Gripboard Grip Bash Vi Events Selection

EricMilfeld

Any ideas on events to be contested for the next Grip Bash, in August?

The following have proven to be easily contested, with rules of execution that are fairly objective:

one-arm deadlift

double overhand deadlift

plate pinch

wrist curl

reverse curl

bending

With minimal equipment we could contest a v-bar, thick bar, or a pinch block.

Any other ideas???

I know bending was competed for one of the grip bashes by sending around bending stock... but this isn't too easy for international competition.... and I think any gripper event is hard given the variation in strength.

Of the already contested ones, I like those that don't require you to make equipment, and where differences in equipment don't matter, so:

- 1 or 2 hand (overhand) deads

- 1 or 2 hand plate pinch

- Wrist curl

- Reverse curl

Some other possible events with minimal equipment:

- Rope deadlift - two short-ish pieces of 1" rope, looped around bar

- Strict front lever with 8lb sledge, where strict means back of upper arm against a wall, and forearm resting on a bench - furthest distance from head wins, or most reps if you can level from the handle tip

- Bar hang with max weight - have to hold for 5 seconds, all you need is a dip/squat belt and a loading pin

- Bar hang for time with bodyweight

- Pinch for time

- Rope hang for time with bodyweight

- 1 hand DL with 1" stirrup handle - you know those rotating 1" handles on cable equipment, they're easy to get your hands on, and just attach to loading pin and lift

If I was to choose a set of events, perhaps:

- 1 hand DL with olybar

- 1 hand pinch with plates

- strict front lever with 8lb sledge

- bar hang for time with bodyweight

First three lifts would be tested for both hands and then results added together.

The bodyweight hang for time favours small guys, but the deadlift favours big guys, so evens out.

I really can't think of a crush event that can be done wihtout special equipment, or at least calibrated equipment :(

I know bending was competed for one of the grip bashes by sending around bending stock... but this isn't too easy for international competition.... and I think any gripper event is hard given the variation in strength.

It is not a problem for international competition, dude. 2Strong competed when we did that, and I don't remember him saying he had any problems.

Don't worry about the variance in grippers. With the exception of the tampered ones, which we all know about, I think they are close enough.

Let's stay away from strapholds and pinch blocks, too. Too much chance for varance from the rules.

I like the plate pinch, grippers, bending (I'll supply the stock).

I would suggest that we allow for more grippers to be used for the gripper events. We've got almost all of them, we just have to decide on an order of where they lie. Then we close our heaviest single. Does anyone think that can work?

There is also an implement I suggest we try. It is a way to mock brick lifts. Take two pieces of 12 inch 2X4 and nail them together so that you have a 4X4. At the end, duct tape a pice of PVC about 12 inches long. That is your loading pin. Lift it off the bench or table to a parallel-to-floor position for a legal lift. We can call it the Brick Block.

Can't wait guys.

-Jedd-

You can't go wrong with the old standbys like plate pinch, bending, grippers, V-bar, and the one hand deadlift.

Also, you could easily make a thick handled dumbbell out of a loading pin.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Anything that suits me such as thickbar up to 3'' and RT. Reverse curls and wrist curls.

1. 2 3/8'' non rotating handle one handed lift

2. Rolling Thunder

3. 3'' thick handle dumbbell lift

4. Reverse curl barbell lift

5. Barbell wrist curl.

:tongue

I'm with Clay. Grippers, Bending, Plate Pinch, 1 hand dl, and V-bar.

How about a hub lift using PVC pipe. 3" pipe, 1" deep?

I half made one yesterday, took about 5 minutes, really easy. I'll take a picture this afternoon.

I like having the pinch with plates in each contest as it makes for a good general comparison of everyone's progress across the competitions. But if people want to change it then maybe a one hand pinch using 2 fingers + thumb only.

Jeff

If the events are Grippers, Bending, 2 hand Plate Pinch, 1 hand dl, and 1" V-bar then this is pretty much the events for the Euro, UK, and this years Aus grip champs, so could be a nice comparative kind of thing... though 1 hand DL on an oly bar is a LOT different than using a handle.

Jedd - wasn't worried about logistics of sending bars around the globe, more the cost.

Should we vote on whether to put it to a vote? :laugh

Also, what do ya'll think about a monkey-grip (thumbless) overhand deadlift?

Also, what do ya'll think about a monkey-grip (thumbless) overhand deadlift?

I like it. :D

Edited by undertaker666

Weaver stick? We'd all have to make one of some standard size but it would only cost like less than a doller if you don't have a nail and a broom handle. I'd also be in favor of a plate pinch for time.

Eric, why not pick say 4 events from a selection of 10 using a poll?

Great idea!

I don't see a way for us to rank our choices in the form of a poll, so we'll do like we did last time and simply post four of the following events to be contested in the next Grip Bash. So please post your four selections from the following list:

1)one-handed deadlift with olympic bar

2)double overhand deadlift with olympic bar

3)monkey grip (thumbless) overhand deadlift with olympic bar

4)two-handed plate pinch

5)bending for single toughest bend

6)seated wrist curl

7)reverse curl

8)Iron Mind grippers for toughest close (with reps if capable)

9)one-handed power clean with olympic bar

10)thick bar dumbbell lift using a piece of 2" PVC pipe

Eric, I may be wrong, but if you put those 10 into a poll, then the 4 with the most votes would chosen. This would be the case inspite of our only being able to make one choice and not 4

Eric, I may be wrong, but if you put those 10 into a poll, then the 4 with the most votes would chosen. This would be the case inspite of our only being able to make one choice and not 4

Yes, you're right. I'm no statistician, but I was thinking the way I currently have it set up would give us a better representation of the most popular top four events.

Edited by EricMilfeld