Europeans Workout

the swiss

I thought I'd post one of my workouts in preperation of the europeans.

I have started specializing on the european lifts about a month ago, and have just started doing a "comp" workout

every week. This was my second such workout, and revealed a breakthrough.

1) grippers: close my #3 righty with minimal set. very close lefty (1-2mm). No real progress on the grippers for a long time now, but

my motivation on these hasn't been as important as on other events. My #3 is an easy one, probably around 2.8.

my goal at the comp is to close a #3 righty and a 2.8 lefty

2) pinch: on my 2' device, I lifted 73kg and tore a chunk of skin of my thumb :whacked . my best on my device is 75, but I think 80 is reachable in one

month's time. No idea what to expect for the comp, as different devices are really incomparable, IMO.

3) Vertical bar: strange lift for me. I had not been doing it for a long time due to wrist pain, and started it about 3 weeks ago. I seemed to

have very slow progress on this and kept hitting around 125kg with each hand (knowing that the first time I tried the device, I got around 120kg!!).

Well, this time things changed. I came up to my usual 125kg poundage, and missed it righty. Pissed off, I immediately tried it again without putting

any more chalk, or resetting my hand properly. The weight came up easily. wow. I tried the "careless" grip with my left hand, and the weight also

came up easy. so I started adding weight. 127 came up. 130 came up (this was already a PR righty). 135 came up (!). At that point I was really excited.

When I get in that state my body usually convinces me to stop in some way. Some time its injury. This time I was lucky. I lifted 137 lefty, and tore a

piece of skin of my ring finger. So much for my left hand. Lets try righty. Got 137 up, but also tore a piece of skin at the exact same place on my ring

finger :whacked .

That is a HUGE pr: 20kg more on my total. I have not really figured out exactly yet how it happened: different technique? skin texture, dry hands? hot hands

and bar, from the several tries in a short time? time will tell.

goal for the comp: at least that (137 each hand).

4) one hand lift. at that point my hands were relatively painful. warmed up with 160 and 180kg, and then got 200 (no belt) each hand. put on my belt and got

210kg lefty but missed with my right. small hole in my right hand skin, little blood.

goal: 215 each hand, or maybe 220.

I only did 4 tries in this event because I wanted to try a particular nail after that.

5) bending. probably my favourite lift. very irregular bending this year due to strained index fingers. started bending hard again about 2 months ago, and

have been progressing very nicely, bending a 5.5' grade 5 bolt, and some other hard swiss nails.

Strangely enough, I decided to attempt a PR bend. And even more strangely, I got it!! It was a 230kg CRS challenge bar cut 1' shorter. The bend was

suprisingly easy, and I could probably have bent a 1/4 inch shorter nail.

My goal is a 255 or even 260kg bar for the comp. (Mobsterone here I come ;) )

As a note, my best HRS bend is a 237.5 challenge bar. I definately lack pec power for these nails.

So, despite the blood and the lost skin, this was an awesome workout.

Any other competitor care to share workouts and goals for the comp?

OldGuy: I have bought my one hand lift apparatus from David Horne, and the vertical bar from Mikael and Arne. The pinch appartus is strictly sîmilar to that used in the BGC, only mine is made of wood.

I can probably take some pics if you want, only it will take time as I have a traditional camera and need to scan my pics.

David: thanks, my primary goal now is not getting injured before (or at!) the comp!

d

Edited by the swiss

3) Vertical bar: strange lift for me. I had not been doing it for a long time due to wrist pain, and started it about 3 weeks ago. I seemed to

have very slow progress on this and kept hitting around 125kg with each hand (knowing that the first time I tried the device, I got around 120kg!!).

Well, this time things changed. I came up to my usual 125kg poundage, and missed it righty. Pissed off, I immediately tried it again without putting

any more chalk, or resetting my hand properly. The weight came up easily. wow. I tried the "careless" grip with my left hand, and the weight also

came up easy. so I started adding weight. 127 came up. 130 came up (this was already a PR righty). 135 came up (!). At that point I was really excited.

When I get in that state my body usually convinces me to stop in some way. Some time its injury. This time I was lucky. I lifted 137 lefty, and tore a

piece of skin of my ring finger. So much for my left hand. Lets try righty. Got 137 up, but also tore a piece of skin at the exact same place on my ring

finger :whacked .

That is a HUGE pr: 20kg more on my total. I have not really figured out exactly yet how it happened: different technique? skin texture, dry hands? hot hands

and bar, from the several tries in a short time? time will tell.

goal for the comp: at least that (137 each hand).

Great v-bar lifting! This lift used to drive me crazy with its inconsistency until I started using large amounts of chalk. After that the variations were much less and I produced consistent results (within a 5-7.5k interval each hand). Very impressive if you can duplicate those lifts in competition. My best in comp. is 287.5 @ 82k bodyweight.

OldGuy, a pic of my one hand lift set up is viewable here (pic taken from the last comp, Vincent Launay in action) . I use tractor weights.

Mikael: thanks. I agree. I also think the state of the bar, the hands, and the moist can make quite a difference. we will see. I just hope I can get this magical "careless" set again!

MAybe although I have not noticed any difference between humid summer conditions and dry winter conditions, provided lots of chalk is applied to the hands. The Rolling Thunder handle on the other hand is very sensitive to changes in humidity.

Time for some Wrestling style trash talk - close but no cigar!! The Swiss should stay at home or bring some hankies :cool

Feel free to click on the Steve Gardener links on this companies page to see some training photos taken this week and at Grip comps etc. In the ones with the blue polo shirt (taken this week) the guy who was meant to take the photos couldn't make it and so I roped in a guy at the gym. He missed me deep on the leg press (my legs do go to at least 90 degrees on the super heavy ass weight set) and standing fully erect with the 1012 and not 1035 as cited - it is done but I am only just clear of the hooks.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/strongman_st..._photo_pictures

Re your lifts - seriously they are close to mine - but I am just ahead... :D

Yep, fraid so. There's no point blowing out my knees in old age to brag I did it without wraps.

Yep, fraid so. There's no point blowing out my knees in old age to brag I did it without wraps.

IMO, leg wraps are used to lift more weight, period. Not protection. It's the age old excuse of "protection". Just my 2 cents.

I didn't ask for opinions on how I leg press, be that with or without wraps. It was put up for you to look at and to give 'the swiss' something to chew on - for fun.

It doesn't go that deep. Indeed on most of the old style 45 degree machines I can get it right to the bottom and still come out of the hole. None of those are heel to butt. I also prefer a wide stance which might explain why I can go deep without heel to butt. The most I have done, some time back was 480 kilos / 1058 lbs. I do prefer the safety, security and yes extra weight that the reps allow me. On Ronnie Coleman's latest DVD he does 2250 lbs, feet fairly close, wraps on from 1800 to 2250 and stops a little short of 90 degrees. So I have a way to go.

What about others here, with or without wraps - tell us what machine, style (wide or narrow), depth and any other relevent info.

I do beleive that's called Squatting. The old-fashioned way of leg pressing was, at one time, a cover image on Hardgainer. The weight was balanced on the soles of the feet. But as you aren't called 'the swiss' and I'm not lifting against you...

I've seen some old pictures of that method. Looks pretty tricky. Some bad balance with a big weight could lead to a certain unpleasantness...

Before I started training at home, I used to workout at the Y and tried a great many other gyms too. Over the years the Y had different leg press machines including Cybex Lifefitness Hammer and even a vertical leg press. I alway found legpress easy and non productive. No pump even with a lot of weight and knees to the chest range of movement. No knee wraps at all have never wrapped anything and do not even use a belt. To me the thing that works the legs is shrugbar lifts from a 6" platform and of course squats.

Nice.

I differ in that it is for me quite productive I do get something from it and anytime I went over 400lbs on the Squat my weak lower back kicked in. If I warm up well and stretch my back pre leg press I get no problems at all. If I want to blast my legs I do triple drop sets.

I also enjoyed 'the swiss's' pics and clicked quite far back - looks like a competition. I will say that there will be quite a difference in the wooden block pinch as opposed to the apparatus we will be using.

That said, other than myself, I don't think anyone else here - that has posted so far - is, as per his request, going to be lifting against him. My intend, in posting the link to the images, wasn't to offer everyone a chance to pass comment, but was to show 'the swiss' some images designed to get him training hard. As he is quite close in poundages to me it gee'd me up in my training tonight.

The squat vs leg press argument is well known and very, very old as is the straps, no straps and 'how deep' etc comments and arguments. I'd prefer to talk grip - not claiming to be the worlds best leg presser or that I have the strongest legs here or at least to keep the post between those that are competing in Europe soon.

Whatever happens, trash talk aside, it will be cool to meet so many from so many countries. I hope to do the same with the Global Grip Challenge come September when I arrive in the States to collect some more trophies :D Good luck to all.

Awesome bending Dave ! It's a pity i work like a dog : i'll never catch up.

Great job, really. I will make it to the europeans, for fun of course and to make people smile with my skinnier than ever frame and my jaw dropping light lifts :cry:cry:online

By the looks of things I am the only one, with sponsorship thanks goodness, who will be travelling from the UK to the US for the comp there.

As for the European? I think I have very chance of coming back with a medal - the winners one?? Not yet, but a place, quite possibly. For London - oh yes!!

Mob: I was refering to bending, when I said "Here I come": I have been making progress parallel to yours in bending.

I know you will beat at the comp (specially grippers, pinch, and OHL), my goal is to keep up with you in bending, although I think you probably have a bigger potential for progression. what style do you use? I have always used to "old Pat" style, as you call it here.

As for the apparatus used in the last swîss comp, I know it is very different than that of the europeans; I am not training on it anymore, but have switched to a closer one.

OldGuy: the height of the ring may be adjusted to the lifter's convenience, as for the IGC and europeans. the goal is to lift the weight 5cm.

thanks for your comments (and trash talk, if I had skin left on my ring fingers, I'd go lift right now!)

Amaury: its great that you come!!!

Edited by the swiss