Im Black Nail

MikeP

Seems to be alot of posts about needing a tougher level to bend. I would propose the IM black nail be a 6" red. That ought to keep most of the seriously strong busy for awhile. Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe we can put together a petition and send to Randy. I think by going with an existing size just shorter it would be easier/cheaper than coming up with another size. Just take some reds and hack off an inch, spray paint the ends black, done. Also, kind of goes along the same pattern as the white to blue...

Make it 5 1/2''. One inch difference is too small. A short bar would also make it extra tricky for all the folders out there. Not impossible but tricky.

1/2 inch by 12 inch. I seem to remember Brookfield bent one like that before.

According to "Ironmind", Dr. Strossen's book, the good doctor is facinated by the ideas of higher standards of human potential. I will go on record as saying we will see a new nail color before 2005.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone who owns Reds buy a Red nail that has been cut down an inch and has black spray paint on it? This is assuming that the majority of Black nail customers would be people capable of bending the Red or are reasonably close and thus have already purchased Reds. I love the idea of a harder nail to test the great benders out there but I think it is a poor business choice to make it the same diameter as the Red. Strossen may love the grip game but he also has a business to run and I don't see him putting out another nail the same diameter as the Red since he wouldn't make much money.

jad - What you missed is that there are a lot of people still interested in an Iron Mind certification. I'm not quite sure why, but they still exist.

Mike M.

SuperSqueeze,

Doesn't IM send you the nails you certify on to insure you haven't tampered with them? For example, if I'm going to certify on the Black nail can't I just bend some of my cut down Reds then email Randy when I'm ready, and he'll send me or the witness the nails that I certify on. I thought IM sent Shrug the nails he certified on.

Edited by jad

Well the blue nail has the dimensions of a 60 penny nail, the red a 70 penny nail, so lets keep it going and make a brown or black like an 80 penny nail.

I say make it 5/16th square CRS seven and a half inches. Suterp's idea is more realistic though.

I'd like to say that I (think) was the first person to call "it" the Black Nail. You can email me your credit card #s and i will deduct fees as appropriate for the royalties.

I also said the Black Nail should be 7" by 3/8" but a 6" by 5/16" should be good. Actually, a 7 x 5/16 is red, a 6 x 5/16 should be a Purple Nail and the 7 x 3/8" should be the Black Nail. All crs, of course.

Oh man, I kick ass....

MEAT

Edited by Meat Loaf

Jad,

IM yellow is 7" 1/4 and blue is 6" 1/4, same kind of deal. The only reason you couldn't do that is the certification process. You could train on cut reds, like everybody doing that now, but then to cert you would have to buy real blacks.

Also, aren't all the other nails 6 or 7"? thats the only reason I didn't say, like 5.5". You could always do a purple, aka 6" red, and then do a black, aka 7" x 3/8". That would provide enough to keep even the baddest dudes busy awhile.

I say let those who did the red decide what the black should be, should be 97% impossible anyways.

IMO (and it's only an opinion)

there should be two more nails before the Black: the silver and the gold, a square stock variation could also be a possibility.

Silver should be in the area of 7 x 3/8th HRS

Gold 10 x 1/2

Then the black for some Sadistic reason would be a SHORT SHORT bend...5 inches at what ever thickness would make it about 10% stronger than the gold. Close hand placement would make an odd difference.

Just felt like rambling, this would keep people working for years upon years. I personnally dont think that the black should be obtainalbe but by a palm full after YEARS and YEARS of bending.

Edited by Darco

I love IM; however, if this is a Gripboard idea than fu^( 'em.

We can set our own goals.

The potential on this board is greater than any company.

-HH

I'm going to calibrate a 5/16x7" grd 5 bolt to see how it compares to the Red. David Ostlund mentioned this steel as one of his goals. They should be fairly consistent in strength. I'd like to cut the heads off, personally. They roll up better that way. I suspect this bolt may keep the best of 'em busy for a while.

Jad,

You could train on cut reds, like everybody doing that now, but then to cert you would have to buy real blacks.

Mike,

Yeah... that's what I'm saying, I don't think IM would put out a product that the majority of people out there would only buy to certify with. Suppose tommorrow everyone on the Red list was ready to certify on a Black nail and there were 20 more guys ready to cert by the end of the year, that's what maybe 32-35 guys that would buy black nails to certify with. That just doesn't seem like enough demand to justify a new product. As far as certification how much do they charge to send a person a couple of nails? Regarding the yellow and blue nails, they are part of a training kit and I didn't know you could purchase them separately. For example, if you could purchase yellow and blue nails separately and you had a good supply of yellows left but they had become too easy would you really pay for blues or just cut down your old stock(I know you're well beyond both of these)? I love the concept I just think they'll go with a different thickness. The best idea I've heard on this thread was to let the Red benders decide :rock

Jad,

Check this out: By that same rationale they shouldn't have made a #4 gripper either. Nobody could close it when it came out. It was just something to shoot for. When it was made, i don't think that too many people (men, that is...sorry ladies) were evn closing the #3! They have sold like a milliom #4s

MEAT

Fair enough Meat but you can't just hack an inch off of your #3 and have a #4.

There are two different companies offering Inch replicas and how many people really buy those? It's feasible to produce a product that only appeals to a select few and has limited uses.

Edited by SqeezeMasterFlash

The entire grip market only appeals to a select few in comparison with other fitness equipment. Niche markets are one thing but Inch Replicas can't be made from existing and probably already purchased products with a couple of minutes work. I'm talking about true Inch replicas not trainers. I don't think they would sell very many Black Nails not because people couldn't bend them but because people wouldn't shell out dough for cut down reds. It would take A LOT of black nail sales to equal one Inch replica, depending on the mark-up.

Don't the majority of benders figure out pretty quickly that cutting your own steel at the hardware store is cheaper than IM nails? And even with that taken out, IM still sells nails. When I get strong enough to make a run at the red I won't train with lots of reds, I'll train with 5/16" crs from the steel store. I'll buy reds right before I'll try to cert to make sure I'm able to bend the real thing. I think that's what most benders do. Correct me if I'm wrong, just my opinion.

I agree with you. Like you said you'll just buy some to Reds to certify with so is it safe to assume when you're ready for the "Black" nail you'll just buy some to make sure your'e ready and practice with cut Reds or cut Red clones. I think most of the IM nail kit sales are to newbie benders or with those who have enough money they just don't care because as you said most people figure out pretty quickly that getting steel from the hardware store is cheaper. By the time individuals are ready for the black nail they'll hardly be newbies and won't get suckered a second time. Just my opinion, whatever the dimensions of the "black" nail I just can't wait to see what the elite benders can do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Porkbone, Meat Loaf, and I spoke with Randy yesterday about a tougher nail than the red and he said that they would be coming out with one, but didn't elaborate on the details. I would like to see it as 3/8" x 7" CRS, or even 6".

If it is 3/8ths it would have to be some easy steel if it's going to be humanly possible. Otherwise, Terminator will be the only one on the list :tongue

Seriously, what about just 5/16 square stock? Has anyone bent even an 8" 5/16 square?