West Coast Rt Championships & Gripboard Gathering

Clay Edgin

The West Coast Rolling Thunder Championships are being held at Venice Beach on Saturday July 17th, the same day that the USPF Venice Beach Deadlift Championship is happening. Kevin Meskew is promoting these two contests and if you are interested in competing, he can be reached at warrior01@earthlink.net or (818) 899-7555. Kevin has been busting his ass to promote grip strength this year, staging two Iron Grip Challenges and bringing Odd Haugen in to be a judge at the first contest. He's a heck of a guy who works harder than he lets on.

This is also a great opportunity to get some of the Gripboard guys together to destroy some nails, grind some grippers, and put some serious airtime under blobs and Inch dumbbells. Porkbone, Gorilla Hands, king crusher, and Meat Loaf have already expressed an interest in getting together.

I will be down in SoCal on Friday the 16th and will return Sunday the 18th. If my wife comes with me (she is undecided), we'll probably bunk up in a Motel 6 somewhere, but if I come solo then I will probably just crash on Gorilla Hands' couch.

If anyone is familiar with the Venice Beach area and can think of a place where we could get together to throw chalk around, let's hear it and get something planned.

Very cool Zach!

The idea has come up to see if the Northridge Athletic Club (site of the first Iron Grip Challenge) would be willing to host us, so I will call them tomorrow. They were really cool about having us stinking up their gym and throwing chalk around.

There are at least 15 Gripboard members here in California, the majority of which are in the southern part of the state. It would kick ass if we could get even half of them together.

I say we all bring sleeping bags and crash at Kevin's Gym.

You can never realy say you LOVE weightlifting until you have slept with weights.... :ohmy oh my..... what horrible images.....blobs....weaver sticks..... :whistel

Anyway, so are the gripboard guys meeting at the northridge athletic club to watch the RT contest or are we all gonna go watch the deadlift contest at venereal....i mean, VENICE beach? Eh....ill just call clay. he knows all

:) MEAT

Not sure that Kevin's gym is an option--still in process of getting open.

Contest will be held at the beach, not Northridge A.C.

I believe that Clay is seeking suitable space for us to play around after the RT contest.

He's one-a-them "go-getters."

Speaking of which, I better "go-get" us a place to meet huh? From my conversation with Kevin, his gym may not even be open by the time the VB RT contest rolls around.

We could actually just do our grip stuff right there at the beach after the contest, at least until it got dark. Then we'll break out the flashlights! This would give people the opportunity to compete in the RT contest if they wanted to and still do the other grip stuff afterwards.

I called and talked to the woman who runs the Northridge Athletic Center. If we were to rent the same room at NAC that we had at the IG comp, it would be $150 for like 8 hours, plus a $100 deposit. I can't see us lifting for 8 hours, but that is just how long I guessed we would need the room for - from setup to tear down. Normally, the cost is $85 per hour but we got to talking about things and that I knew some of the same people she knew and she became very at ease about the whole thing. The weekends are usually dead there, especially Sunday. She was working at the gym the day that we had the IG comp and said that since she knows what to expect in terms of the mess we make (or lack thereof) that $150 is fine. If we wanted to use their tables and chairs, that's another $50. The deposit is no big deal because we can make sure that the area is clean when we leave.

What we can do is either reserve the NAC room or see what the Venice Beach area has to offer.

Thoughts?

By the way, I'm not asking for donations or saying that it's going to cost X dollars per person to play. If you want the room at NAC, tell me and it'll get taken care of. If you want to bring a six pack of soda or chip in for pizza later, cool. I definitely don't want people to not come because they can't afford it.

And if you've got more money than you know what to do with, I'll PM you with my address. Makes all checks payable to "Uncle Clay's School for Wayward Girls With Low Self Esteem" ;)

I emailed Odd Haugen about coming and he said that if he can talk the family into making the trip, he's game to come play too.

Why don't you guys just play in the weight pen down there in Venice were the contest is going to be at?It's only five bucks per person for the day and you would get a curious crowd wondering what the hell are you guys are doing.A lot of places to eat there on the beach also.Remember to it probably won't get dark untill 7:30 or 8:00.I don't know exactly what time the weight pen closes though.Just an idea.I would also try to get there by 10:00 as parking can be a bitch after that time.I may be in the RT contest as i just found out about it through Kevin last Sat. at the Venice B.bench press meet.Have'nt used my RT in about four months so i have little time to train for it.Would like to meet some of the grip board members.

Im gonna see what I can do to make it as well. Ill have to convince the boss but hopefully I can finally make the trip down. Should be fun!

Austin

Steve's idea is good. We can play around in the cage at the beach with the clowns who train there, or even just in the sand pit behind the bleachers.

I think this is a better idea than paying anyone to let us lift stuff in a facility. It'll be hot, but fun.

RT event to be after the PL meet?

Zach

I don't know whether they're going to hold the RT contest before or after the deadlift contest. I have a call in to Kevin M, but I know he's been very busy lately and he hasn't called back. Doing our thing at the weight pit is fine with me!

Anyone know of any cheap hotels in the area within walking distance to the beach?

Clay,

When i talked with Kevin last Sat.he said the RT contest would be right after the D.L. meet.There were only twenty people doing the bench meet and it started at 12:00pm and was over by 2:00pm. I don't think the D.L. will be longer than that and maybe over even earlier do to the unpopularity of the lift.Also there was only about three guys working out their all the other guys were in the meet so i don't think you'll have a problem with any muscle heads.

I don't know the area that well for hotels as i live about 40 minutes south of Venice.

The only one i can think of on the beach is the marina pacifica hotel,walking distance to the weight area but it may be a bit pricey.I'll talk to a buddy of mine that lived down there for years he should have some ideas.

If i can answer any more questions shoot me an e-mail at bigsteve057@hotmail.com

Steve Belanger

Thanks for the info Steve. I looked at the hotel's website and it will be a minimum of $209/night to stay there. Very nice hotel though! A little cheaper if you have AAA insurance. I'll keep checking around too.

Marina International Hotel

.8 miles East of Venice Beach (city center)

$94 a night.

Check orbitz.com. there are some cheaper hotels but they are farther away (like 4 miles, you'll need to check the map for exact locations)

Thanks Jeff. I did find a Motel 6 for $70 a night (2 adults) and it is about 10-20 minutes away. Orbitz, here I come.

A couple notes:

We're going to have a thick bar deadlift challenge between Meat Loaf and myself. Not sure whether it's going to be a 2" or 3" bar. He pulls more than I do on a regular bar, so maybe the thick bar will even things up a bit! I have already paid his fiance $50 to kick him in the hamstrings the day of the contest, so I like my chances :)

Also, I'm planning on doing my MM3 certification that day. I've tried a replica of the gripper and it is a tough one. Should be very close to a max effort.

Hey Clay,

Let's do a 3" bar! I have never used a 2" or 3" but i would like to try something totally unfamiliar to me! :D

No belts allowed also. Belts are crap. A no-belt deadlift tests core strength and total body strength more IMHO.

Hey, i was wondering where Bethany got that $50 bucks she took me to dinner with.....

Hey, you should definately do your certification before our deadlift contest.

I like your homer simpson avatar! It fits you well... :blush j/k man you are much tallert than homer! :blink

Yeah, it would be cooler if we did our grip stuff/deadlifting on the weight pit. It is classic!

Dan

3" bar it is then! No belts either. I normally only wear a belt when I go over 550, but somehow I don't think that will be happening with the 3" bar...

Another quick note:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3684110239

This auction is for 500lbs of hex dumbbells. Note that they have 10 lots of these available, and these are always getting sold by the same seller so this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but it *is* a convenient one. These cannot be shipped, but one of their warehouses is in the Los Angeles area (Santa Dominguez I think). They have dumbbells from 3lbs (baby blocks?) to 120lbs.

Porkbone and I have decided to invest in one of these 500lb lots so we can split the cost and have some hex block weights. The plan is for us to pick them up late Friday or early Saturday in LA and spend some time cutting the handles off with Porkbone's portable bandsaw. If anyone who is coming to the Venice Beach gathering is interested in splitting the cost further, or helping to invest in a second 500lb lot, then let's make this happen.

If, for example, you want a 50lb hex head then you would contribute $17.50 (50lbs @ $.35 per pound) towards the lot and when we pick up the dumbbells and cut them, you'd get your 50lb hex head in person at the gathering. We also have to pay sales tax on these when they're picked up.

Edited by ClayEdgin

If I save you a 50lb hex head, will you shave my head anyway? My hair is 1/4" long now and needs a trim! I'll save a 50lb hex for you

Edited by ClayEdgin

I spoke with Kevin Meskew this morning and the entry fee for the Rolling Thunder contest is $50. I know this sounds steep but it was set by the Department of Recreations and is the same as the deadlift contest fee.

There is some info up at ironmind.com about the contest, including the fact that the winner receives a $50.00 Ironmind gift certificate and a 5 foot tall trophy. There are also some monetary incentives for anyone who can pull 300lbs on the RT or for anyone who can pull their own bodyweight.

How many guys are going or should i say entered?Iv'e sent my entry form in for the R.T. contest might do the deadlift i'm not sure on that one.Just want to see how i do with the R.T. under judged conditions.See you guys on the 17th.

Not sure who has entered yet. I haven't. I think if you call the city Dept. of Recreations you can get a head count from them?

For anyone interested, we are going to be staying at the Travelodge at 5547 W. Century Blvd near LAX. Number is (310) 649-4000.