can just bare the pain more,Pat is a prime example,then there are the novises and people who have not been bending or doing grip for long are these people also expected to use just minimum padding.

Competition and certs are were the padding needs to be standardized,no were else as again it is just for fun outside of comps and certs.

Dr.Strossen is happy with people to bend a red with the ironmind pads and unbraced within 1 minute,he does not say people are folding reds and its his cert.

As i pionted out once before to many people worried about a bit of cloth when the bars themselves are all over the place.

You bend yourway.we will bend are way,if we compete then we will adhere to the rules of the given comp on the day,until then let us enjoy the way we bend/train and congratulate each other,you just go and compete in your comps and bend/train how you like.

Its BS and it needs to stop.

Yes, the 2300 odd views in a day or two certainly indicate that you are all fed up with it. You find these posts absolutely irresistible. I don't know why but you do. Why do you torment yourselves reading my verbal diarrhoea?

Yes, the 2300 odd views in a day or two certainly indicate that you are all fed up with it. You find these posts absolutely irresistible. I don't know why but you do. Why do you torment yourselves reading my verbal diarrhoea?

Its like a train wreck.

I've also read Mein Kampf. That doesn't mean I enjoy Hitler's politics.

I've only skimmed most of the threads on this topic. Partly because it's too much to read, but mostly because I can get the gist by reading the first five posts in any of these threads. But one thing still confuses me... does the problem lie in using lateral pressure or does it lie in using thick padding (whatever the material used) when doing it?

Whatever the technique, and whatever the exercise or event, people will try to find the path of least resistance, while staying within the rules. That only makes complete sense to me. For some this is what some call 'folding' (I just call it double-overhand) for other double-underhand, and for yet others, an alternate grip. If someone finds that they can bend much better using one style over the other is that 'cheating' or 'cutting corners' or have they just found the technique that works best for them?

I have had the privilege of witnessing two people in that last 10 days Certify on a Red nail. Both bent double-overhand, both used the required blue kevlar pads and bent in a manner in accordance with the rules. Congratulations to Jeff Peterson and Brett Jones. It's a helluva feat! You're both very good benders.

BC.

Mikael, if you could force everyone on here to use a certain bending style, what style would it be? What style meets all your requirements?

I decided to handle this a different way. However, there will be no more downplaying people's accomplishments and personal attacks.

Thanks.

There's no conspiracy. This is even open again. I've talked with the mods and the understanding is as long as things don't get personal and no threads are hijacked, things can go on with discussion among the gentleman of the GripBoard. :)

We'll be a little more heavy handed (ONLY if necessary!) in this specific forum to make sure things keep on track.

Heavy handed - is that a (unintentional) pun or what?

On another note.

Just finished training v bar and two handed pinch and my ego popped up and recalled something Mikael said in reply to my 'so how much can you do?' question. Part of the reply included 'over bodyweight'. 'Ahh', my ego says, 'don't we all?' I weigh 113 kilos-115 kilos (about 250-254 pounds) and with the rare exception most of my efforts exceed my bwt in lbs as do most Captains of Crush. Nice thought eh? And there's me thinking he's strong (his c bar work with 270 I am still aiming for mind).

On the subject of c bars and gripper training. I have had, for three weeks now, a nagging pain in the (excuse spelling) brachiradialis (I think) every time I do bending. Any more than three serious efforts and I think it fills with blood and the fascia (sack around the muscle) is fully pumped, kinda like shin splints. Even gripper work agrivates it and I have stopped, as of yesterday, all c-bar and gripper work for one week to see if this helps. This leaves me with a fraction over 2 weeks before the European - can anyone suggest how to fix/cure it??

Take time off and do deep tissue massage. I had a similar experience right before BFGS. I didn't train 2 of the 3 weeks before the contest due to an nagging injury. I still set PR's across the board.

I am VERY glad to hear that - I'd hate to waste all that effort. I have been rubbing in a Neurofen gel and will do some more later.

Anyone else and also how did it occur / does it happen?

train harder your bending and grippers!!!!

no, seriously, you should be ok for the comp if you avoid the painful lifts, and do the usual massage/ice/hotcoldbaths stuff. there isn't much time left anyway and you will not lose any strength till then.

see you there.

Part of the reply included 'over bodyweight'. 'Ahh', my ego says, 'don't we all?' I weigh 113 kilos-115 kilos (about 250-254 pounds) and with the rare exception most of my efforts exceed my bwt in lbs as do most Captains of Crush.

Actually, I think the number of Certified Captains of Crush that can do more than their bodyweight in strict style in the RT is very small, even if a well used handle is used. I have not heard about any Europeans other than ourselves that can do it, although David Horne came close at the LGC VII.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Mikael, you're very strong to be able to pull bodyweight or over on the RT. Same to you Mob. The point about most COCs not being able to pull bodyweight on the RT is interesting. Again, I think it would depend a lot on their bodyweight. Obviously the lighter they are the easier it would be (relatively speaking) for them to pull bodyweight on the RT. Mob's pull of bodyweight and above is fantastic. As is yours, but I think you would agree that the heavier they are the more impressive it is. It might be interesting to poll all of the COCs on the board and find out once and for all what everyone can pull on the RT relative to bodyweight. Just a thought.

Fully agree. Mobsters results on the RT are outstanding. My best is 95k (with a 1-2 second stop before lowering it) or 209lbs at 83k (183lbs) bodyweight. I have a videoclip of a 90k pull but I don't think Wannagrip managed to convert it (QuickTime-film).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Fully agree. Mobsters results on the RT are outstanding. My best is 95k (with a 1-2 second stop before lowering it) or 209lbs at 83k (183lbs) bodyweight. I have a videoclip of a 90k pull but I don't think Wannagrip managed to convert it (QuickTime-film).

No, I couldn't. My conversion program puked every time I tried it.