Updated Competitor List For The 2004 Europeans

Mikael Siversson

Sorry to hear that. It is easy to go overboard on training. In the future he should perhaps focus on event training that close to a contest. I think that would produce the best result. Other types of grip training can be done to build a base but should be dropped approaching the competition IMO. Anyway I hope he heals up well and will make a run for the next German championship to qualify for the 2005 Europeans. I will talk to David and Arne about getting a replacement. It may have to be yet another Swede considering we are so close to the competition in time.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• the swiss

Franky,

This is a shame. Tell Thomas all the best from me and I hope he recovers quickly.

As Mikael says It's best to contest train only now so close to the event. I event trained last night, and will do them again Sunday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday and finally Tuesday (5 more sessions). I also do some other grip/wrist stuff but it is either rehab or areas I need to train for the contest.

My injuries are nearly gone, and I'm now putting some nice figures together. I had a good training session with Nick McKinless yesterday, and am ready for Dean Bolt on sunday.

All for now,

David

Hi,

thanks for the good wishes for Thomas. I will meet Thomas and Erik next saturday for an event training for Erik.

Please don't expect too much of the german competitors. We have only one year of experience here.

Erik and Flo both are armwrestlers and Flo has shown some really good performances on grippers lately (for german circumstances). So he closed an Elite an can force shut a (non-easy) #4 and do a hold at 5mm. (1/4" - 1/8").

Erik himself has incredible good talents:

He closed his #3 in only 6 weeks (I closed it the first time two weeks ago after 1 and half year of hardcore gripper training, this thing is tough).

He was a world record holder in the stone throwing decathlon.

I met him two weeks ago at a highlander contest (which he did win) weighing 380lbs.

His problem (considering the EC) is that he participates in EACH contest in the strongmen or armwrestling area.

So theres no much (if any!) time left for griptraining.

So again, please don't expect much from the germans. They are proud to participate at such an event and are really excited to meet the BIG DOGS.

Franky

sad to hear this about Thomas. next time.

the other germans sound strong!!

Mikael I am flattered by your guess that I'll be third in bending, but somehow I really doubt this will happen. Mobster for one will be anxious to get some medals!! Plus, with little training, the strongmen are capable of making some great numbers. It is really a matter of technique for them. I am guessing that a strongman of international class, can, in as little as 2 months, bend 280kg bars.

But it doesn't matter. I'm really looking forwad to meeting all these sensational athletes in two weeks.

Edited by the swiss

Tis true about the pinch - I let myself down on that previously. Lifting a good weight here on my set up did not equate to the same on the platform but I have bettered my comp PB by a few kilos and may well be in the running for 3rd-4th (based on previous event results).

My left gripper work is still not as good as it ought to be.

V bar - I'm close to 300lbs on my right and just a few kilos behind on my left.

C/bars - coming back v quickly to the point that in the last 2 sessions I have completely folded and snapped my warm up nails and feel that the 260 k bar may just settle in in time for the comp weekend - recovary is ok and the extreme discomfort I was getting has dulled down somewhat.

On the one hand lift I think 240-260 or about that is possible with either hand.

Like David previously if I feel I have done enough I will not unduly tire myself doing 5 unneccesary attempts and then drop weight on my next lift. I'll have a fairly good idea of what is possible and do that. I will come back with a medal of some description.

Also booked up my mate and I's tickets today.

Like David previously if I feel I have done enough I will not unduly tire myself doing 5 unneccesary attempts and then drop weight on my next lift.

Sounds like you misunderstood the rules. You have 5 attempts each hand in each event, not 5 attempts on each weight. WE use the rounds system as well. For example. You attempt 130k v-bar righty and miss, followed by a successful 125k lefty. Then it is the next guys turn, follwed by all the other ten competitors before you have your second attempts, where you can use a lighter weight with the hand you failed with if you wish.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Not sure what you mean by that. Its the same system as used in the LGC. The Iron Grip comp uses another one. You have to ask David why he did not use the same as for the Europeans.

Yes, it was me who made it just 3 attempts at the British so that it was a snappier contest, plus I had 2 contests to run (Pro and Am).

I had another good workout yesterday with Dean Bolt, just 4 training sessions to go.

David

TRAINING BEEN GOING NOT TOO WELL,MY LIFTS ARE STILL OK,BUT DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF SHOWS AND WORK I'VE HAD ON,IT'S BEEN A LITTLE HARD TO FIT EVERYTHING TOGETHER.

I'M HOPING TO GET A 'PB' IN MOST IOF THE LIFTS,BUT I FEEL I WILL HAVE ALOT OF TROUBLE WITH THE BENDING,AS IT'S HURTS THE FOREARMS SO MUCH AND I'M ABIT IOF A WIMP!!!!!

HOW ABOUT YOU, ALREADY TO GO?

Kalle Lane and Benny Wennberg finished fourth (Kalle) and third (Benny) in Sweden's Strongest Man competition (Magnus S. won of course) a few days ago. Hopefully they will be able to recharge their batteries for the European Grip Championship.

Not sure what you mean by that. Its the same system as used in the LGC. The Iron Grip comp uses another one. You have to ask David why he did not use the same as for the Europeans.

Whether 3 or 5 I don't have to take that many attempts if I don't want to - a good enough lift is all that's needed. I might want to save myself. Dean I was getting the same problem so rested 6 days and found that I can do it (bending) every other day ok.

No probs. You already have the strength it's just learning how to and when at the moment.

Kalle Lane and Benny Wennberg finished fourth (Kalle) and third (Benny) in Sweden's Strongest Man competition (Magnus S. won of course) a few days ago. Hopefully they will be able to recharge their batteries for the European Grip Championship.

Magnus is the strongest in Sweden in the few events where he has shown any results.

Benny and Kalle might very well be considered to be the strongest in overall grip competitions in Sweden.

Extreme correlation between strongman and gripstrength!

Makes me wonder what Ljungberg could do in a grip event!

If Benny and Kalle has had the time to train grip specifically as well as their most prioritated sport they will be dangerous in the Euros!

Nils

training is ok. only one workout to go before the comp.

pinch is probably going to be my weakest event. only trained it with a towel in the last month or so to save my skin.

vertical bar is a big unknown for me, as I am capable of both failing a 130, or lifting 132 easily. been lifting with skin sensible parts taped to save skin.

OHL: am aiming for triple bodyweight (225kg) nothing incredible for you guys, but would be a major PR for me.

bending: not tried any max bend last 2 weeks. upped the volume a bit. we'll see!!

see you guys soon!!

Yep. This weekend is my 40th Birthday (8th) and I am having a BBQ on the saturday (7th). Next weekend I'll be meeting my grip buddies, kicking ass and taking names (or getting my ass kicked and giving my name he he). I can't wait to see you all, share a beer and cheer each other on!

4 more training sessions for me on the lifts, and hopefully no injuries, and then I'm ready.

I'm eating well, and taking supplements for this run-in to make sure everything is being repaired.

It will be a very interesting time.

David

I did my last training session yesterday with Nick McKinless. A lot of Pinch lifting. I am injury free, with only a little skin loss and am ready now. I'm the strongest I can be at this moment, and well we shall see if it's enough. I would have liked a few more weeks training but that's life.

Let's get it on! :mosher

See you all soon.

David