Training Journals

Davekline

:help I am going to start keeping a training journal to log the progress of my workouts. Are there any sugestions as to how I should set it up? Should I use a loose leaf binder or get one of those hardbound composition books available at any Staple/Office Depot/Office Max? Should I use both sides of the page, or only the fronts? Should I dedicate a single page per training day? :help

I use a regular notebook(those ones you buy for less then a buck @ almost any store) one page per workout, front and back. You might want a binder b/c you will go through notebooks FAST.

Here's a tip: be more detailed about what went on than what you think you will remember.

I think it is important to set up your journal in a way that works for you. If you like a loose-leaf binder, then use it. If you prefer a spiral notebook, use that instead. The most important thing is to find something that works well for you, so you will actually use it. If you try to use someone else's system, and you find it clumsy, or has the wrong level of detail, etc., you will eventually stop using it. This is just my opinion.

Having said that, I use a stenographers notebook (with the spiral at the top). It lays nice and flat, and I hate a notebook that will not lay flat, and keeps trying to close on me. I also find a 3-ring binder is too big, takes up too much space on my bench, and is clumsy. The steno notebook seems to be a very convenient size, and I can usually keep a pen or pencil in the spiral part.

I am usually able to fit two day's worth of workouts on a single page, and I never use the back of the page. That is not a rule or anything, I just don't use it, and you asked about that. I also prefer to make sure a workout always fits on a single page, rather than have it end up being split on two pages because it was too long. That is just a little idiosynchrosy I have.

Anyway, I think journals are an excellent tool for tracking your progress, and I applaud your decision to start one. Hopefully you also post it here so we can share your accomplishments with you. :)

Damn, I can fit my gym workouts into about two lines in a small notebook, and grip workout into one line.

I've got a hardbound composition book I use. I like to write down what I'm going to do for a workout before I start. It's a nice motivator of "I already wrote it down, so now I have to do it". Helps me through sticking points sometimes.

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to go with a binder. I use one page per day, only the front sides. The pages are plain, no lines. We'll see how this set up works.

Dave, what kind of question is this? Write in a loose leaf book, a composition book, use both sides of the paper. Knock yourself out. Do you want your hand held through every aspect of your training? Now you are asking how to set up a training log? Write your workouts down, period. For crying out loud. Maybe it is because I am getting old and my patience is wearing thin, but I am really getting tired of guys wanting every little thing spelled out for them. Make some mistakes. Don't be afraid to make them, because you will make them. That is how you will actually learn something for yourself and about yourself. When you do this, if something goes wrong with your training, you can figure out what you need to do to fix it, not run to the nearest internet board to get a pre-packaged cure from a very questionable source. It is a long journey, and if you get nothing out of it other than just lifting your weights, you have missed out on a whole other aspect of what you could really be getting out of your training. I could care less if you are pissed at me for writing this, but maybe it will make you and others think for themselves, and if I have done that, then this post has done what it was intended to accomplish. End of story.

:angry: Well excuse me for asking the question then. I just wanted some idea what others were using. Since I have started writing everything down, I have noticed that I make a concerted effort to improve each workout, whether it's getting another rep. or stepping the weight up.

Workout journals are paramount - glad to see you're making progress. Diet journals are a bitch. I tried one for 3 or 4 days and its simply too much. I'm sure there are some here that keep them though.

My log is my journal, that way I cant lose it. :D