Gripboard Grip Bash Vl: Official Rules

EricMilfeld

TIME:

0001, August 9 through 2359, August 16, Central Standard Time

EVENTS:

Monkey Grip Deadlift:

Perform a deadlift using standard rules of performance, with a double overhand, thumbless grip. The bar may stop during the lift, but must not be lowered at all until the completion of the lift. Don't support the bar on your thighs. After initiation of the lift, the knees must not re-bend until the completion of the lift. The knees must only continue to straighten from the initiation to the completion of the lift. Stand erect with the shoulders back, knees locked, and hips forward at the lift's completion. The thumbs may contact the bar, but must not oppose the fingers. The bar and plates must be standard olympic style. The bar's sleeves must rotate independently of the bar itself. The bar must be placed on the floor for the starting position. Sumo deadlifting is permissable. A lifting belt is allowed.

GRIPPERS:

Close the highest rated Iron Mind gripper you are capable of closing, for one or more reps. You may set the gripper using your free hand up to the point where the handles are parallel to each other, but not beyond that point. If you manage more than one rep, open the gripper to at least the point where the handles are parallel to each other between reps. The free hand may not contact the gripper or any part of the hand or arm closing the gripper, after the initial set. The following poundage will be awarded for a close of the various IM grippers: Trainer-100, #1-140, #2-195, #3-280, #4-365. The following poundage will be awarded for each additional rep completed with the various grippers: Trainer-1, #1-2, #2-3, #3-4, #4-5. For example, 3 reps completed with a #2 gripper would yield a score of 201 pounds. (195 pounds, plus 3 pounds multiplied by 2 additional reps equals 201 pounds). If a poundage greater than that awarded for closing the next most difficult gripper is achieved by repping, than the lifter will be awarded only the poundage for closing the more difficult gripper. Perform with both the right and left hand, scoring each individually.

Plate Pinch:

Using both hands, pinch grip two metallic plates, with the smooth sides facing outwards, clearing the ground by atleast 3 inches and holding for atleast 2 seconds in the completed position. Additional weight may be added by a means of your choice, provided that the additional weight is balanced between the front and the back of the two plates.

One Hand Clean:

Using any of the various styles, clean with one hand, a standard olympic bar and plates from the floor. Once the bar leaves the floor, no part of the bar or plates may contact the floor thereafter. The free hand and arm must not contact any part of the bar or plates at any point during the lift. Hold the bar in the finished position for atleast two seconds before returning it to the floor.

PM Results by Example:

Eric Milfeld (Gripboard nickname here if applicable)

monkey grip deadlift 350 PR

grippers right hand: #2x5 reps/left hand: #1x20 reps

pinch 145 PR

one hand clean 105

Additional Notes:

Only regular gym chalk may be used as a grip aid. Report all lifts in pounds. Include the weight of the loading apparatus that is lifted with the plate pinch. Designate any personal records you set by placing a "PR" next to the lift in your e-mailed results. Your PM's must reach me by 2359 Central Standard Time on August 16th. And as always, enjoy yourselves as you compete with a spirit of integrity and camaraderie!

Grip is still a limiting factor, though, right?.?

Plus, I think it was agreed upon that it would be a one hand anyhow to the shoulder?????

-Jedd-

Yes, it's any "anyhow" lift. I don't really know if grip will limit me personally, but it is one of the events that was voted in. With my poor form, wrists may end up being the limiting factor. We need atleast one "fun" lift, don't we? :D:happy:tongue

Should I not include it as a vote option anymore?

NO, keep the lift. It will be fun, i was just stating my observations.

So does one hand anyhow just mean clean it to your shoulder anyhow u can?

So does one hand anyhow just mean clean it to your shoulder anyhow u can?

Yes, any which way you can, within the rules of course.

Looks like fun. I need to get around to remembering to enter in one of these eventually. :blush

I forgot to mention in the rules for the one hand clean that no hook-gripping is allowed. ;)

Sounds good Eric, I'm interested to see how the monkey deadlift feels as I have never tried that one!

Jon@han

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind, got two different dates messed up.

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

Maybe a stupid question... but.... in returning the bar to the floor for the 1-hand clean do we need to return it to the floor with one hand? For me anyway, this can be harder than the lift itself.

Is there sign ups or anything of that sort? My bad if I missed it somewhere

Mark, you may return the bar to the floor by any means of your choice.

Kurt, there's no sign-up. Check out the rules above, if you haven't already. Basically you just perform the lifts at some point within the scheduled week, and then PM me your results. Top five finishers get a certificate of achievement, at no charge.

Cool! i wont make top 5 but ill be sure to try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Questions

Must you complete all the lifts in any amount of time or even all together? Can you do 1 lift per day or must they all be done in one session? Will the total number of pounds determine the overall winner? Must you do the lifts in the order presented or can you mix them up? Is this "word is bond" and only a POS would cheat or do we need video to back up any lifts? I don't think that is needed but just want to ask, I'll video mine anyway just for my own records. I'm sure I'll get planted in all these lifts anyway. Sounds like fun though.

Mike

Mike, I don't think it matters how you break up the lifts so long as you do all of them during that week. My understanding is that you can do one per night, all of them every night, or whatever.

Think I'll finally get off my butt and do this Bash too. I'm especially anxious to try the one hand clean and monkey grip deadlift. I just got my #3 back too.

Clay's right. No proof required. Anytime, anyplace, any order within the week. Enjoy!

I know one thing. You'll smoke me on the clean, Mike!

So when you go for reps on twice the gripper I've got for 1 it should all even out, thank god you didn't throw in chins w/100# extra or anything, you would smoke me on that.... Now I'm a little concerned about Clay too, this should be fun. Lets do it. :rock:rock

Now I'm a little concerned about Clay too, this should be fun.

I too am a little concerned about Clay Edgin's intent to compete. Hmmm... Oh, that reminds me. Did I tell you guys about that new rule I drafted, forbidding those over 6' 4" and 350 pounds from competing?

Damn!

Help, help, I'm being repressed!

In the interest of fairness since Clay is about as tall as my wife on my shoulders and weighs more than both of us together, I think we should add my wife's lifts to mine for a total. ??? Of course with her size 4 ring finger and massive hands, probably about 6", I don't think she'll add much. What do you guys think a good lift will be on the monkey (gorilla!) deadlift? I've never tried it that I can think of, but I ought to be able to do a little above body weight cause it would be like a thumbless chin.

Whatever extra points you gain with your wife helping will be about the same amount of points you lose for having 8.25" hands so it's your call! :laugh

The monkey deadlift will be interesting. I've done a few pulls this way unintentionally when I start to lose the grip. I think 400 would be a pretty good pull.

I've never tried the monkey deadlift, nor the one hand olympic bar clean. But 400 sounds like a very good pull to me.

As sidenote, Mike and I pressed palms together (briefly) and discovered that our hands are about identical in length. Mine measure 7 3/4". The sad part is that despite our hands being the same length, I'm about 4 or 5 inches taller.

Yea, I don't think mine are quite 8.25" I may have been screwed up cause I measured em with a piece of string then layed it on the scale on my scanner. Depending on which crease you go by I think ours (Eric & I) are about 8" even. Yea, I'm not quite as tall as I hoped. My mom says the doc told her I'd be lucky to be 5'5" (don't know how he got that) but she says I willed myself to 5'8"....sucks too, I was this tall in 7th grade and my coach thought I was going NFL, never grew another inch. Did put on about 100lbs though....Oh well, at least I got my family's hands. I need to get a pic comparing hands to my gpa, his are same length but WAY thicker. And mine are fairly thick. Years of work.

I think I will try 315 and see how that feels in the monkey DL. I would think anything in the 300's will be good and 400 would be very nice.

For pinch anything in the mid 100's would be fine with me, I've never tried it before. Will stick my 2" loading pin through 2 45's for extra weight.

Anything in the 160 to 200 range will be a good 1 arm clean I think.

I want to try a PR in the grippers, like #2 for 4 or so good full reps would be great.

We are adding L & R scores together for the grippers, right?