Half Way To Kinney's Volume

Tom Page

I watched Joe Kinney's tape a couple of months ago for the first time in a year and got remotivated to try some different training methods. So why not try to emmulate one of the strongest grippsters routines in history.

In his tape he says he trained twice weekly, once on his grip machine and the other using spring loaded grippers up to 60 sets per workout. All he did was negatives and he mixed in some wrist rollers and especially his secret weapon. He fully credits his SW to enabling himself to close the #4.

So I had one of the guys in my shop make me a SW as close to Joe's spec's as possible and I set out to gradually and carefully catch up to his volume.

After 5 weeks I am up to 30 sets of negatives. On Wednesday I do 15 negs with the spring loaded gripper followed by 15 sets of negs on the secret weapon and on Saturday I am up to 15 sets of negs or (very heavy reps) on the Tetting grip machine followed by 15 negs on the SW. After each work out I finish with a gripper or a weight that I can do 15-20 reps with. I am going to add around 2-3 extra sets every week untill I am up to 60 :yikes The hard part is the time it takes for all of this volume. The results are coming fast though. When I started out with the SW I only had 45# loaded on it and now I am up to 60#'s. There is approximately a 2.75 multiplier in there to determine the actual weight I am doing neg's with. It hurts buts it is FUN :rock

That's dedication, Tom!

What's your goal gripper?

That's dedication, Tom!

What's your goal gripper?

Eric my goal gripper is the MM2

Good job. I thought the same thing a while back and tried his routine. But I didn't have a S/W. I then went to a 4-day on and 3-day off thing. It worked, but I'm guessing that Joe's routine would be the thing to do if one hand the machines.

Sixgun

Sounds really interesting, Tom.

How do you perform a negative?

Do you let your SW open your hand completely or do you do more

something like a hold?

You already significantly improved yourself on your device.

Have you observed a gain in closing grippers too?

Good luck with your training! :rock

Great stuff so far!

Keep at it and you will crush the MM2

Just be careful not to hurt yourself, from what I've heard Joe has some permanent wrist damage from all those heavy negatives.

Sounds really interesting, Tom.

How do you perform a negative?

Do you let your SW open your hand completely or do you do more

something like a hold?

You already significantly improved yourself on your device.

Have you observed a gain in closing grippers too?

Good luck with your training! :rock

I perform all negatives with grippers, grip machine or the SW with enough weight etc. that I have to struggle to keep it closed while it opens up with. The grip machine and Secret weapon hurt like a mother but as they say no pain...... :blush I am seeing some strength increase in the grippers but I'm thinking about mixing some strap holds in the mix.

keep up the good work. can you give me the specs to the sw. i really wanna build one now. also, what grip machine are you talking about?

Edited by Vise

I will send Bill a couple of photo's of the SW to put in my gallery. The long handle is 14.75 inch's long from the center of the swivel and the top handle is 5.5 inches long. Over all height is 32 inches. I constructed it out of spare parts around the shop like Joe did. My Grip machine is made by Warren Tetting. The way it is constructed it is the smoothest and sturdiest IMO.

Great stuff Tom.

Keep it up and you will be destroying the MM2 in no time.

:bow