Gripboard Grip Bash Vi Events Selection

EricMilfeld

Another way to go about things would be for the contestants to each do their own favorite 4 events. Each event would have a points rating and the highest points scored would be the winner.

1, 4, 5, 9

Two single handed, two double handed, perfect

1, 4, 5, 6, IMO

Another way to go about things would be for the contestants to each do their own favorite 4 events. Each event would have a points rating and the highest points scored would be the winner.

Hey, now that's an idea. How about basing the points on Grip Bash "record lifts"? For example, if the heaviest wrist curl ever performed in one of our contests is 230, and a lifter performs 200, then he would be awarded 8.70 points (200 divided by 230, multiplied by ten). Maybe we'll do this for the contest in November. What do ya'll think?

By the way, I'll let this vote for the present contest's events go for another day or so.

1)one-handed deadlift with olympic bar

2)double overhand deadlift with olympic bar

3)monkey grip (thumbless) overhand deadlift with olympic bar

4)two-handed plate pinch

5)bending for single toughest bend

6)seated wrist curl

7)reverse curl

8)Iron Mind grippers for toughest close (with reps if capable)

9)one-handed power clean with olympic bar

10)thick bar dumbbell lift using a piece of 2" PVC pipe

4, 5, 8, 9

What are the quality specs on a 1-arm clean?

-Jedd-

Here are my picks:

2, 4, 8, 10

I need some clarification on #10 ..... Can I just use a 2" dumbell with a non-revolving handle, or is the PVC supposed to make this a revolving handle lift?

Thanks

I need some clarification on #10 ..... Can I just use a 2" dumbell with a non-revolving handle, or is the PVC supposed to make this a revolving handle lift?

I was thinking of sliding a piece of PVC pipe through the plates and lifting as is. So obviously, there could be no tilt.

Jedd, how about requiring no rebending of the knees after the initial pull starts? This should further serve to make it a test strength, and not so much technique. I guess it would basically be a reverse cheat-curl from the floor. Or we could start from the standing position and commence with a reverse cheat curl.

Edited by EricMilfeld

I think PVC is specified because 2" PVC is the internal diameter. The external diameter is more like 2.25". Plus it's easy to make and cheap.

I think PVC is specified because 2" PVC is the internal diameter. The external diameter is more like 2.25". Plus it's easy to make and cheap.

The size I have in mind is actually rated at 1 1/2" (outside diameter is 1 7/8"), which is perfect for accepting olympic plates.

That would work nicely

I was thinking of sliding a piece of PVC pipe through the plates and lifting as is.  So obviously, there could be no tilt.

Thanks for clearing that up Eric!

No matter which 4 events are chosen, this will be fun as it is my first time in. :D

CJ

1, 3, 10, 9

1)one-handed deadlift with olympic bar

2)double overhand deadlift with olympic bar

3)monkey grip (thumbless) overhand deadlift with olympic bar

4)two-handed plate pinch

5)bending for single toughest bend

6)seated wrist curl

7)reverse curl

8)Iron Mind grippers for toughest close (with reps if capable)

9)one-handed power clean with olympic bar

10)thick bar dumbbell lift using a piece of 2" PVC pipe

4, 5, 8, 9

What are the quality specs on a 1-arm clean?

-Jedd-

From Eric Milfeld:

Jedd, how about requiring no rebending of the knees after the initial pull starts? This should further serve to make it a test strength, and not so much technique. I guess it would basically be a reverse cheat-curl from the floor. Or we could start from the standing position and commence with a reverse cheat curl.

I would like to change my last selection to number 10 instead of 9, just because 9 sounds too hard to adhere to those specs.

-Jedd-

Votes are in!

All but three contestants voted for the plate pinch. The thumbless deadlift, grippers, and the one-handed clean all garnered eight votes. Looks like a fun group of lifts! And with sixteen voting (I refrained from voting) the turnout may turn out to be bigger than that of the record-setting Grip Bash V! I like.

One question: I called event #9 a "power clean", but do we want to allow for any type of clean movement (including olympic style, continental, etc.)? Or do we want a more restrictive performance of the lift? Please give me some input. I'm kind of leaning towards "anything goes", as this would eliminate any unintentional "cheating".

One question: I called event #9 a "power clean", but do we want to allow for any type of clean movement (including olympic style, continental, etc.)? Or do we want a more restrictive performance of the lift? Please give me some input. I'm kind of leaning towards "anything goes", as this would eliminate any unintentional "cheating".

Eric, How about a one hand anyhow to the shoulder or even overhead?

This would eliminate cheating all together for that movement and keep it a lift where the grip is a limiting factor.

-Jedd-

Eric, How about a one hand anyhow to the shoulder or even overhead?

This would eliminate cheating all together for that movement and keep it a lift where the grip is a limiting factor.

I guess we'll go to to the shoulder using a one-hand anyhow. Thanks for the input guys.