Thoughts On The Double Overhand Push Style

Mikael Siversson

Hey guys,

My computer is really screwed up and won't play video's. I was wondering if one of you top benders could send me a VHS video of the different styles. I am particularly interested in this style that utilizes pec strength. Pm me if you would be interested in sending me some bending footage. I'll send some money or nails to cover the cost and effort.

Gary

After some month of bending.... i agree with Chris too

Unbraced bending is unbraced bending.

IMHO

Another important factor are body dimensions; anybody can force

benders like me (60kg of bodyweight) to isolate the wrists (16cm)

like in the slim style to bend steel cause you will make bending a game

only for big people or people with freaky genetics.

I love bending!!!! :D

The bending styles are all different movements (all involve a differing degree of wrist & pec strength) and should not be directly compared. It's like the difference between a power clean and a squat clean. Obviously greater weight can be handled by the squat clean because it utilizes the greater strength of the legs over the upper back & traps, 2 different movements even though they have the same result--the bar being shouldered. I think people should bend anyway they want but when it comes to comparing different bends, compare style to style.

(unless is it that horrible 8mm HRS stock Horne offered earlier on).

Indeed! that makes bending HRS and CRS very different (at least, for me), because that HRS is all pec power for me.

I have read this and have a few comments:

If the double overhand is all about pec strength why do I have so much difficulty using it? My pec strength is certainly not the issue, I find that when I can get my pec involved I can actually use more force than my hands can take. I end up having to pad so much I have trouble holding the nail. (My delicate hands are not the intent of my message only that I believe my pec strength is not the weak link)

I am stronger using double underhand than double overhand.

Anyone who writes that one way is easier for them than the other (under vs over) might this be due to wrist strength (rear lever is stronger than front lever, or vice versa)???

When I can apply chest strength I find it easy to bend things (at least anything up to a 60d the hardest I have attempted to date). Please no laughs, I just started down the dark side of the force :D been about 10 or 11 bending sessions since I started. Getting the metal to bend is always a matter of getting my wrists to translate that power into the metal.

Why is there so much attention to under/over/terminator style - isnt this supposed to be about bending metal? If one way is easier for you, practice it, hone your talent and dominate some steel. I am so amazed at the people who are bending big steel, after trying it I can say that those of you who are treating reds like dandelions are freaks. I don't care how you bend it, you are doing an amazing feat and I am totally impressed.

Lastly, and sorry for the long reply, I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH THIS HURTS MY HANDS.... Either I am overly sensitive, or you guys have tough hands and a pain tolerance to match.

Greg

For me, the pain lasted four months (usually for about two hours after each bending session). Now I don't feel any pain in my hands after bending, but perhaps I am not working hard enough.

I'm getting better with the pain of bending but I can sometimes feel that my body is trying to shut down during a bend to lessen the pain and it becomes a case of mind over matter to finish off the crush.

After my last volume session I could barely hold a pen for 2 hours and I was still feeling it the next day.

Still its all part of the fun!

Edited by Octogen

Some of the people who have seen me bend warn of possible carpel tunnell or other hand health problems down the road. I have had some stiffness and discomfort, but the nagging thought now in the back of my mind is that maybe they are right. Any thoughts?

Carpal tunnel is a result of a great many repetitive motions such as frequent keyboard and mouse use. Bending nails is not in this category. :calm

Austin,

I would say it is your shoulder flexibility issue on the double overhand, work on that and double overhand will be your prefered method.

This is kinda ironic that I see this topic today and I performed it in my bending workout not knowing that it was different from regular overhand. I typically use 3 different styles in a single bend on my toughest attempts. I kink it good with verticle style, then bend it further with over/understyle and then bring it into the crush down using slim style, double overhand, or "Eric's Style" and my success with using those three in that phase of the bend is about equal. I think it's sometimes a misconception that styles that are "all lower arm" are not as powerful as the others. Infact I was quite suprised just how strong I was at Brookfield's style. I regularly practice all different styles of bending for total wrist developement but it is good to have a varied arsenal handy when you are stuck at a certain point in the bend. The difficulty of different lengths of steel was mentioned, for me I overcome this using a different style. Our leverage's are all different and if your wrist can transfur the full fury of your pectorials, then you have some strong wrist my friend.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle