Bending V Folding

gazza

With the many styles of bending there are it may be impossible to standardize and judge the event?

Perhaps just standardize the cloth or pad that is used?

That and the object being bent are the only things that are easily 'judged'

i.e.everybody that will be certifying or competeing shall  bend with a:

a standardized terry cloth towel of "X" size and "X"thickness

a standardized piece of denim  of  "X"size and  "X"thickness

a stzndardized piece of soft leather pf "X"size and "X"thickness

a standardized piece of cloth no larger than SHRUGS boxer shorts :laugh

decide upon one type of cloth or pad.At one thickness.At what length and width.

Then have someone 'source'it out-find the best price- have dozens or hundreds cuts and someone sell them.

If the type of bending/folding is still controversial...at least the cloth and the object bent CAN be consistant.

Additionally:

Type of bend allowed would be determined by:

A.Certifying organization or company(as in Iron Mind)

B.Promoter of the contest

Sort of like strongman...?just be strong.Be ready.In strongman:you might get an 18 inch deadlift for MAX with straps allowed.

OR

A true deadlift off the Floor for reps.

OR

A thick bar deadlift for reps

OR

A trap bar style deadlift of a vehicle for reps

OR

A deadlift of a vehicle held for maximum time.

This is the many versions of the 'deadlift'that might show up..depending on the promoter or whomever makes the rules.

Other events in strongman come in numerous variations and or 'versions'.

Not a bender my self.I've bent some rebar over my head and braced with my neck is about it,broke baseball bats over my leg...but I guess?smae object being bent and same type and size of cloth.

EDIT: :erm for all I know these rules for th cloth size ARE already in place.But it seems to be an issue.....that could be a non issue.

The styles and types of bend.I have know idea...but should be left up to the 'powers that be'.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• SHRUG

• Bill Piche

I get that some leather can be considered "ethically" wrong to use, and some cordura too, but can you give any more specifics? Is 8oz suede okay to use, and 10oz vegetable tanned leather not? How about oil tanned? Buffalo? Elk? Is 1000d ballistic nylon acceptable while 1680d is not?

To me, trying to label every variation of every wrapping material is fruitless. And nobody here has the authority to make us not use a material. Now, if you're sliding pipes over the end of the bars I can understand that! I have tried a lot of bending wraps, from mechanic's rags to towels to cordura to ballistic nylon and finally leather. Each one has reduced the pain in the palm of my hand a little more than the next and I have gotten to the point where the pain is no longer a factor and I can bend with much more intensity and confidence without fear of slipping and having to pull a 60d out of my palm

Bending was never ment to be pain-free. Why not use gloves as well? Pain is good and should be your friend. How do you cope with the wonderfully painful vertical bar lift? This constant search for pain-free bending is turning the whole thing into a joke. What was is Armstrong said about pain?

There's a difference between coping with the pain and preventing injury. I've put my share of nails into my palms and left plenty of blood on my bending rags. That doesn't make me want to do it again, and I don't feel like having calluses for palms or killing my nerve endings

Bending was never ment to be pain-free. Why not use gloves as well? Pain is good and should be your friend. How do you cope with the wonderfully painful vertical bar lift? This constant search for pain-free bending is turning the whole thing into a joke. What was is Armstrong said about pain?

Refer to my prior comment about kicks to the nutsack. It's about pain mitigation, not discomfort elimination. The discomfort should come primarily from the exertion, not from the implement. Bend barehanded if pain is the goal. Someday you might even be able to bend a yellow that way.

Edited by CMunger

Mikael - if you are setting up a grip contest - feel free to establish your own rules - until then - leave it alone - you profess to have this impact on the bending world and you quite simply do not - so leave it alone.

Padding is about protecting the hands - period - the IM nylon pads have become my only bending pads but everyone can settle that for themselves.

Got RED????

Brett

HA!! Please bend a couple of timber ties for us 'raw'. No wraps, no gloves, no pads. And please take a pic of your hands afterwards. If it hurts don't worry, because 'pain is good and should be your friend'. Remember what Lance said afterall......

Go back through these 6 pages, an amazing thing occured. It actually got productive and constructive at some point IMO. People are (in general) debating not flaming, and pushing for well thought out answers to very vauge arguements.

Now reread Clay's post, he actually makes a point and explains why he prefers thicker materials, and how its fruitless to try to restrict the exact material used. Your answer, which is replicated in numerous posts, is to dodge and avoid. You ignore the spirit of his post, and give an answer so sarcastic and absurd that you know the thread will degenerate until someone manages to restore it. WHY?? Don't whine about locked posts, work with people who are trying to talk.

Reread his last sentence. That's what we're all talking about. You're pissed that people figured out how to push hard on the ends of the bar, but have no suggestions on how to specifying wrapping that works for douber over, double under, or any other combo except 'pain is good'. In what sport do people train to get injured??

Again - what is your best effort?

Permanently damaging the hands, deadening nerves in order to bend nails, is about as intelligent as staring at the sun more and more each day until you go blind. Your hands are precious. Bent nails are not. Protect those hands. :calm

To me, trying to label every variation of every wrapping material is fruitless.  And nobody here has the authority to make us not use a material.  Now, if you're sliding pipes over the end of the bars I can understand that!  I have tried a lot of bending wraps, from mechanic's rags to towels to cordura to ballistic nylon and finally leather.  Each one has reduced the pain in the palm of my hand a little more than the next and I have gotten to the point where the pain is no longer a factor and I can bend with much more intensity and confidence without fear of slipping and having to pull a 60d out of my palm

Mr Clay, do you really think that I, in a major rush of egomania, am trying to change everyones way of bending just to satisfy an ego bigger than life or could it be that I am trying to work out a compromise that would suit most people interested in competition bending. I get PM's from guys telling me this should not be allowed and that style is not legit etc. etc. Most people intensely dislike being exposed to critisism, especially a one-sided one. I am used to it through my work though and can thus cope with it better than most, so I do, at times and to some extent, take the heat for other people. Perhaps IM's pads would be an acceptable compromise for example.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

...but best would be to ban overhand folding as it is something of a joke.

...but best would be to ban overhand folding as it is something of a joke.

I am no bender, but people continue to ask you to put up and you avoid it. If it is a joke, let's see you bend red after red with this technique. Put it on video. :calm

Are you avoiding the question?

I see Steve is thinking the same thing I am. And, probably countless others. ;)

Simple question really.

By the way, Mikael, what did you think of Clay's Red Nail cert bend?

And try not to degrade again into personal attacks, although you just did a blanket one in a post above. Which is why I asked the question again.

I think it was a fine display of upper body strength but that it should not be allowed in competition bending where bending constitutes the "wrist" event.

What specific question?

Mikael,

Step up! If bending double overhand is easy - start folding away and beat us at our own game!

Your repetitive focus on this is getting tiresome and insulting.

Quit avoiding the questions and step up.

Bending is bending - follow the rules of that Pat has established and get to bending.

Brett

BTW - for anyone under the impression that bending a RED is not a feat of strength - remember only 14 people in the World are "recognized" as having done it. It is a great feat of strength.

Edited by BJones

What bending competitions are these? I am unaware of any bending competitions past or present. If for some reason nal bending is included as part of a grip competiton, I am puzzled as it is not a grip event. If it is to be regulated and called a wrist event, again why would it be in a grip contest? Certification is another matter. Has anyone failed to certify for reasons other than failing to bend the red nail?

Mikael,

Step up! If bending double overhand is easy - start folding away and beat us at our own game!

I will. I like challenges and, pound for pound, I am stronger than most of you realise.

The questions -

What is your best bend?

What did you think of Clay's bend?

If your only concern is that bending not be the Wrist event - then we agree - Bending is a feat of strength that transmits a great deal of stress through the wrists but does not test the wrist alone.

But that is up to the organizers of the meet. I for one would love to see a bending competition - (Sept. maybe??) But it is with the understanding that different styles will be used and the best bend wins!

The only joke is that you are fixated on this.

And since I bend overhand - was my 6.5" RED bend a Joke?

Brett

And I look forward to the video of your "preferred" bending style.

Edited by BJones

What specific question?

Rightttt... :cool

The 'what is your best effort with any bar?' type question I have posted three times now. I'll take lb for lb if it's not too good.

What specific question?

Rightttt... :cool

The 'what is your best effort with any bar?' type question I have posted three times now. I'll take lb for lb if it's not too good.

I have never tried a red nail. I have done a 270k bar but have since bent harder uncalibrated stock.

And I look forward to the video of your "preferred" bending style.

I have nothing to prove. Unlike most of you I have fought against some of the strongest in the world in competition, including David Horne and Benny Wennberg and won some events in spite of being the lightest competitor. What have you done in competition?