Question For The Benders

Bill Piche

I am no bender.

So, it's up to you guys.

Lately new red bends are being posted. I expect there will be more to come.

Do we lock the posts due to Rule #4?

I would say no. Not to take anything away from any red bender out there, but I don't feel that bending a red qualifies as a world class feat. I think red bends are going to pop up more frequently now that more people are getting involved in bending, and learning the best techniques for bending. In terms of difficulty the red in no where near that of a #4 close.

i have to agree, the red is a great feat, but not equaling a #4. i think that a cut red, down to 5'' would be equal to a #4. pat or JB seem most likely to get this.

I think it should depend somewhat on the context.

If someone just announces out of the blue that they have bent a red then I would lock it.

When you get guys like Clay and Brett the situation is a bit different, they have both been working toward it for months and their progress has been followed through the easier stock (grade 5, grade 8 etc).

I think with bendings current popularity the Red will become a #3 level feat rather than a #4 or world class feat. (not to detract from those that have bent one, its still awesome!)

Lock the thread. It's still world class as few have done it. Not only that, it may encourage more videos of the best benders bending. This could only help advance technuiqe.

As someone guilty of this I will go with what the board decides.

I am going to get video of a bend this weekend and get it to Wannagrip ASAP and I will be contacting IM very soon to certify.

Since only 12-14 people are "recognized" as bending a RED - it is still a feat.

And as Old Guy said - exceptions weaken the rules - just couldn't wait to share my success with the board.

Brett

...I will be contacting IM very soon to certify.

Be quick before it is too late (harder nails and/or changed rules; the latter perhaps being the most likely scenario).

I say enforce #4. The board has a long established tradition of requiring proof by video for most feats. If someone claimed to close a #3 wouldn't they have to provide proof? Is a red bend less prestigeous then a #3? That being said, does anyone really doubt that Clay has really bent a red? Probably not, but video is not that hard to provide so I say lock the posts and wait for the video.

Brian

I'm in favor of locking the posts. I certainly beleive Clay and Brett both bent Red's, but rules are rules. While the Red isn't the world record anymore, it's certainly still world class. Maybe someday it will just be the benchmark of an accomplished bender, but for now it is far enough beyond the reach of not only normal men, but of most of us here, to be considered world class.

The vote was going with 50/50 so I decided to take the direction of the original rule. If we find the list growing to 100, then we'll not lock them. ;)

A world class feat should have world class proof to back it up. I believe these guys whole-heartedly that they have bent red nails. Because we know of their other feats of strength, they will have no doubt have little trouble providing proof of the feat. That's a tough situation, because you want them to share the news immediately for inspiration and because they are proud of their accomplishment.

I think in the long run, sticking to that rule of locking world class hand strength feats without proof will be most beneficial. This will prevent any "Joe" from coming on here and claiming to have done all the things that are touted as world class feats of strength without having the proof in hand.

Again, congrats to those that have recently bent the red. Proof or no proof, I believe it happened and I'm anxious to see some video of you guys demolishing the red. :bow

Wow. :mellow

I cannot believe people are actually saying a red nail bend is not a world class feat. This has to be some kind of joke.

To those who do not think it is world class: are you bending reds? If you are, is it a max effort?

Even if the list rises to 100, it is still world class. 100 out of billions of people is world class. And, unlike a gripper, I would bet you would be hard pressed to find many freaks of nature out there who do it right off the bat. There are some, but not many.

If I was a red bender, I would almost be insulted by that remark.

Everyone I have watched bend a red certainly looked like they were giving it their all???

I say, lock it down. It IS world class.

Rick Walker :rock

RED = tough

GRIPBOARD = Best grip athletes in world

RED bent by GRIPBOARD members - gonna grow

Rules are Rules

world-class (wûrldkls)

adj.

Ranking among the foremost in the world; of an international standard of excellence; of the highest order: a world-class figure skater.

Great, as in importance, concern, or notoriety.

I'd say bending the red is still "world-class". I would say the same about the #3 CoC as well, even if the list of closers has taken off in recent history.

Rick when i joined my new consulting firm a month ago i was around 160lbs, not very strong in the upperbody but i was closing the gap to the red rather quickly (kinked a red and bent a 247.5kgs bar with 1/2" off center in front of David Hurzeler). Bending a red is something hard but not worldclass. Rather like closing a hard #3. Now i'm working 70hours a week and only managed to bend a 230kgs bar recently but hey... :cry

I believe everyone that has said that they have bent a IM Red

nail. I enjoy reading everyones accomplishments. But I guess

by the rules, you ought to lock it.

I say lock it if they post it in any forum but the workout one. It is still a world class feat but I think they should be able to record their workouts as accurately as possible. It would be silly for them to write "attempted 3 red nails: need video". Everyone who reads it knows what they're inferring. Anybody that was going to lie about bending them wouldn't do it there as it is not as likely to get read. Congrats to all the new RED benders and I hope this inspires more video as it's very inspirational and helpful to the rest of us.

You guys are losing it if you think bending a red nail isn't world class.

-Jedd-

You guys are losing it if you think bending a red nail isn't world class.

-Jedd-

Let people who can do it decide. The rest of us can only imagine! To me it is staggering.

I've been noticing this for a while now and I was wondering what was going on with rule #4 here. I'd say inforce it. Even if the red is not the #4, it's at least a #3 and that skill credits rule #4.

Only on the gripboard would that last sentense make any sense. :happy