Saturday Training Session

Rick Walker

Jedd and Smitty arrived at noon yesterday to pick up some stones I made them. Of course, we turned into a monster training session.

Log press: I sat this even out. I have to do the axle clean and press in August at the MD Strongest Man contest, and I am fighting some rotator problems, So I just loaded, played camera man, and provided some motivational cursing.

Jedd smoked a PR of 280-pounds. It was so damn fast to lockout that it was erie. :erm When his form is dialed in and on, he will be good for well over 300 pounds. Not bad for a dude that weighs in at 255 or so. He gave 285 a valiant effort many, many times, but it was not to be.

Smitty has 225 all but lockout a number of times. Again, just some form modifications and he will be good for much more. I took a shot at it myself, but missed. The log is a weird ass implement.

Farmers: Jedd and Smitty both have to do a one armed farmers event in July. Damn stupid event if you ask me, but that is the meet promotors decision. Jedd walked 260 with 1 arm pretty damn easy. Smitty took 210 for a ride, and even got a few steps with 260. Very impressive considering the surface they were walking on :yikes

I sat this event out to. Again, not something I have to do in August, so I didnt do it.

Stones: ahhhh, finally.

We had 4 of them- 257, 277, 320+, and 360. The 360 stayed grounded. No one budged it. Another day. :angry: Jedd says "No way that things is going on a shoulder" ;)

We took turned attacking the stones until we were wasted and falling onto the ground in a breathless heap of flesh. Jedd and I both high chested the 320-that was a huge pr for me. Smitty made a number of damn good and fearless attempts at it. Once, he even had it in his lap, but as he prepared to chest it, he lost his balance in the uneven yard and fell backwards. Thankfully, the stone missed him but he tweaked his calf a little.

We lined them up and went at them, back and fourth, until we were cooked.

Tire: we rotated through fliping it until we had atleast 50+ flips in.

Deadlift: before we could eat supper, I made everyone deadlift 435 for good measure. Jedd and smitty rose to the challenge. That weight aint shit, but afer 3+ hours in the sun, busting your balls, it is a load. Jedd's tall ass looked like an elevator lifitng that shit! :laugh

We also did a bunch of grip.

We then grubbed, loaded their stones into the truck and they took off.

an hour later their truck broke down. So, in true Diesel Crew fashion, Jedd and Smitty had an hour long grip workout in the Sheetz parking lot while waiting for the roll back to take em' home. I heard there were some PRs set as well ;)

They got home at about 5:30 am....hell of a day and a hell of a workout, but I am glad that they made it home safe and sound.

Next weekend, I travel to Crew Headquarters to do it again. I cant wait! :yikes

Rick Walker :rock

Sounds like a fun time.

I do agree that a 1 armed farmers is a strange event choice. It is strange that a 2 armed farmers is so much easier than a 1 armed farmers, even though you are carrying double the weight.

I knew that once Jedd fixed his technique on the log he would hit a PR. When i first started training with a log my best log press was some 25 pounds lower than my best pushpress with a barbell.

Yesterday was one of the longest days in my life. Got up at 5:45 on Saturday morning and got home at 5:30 Sunday morning. When you are sitting in the truck in the sheetz parking lot after training grip for an hour, even simple things get interesting. I had tried to throw a Mountain Dew big slam bottle into the back of the truck, but it flew over the side, rolled about 20 yards and this big ass Diesel truck drove over it, disintegrating it. Smitty and I marveled at it for at least half an hour.

I ended up calling just about every Gripboard member whose number I had. I would have called more, but it was getting late.

Setting PR's at Sheetz is pretty cool. I lifted the half 110lb Diesel Block to lockout several times, holding it for counts of three and above several times, while breaking it from the ground at least a dozen times. That was all right handed. Left wasn't as good, although usually my left hand is my pinch hand. I did stroll across the twilit parking lot with it lefty though, about 15 strides. That was a big one for me because I haven't been able to pinch for shit lately.

All of the advice you guys gave me on the log helped. I am still not doing it perfectly, but I have already felt improvement. Keeping my head straight through instead of looking up is a tough habit to break, but it allowed me to get 280 up to lockout.

Big thanks to Rick and family for having us over. Rick's wife made up some great steaks, which Rick had maranated. All in all a great day, although my dad's truck might just have had it. Looks like a head gasket might have bitten the dust this time.

The 360 stone is remarkable, by the way Rick. Very smooth and well made, it is a 310 or so model, but has 50 pounds of metal shit in it making it tip the scales and keeping it glued to the ground. We had to call OSHA for a license to team lift it into the back of the truck. I am hopeful that by this time next summer I will be placing it atop barrels and such.

-Jedd-

HI GUYS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY OTHER THAN THE TRUCK BREAKING DOWN, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A FEW STONES TO START OUT . BTW I LIVE OUTSIDE ALBANY N.Y. :dry

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A FEW STONES TO START OUT

Well, if you have the $$, buy granite stones. Lord knows I will someday have a complete set (like Terminator!). Get em' here: www.atomicathletic.com

If you are cheap, like me, you can make them yourself via this method: The messy way to make stones-but cheap

Or, buy actual molds from here: Slater molds

I have the 20" mold and it makes a HUGE ball.

Good luck-

Rick Walker :rock